News   Apr 19, 2024
 758     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 762     1 

Transit Update Thread Request

Ramako

Member Bio
Reaction score
Would it be possible for some considerate and knowledgeable forum member to create a master thread devoted exclusively to transit and infrastructure updates, similar to the 400ft list on the Projects and Construction board?

I don't know much about transit and infrastructure, but I've been trying to familiarize myself with the current projects in the city by going through the various threads in this forum. Unfortunately for me and other less transit-savvy posters, most of these threads are filled with debate on the finer points of transportation philosophy that are extraneous to the given project. Actual substantive updates are few and far between, and for the less knowledgeable, such as myself, this makes it very difficult to follow a given thread or project.

For example, I'd love to know what the current status is on projects like the Yonge Extension, the DRL, or the Sheppard LRT but when I read the threads I see nothing but scores of pages of vitriolic techno-babble about ridership stats and train configurations. I can't make heads or tails of what's actually happening on the ground or in city hall.

Perhaps the Transit Glossary sticky can be modified to include general project status updates.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I see nothing but scores of pages of vitriolic techno-babble about ridership stats and train configurations.

Haha--too true! It's why I don't read them most of the time. Great idea though.

A listing of transit projects with maps, a short description, status and estimated completion would be nice? It would also be nice to have it stickied (correct spelling?).

Perhaps if there were threads that were strictly informational ... with other threads that were just for debate.

I fear that vitriolic techno-babble would quickly make its way into the proposed thread, followed by vigorous debate, which of course should simply be non-existent in an update thread. Such is the nature of this forum..

I'm thinking about investing in a transit line along King Street.

What kind of cladding is best for the stations? I hope it's not precast.

Any updates?

I hope the trains don't have green glass windows.

This station is ugly. I hate boxes. They should have tunnelled it like London.

Do you think the line will be delayed due to financing trouble?

Any updates?

Is a 2000 square foot station at Jarvis with two escalators a better investment than a 1500 square foot station at Bay with one escalator but a PATH connection?

Does anyone have any information about this project?

I checked with the sales centre and they said 70% of the stations had been built but when I looked at the model in the sales centre only 50% of the stations were rendered...do you think they'll build a station at Bathurst?

Any updates?

Will they let me upgrade to hardwood floors on the platforms?

Is the line cancelled? I heard GO bought the line and might extend it to Etobicoke, but my friend said they only have permission to go as far as Dufferin.

I'll take a photo and post it here every time another metre of track is completed, but I can only take photos in the mornings, so someone else is going to have to take photos of construction in the afternoon...we don't want to miss a single load of concrete going in or a scoop of dirt coming out.

Any updates?

Last edited:
Projects and Construction threads aren't always bastions of clear and succinct information...

Exactly, and that's why there's a very useful stickied thread in Projects and Construction board here that summarizes the current status of all the projects in the city. Why not have one for major transit projects?

Some basic points:

What the proposal is (LRT, subway, etc.)
The path or paths it is proposed to take, perhaps using a map
The current status (is it awaiting approval from the city, awaiting environmental assessment, under construction, etc.)
Projected completion date

Last edited:
Exactly, and that's why there's a very useful stickied thread in Projects and Construction board here that summarizes the current status of all the projects in the city. Why not have one for major transit projects?

A simple list is one thing, but it's harder to summarize the current status of a transit project. Skyscrapers go through a similar progression each time (sales, excavation, one floor goes up at a time, etc.) but transit projects have little in common and are not built in the same systematic way, so it'd be hard, if not impossible, to update it in any way that makes sense other than 'finished' or 'not finished.'

But, yeah, one thread with links to maps and reports and stuff would be useful. Anyone could create one, it'd just take a long time to corral and verify all the information and links, particularly since so many projects are still proposals whose precise details are not known.

The status of a transit project is easy to determine (pick one :p) :

Dead
Early Discussion
Early Planning
Final Planning
Awaiting Construction (a.k.a. planned & funded)
Under Construction
Complete
Open

Here is an example of what a list could look like for the Central Corridor LRT in Minneapolis (obviously the actual list would be for Toronto):

CENTRAL CORRIDOR LRT | Awaiting Construction | Opens 2014 | $940 Million
The Central Corridor light rail transit line will connect Downtown Minneapolis with Downtown St. Paul as well as the University of Minnesota, Prospect Park, Midway, Frogtown and Capitol areas. The line will be entirely at-grade from Downtown Minneapolis/Ballpark (Northstar transfer) station to Union Depot station in Downtown St. Paul. It will travel along the 5th Street Hiawatha LRT alignment through Downtown Minneapolis, then along a new alignment along Washington Avenue, University Avenue, Cedar Street and 4th Street. There will be 20 stations (including 5 existing stations in Downtown Minneapolis) spaced every .5 to 1 mile apart. Heavy construction will begin in late summer 2010.

Project Website: centralcorridor.org

A static summary of each project's details and stating if it's going to be built is one thing but 'updates' themselves aren't necessarily useful.

"Spadina subway extension, 2009: under construction"
"Spadina subway extension, 2010: under construction"
"Spadina subway extension, 2011: under construction"
"Spadina subway extension, 2012: under construction"
"Spadina subway extension, 2013: under construction"
etc.

I'm thinking about investing in a transit line along King Street.

What kind of cladding is best for the stations? I hope it's not precast.

Any updates?

I hope the trains don't have green glass windows.

This station is ugly. I hate boxes. They should have tunnelled it like London.

Do you think the line will be delayed due to financing trouble?

Any updates?

Is a 2000 square foot station at Jarvis with two escalators a better investment than a 1500 square foot station at Bay with one escalator but a PATH connection?

Does anyone have any information about this project?

I checked with the sales centre and they said 70% of the stations had been built but when I looked at the model in the sales centre only 50% of the stations were rendered...do you think they'll build a station at Bathurst?

Any updates?

Will they let me upgrade to hardwood floors on the platforms?

Is the line cancelled? I heard GO bought the line and might extend it to Etobicoke, but my friend said they only have permission to go as far as Dufferin.

I'll take a photo and post it here every time another metre of track is completed, but I can only take photos in the mornings, so someone else is going to have to take photos of construction in the afternoon...we don't want to miss a single load of concrete going in or a scoop of dirt coming out.

Any updates?

Okay am I the only one who laughed out loud at this post? I nominate it for post of the month.

There is a thread for GO Projects already as well LRT lines and subway. A few for others projects.

I'm in Brampton on Monday and will do an update on the station.

Thursday I'm in Burlington an planning to hit Oakville and Clarkson Station as well the 3rd track work. then there Appleby that I will be passing.

They have relocated the track work for the crossing at the Juction this weekend and welder working on it from what I could see from a distance. Piles are near the 50% mark.

IMG_aug-30-09-0037.jpg

IMG_aug-30-09-0044.jpg

Back