News   Mar 28, 2024
 103     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 230     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.3K     1 

Transit fares likely to rise

Either way, a car can get you there faster. During rush hour it takes 30-35 minutes to get from Roncesvalle to Osgode by streetcar? Sorry but myself along with the great majority of people won't pay what is soon to be $5 for that kind of service just so we can brag on how we take public transit. I totally agree with Dan e 1980, in such a situation most people would walk and then in the suburbs people would drive.

Osgoode to Roncesvalles? I think it would take you a LOT longer than 35 mins to walk there! And there is more to the day than rush hour. And...do you drive during rush hour? It can take forever to get around the city!

Some of you people are totally disconnected from reality - the idea of taking transit by itself is not gonna convince people to take the TTC. You can try and get them on guilt trips but at the end of the day, an average person will give you the finger, get in his car and drive away.

Who said it would?

Osgoode to Roncesvalles? I think it would take you a LOT longer than 35 mins to walk there!
Yes but the walk is free and gives you physical exercise.
:)

And...do you drive during rush hour? It can take forever to get around the city!
I don't know how well you drive but it takes me definetely less time to get somewhere by car during rush hour than by bus. For example, it took me 45 minutes to get to Dufferin & Steeles from Islington & Bloor during rush hour by car (very heavy traffic) and an 1 hour and 15 minutes by TTC. Heck sometimes I can even get to U of T in 20 minutes from Islington & Bloor by car while by subway if you include the walk and waiting for the train, it takes longer.

Who said it would?
A fare hike is bound to have some sort of ridership loss if the service is the same. If the fare is $3 then people will realize the amount of money they're saving by using transit is getting smaller and smaller and eventually they'll think it's not worth it.

LOL @ comparing a streetcar to a private vehicle on a crowded street.

LOL @ comparing a streetcar to a private vehicle on a crowded street to someone walking with their feet. ;)

I take Dupont St - it's always empty.

Still a stretch.

It's cheaper but a car is a luxury and most people who can afford will take it.

It can be a luxury...but sitting in traffic during rush hour is hardly a luxury for many.

Still a stretch.
I've done it many times.

It can be a luxury...but sitting in traffic during rush hour is hardly a luxury for many.
It's better than standing in a crowded streetcar that stops at every 10 metres. The subway's different though since it's not dependent on street traffic.

What would you call the Toronto School Board or Public Works? How about the Toronto Public Library or the city's biggest expense the Toronto Police Force? Such nonsense.
Those services very very seldom charge anybody. The TTC, on the other hand, does. You don't see the difference?

LOL @ comparing a streetcar to a private vehicle on a crowded street.
Either way, a car can get you there faster. During rush hour it takes 30-35 minutes to get from Roncesvalle to Osgode by streetcar? Sorry but myself along with the great majority of people won't pay what is soon to be $5 for that kind of service just so we can brag on how we take public transit. I totally agree with Dan e 1980, in such a situation most people would walk and then in the suburbs people would drive.

Some of you people are totally disconnected from reality - the idea of taking transit by itself is not gonna convince people to take the TTC. You can try and get them on guilt trips but at the end of the day, an average person will give you the finger, get in his car and drive away.

I don't know how well you drive but it takes me definetely less time to get somewhere by car during rush hour than by bus. For example, it took me 45 minutes to get to Dufferin & Steeles from Islington & Bloor during rush hour by car (very heavy traffic) and an 1 hour and 15 minutes by TTC. Heck sometimes I can even get to U of T in 20 minutes from Islington & Bloor by car while by subway if you include the walk and waiting for the train, it takes longer.

There will always be instances where cars are faster. Getting from Islington and Bloor to UofT in 20 mins during rush hour is a huge stretch. The trip to St. George is about 20 minutes...add 5 for waiting and you have a max time of 25 minutes...less during rush hour.

Besides, compare a metropass to the monthly cost of a car.

Getting from Islington and Bloor to UofT in 20 mins during rush hour is a huge stretch.
I take Dupont St - it's always empty. :D

Besides, compare a metropass to the monthly cost of a car.
It's cheaper but a car is a luxury and most people who can afford will take it.

Well, counting that both New York and Paris have higher subsidy levels combined with lower fares, those systems must have MAJOR gambling problems. Like have-had-my-legs-broken-a-few-times-already major.

Well, counting that both New York and Paris have higher subsidy levels combined with lower fares, those systems must have MAJOR gambling problems. Like have-had-my-legs-broken-a-few-times-already major.
???

The TTC kind of reminds me of a pathetic gambler that keeps on losing a great deal of money every year but thinks he's gonna come up big one day so he asks his rich cousin to bail him out each time but always comes short. In essence that's what the TTC is - a government funded pathetic gambler that keeps on losing money.

Dude, I have no idea what you're trying to say. The fact of the matter is that most people won't want to pay $3 a ride for the service that the TTC gives. Go ahead show me all the subsidy statistics you want but at the end of the day it's whether the person paying the fare boards the streetcar/bus/train that makes the difference. People don't care how much funding the TTC gets, they care about the service they get for their money spent.

Mislav:

Don't look at me; you're the one who was comparing the TTC to a hopeless gambler.

Ok there buddy, let's just say under some bizarre circumstances you, yourself, can say that, but can you honestly say average people (exclude those on this forum) say that the TTC offers better services for the price you pay than a car? If your answer is yes then this doesn't even deserve an argument and you my friend are totally disconnected from reality.

Take a family of four for example, $100/metropass x 4 = $400 x 12 = $4800/year. Do you honestly think those people, given their busy schedules, are going to sacrifice their time just so they can save 2 bucks a day and brag about how they ride transit?

:rollin

Don't look at me; you're the one who was comparing the TTC to a hopeless gambler.
I don't know what you meant by your initial statement. As for mine, the TTC is hopeless - face it man - subway lines take forever to build, bus service is horrible, fares are increasing. I can't see myself taking transit to work if it's outside downtown.

Back