News   Apr 19, 2024
 83     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 743     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.2K     2 

Transit City - Common Elements (Carhouses, station amenities, fare collection)

isittimetomoveyet

Member Bio
Reaction score
There is so much info on these boards, I was wondering if there were any kinds souls who could give a quick recap on the state of some of the TC LRT construction.

I thought I read in one of the threads (I can't seem to find it) that EA's for the Eglington line are going to wrap up this year and that shovels might be in the ground by the end of 2008. Is this true? Are there any other lines that are slated to begin construction this year as well?

Another question, that may be a stupid one, and I apologize, but during construction of these LRT projects, does the line open up for use as construction goes along or will the lines only open when construction is finished? Just curious. Thanks!

I haven't even heard about possible locations for the carbarns. They would need more than the two that exist now, Roncesvalles and Russell.
And they would need access to the Hillcrest Complex at Davenport and Bathurst for heavy maintenance. The plans call for a connection at Jane and St. Clair via St. Clair West to Bathurst Street, but only in conjunction with the Jane LRT. The Jane LRT could be built after the Eglinton LRT, unless the St. Clair extension is built first to connect with Eglinton.

A good place for a streetcar/LRT facility would be the site of the former Kodak facility at Black Creek and Eglinton. There is a big concern in that community over the loss of well paying employment.

?

With Sheppard East, Etobicoke Finch-West, and Eglinton Crossroads to be the first lines of the Transit City, I started wondering. Will they be connected somehow? Where will the carhouses be? Will a LRV on Sheppard East be able to be moved to Etobicoke Finch-West or Eglinton Crossroads in the event of a problem?
Just using the lines on the map, they don't connect. Will there be non-revenue lines? Will the subway tracks be used to move them around?
Or will each line have its own carhouse? Will any of the carhouses just be temporary until Transit City is complete?

I believe the plan is to build a temporary carshed for either Finch or Sheppard, and the other would get the first full garage facility. Eglinton would probably be serviced by non-revenue trackage down to St Clair to connect to the existing carhouses.
Building non-revenue trackage on Sheppard all the way to Yonge and then up to Finch would probably be too expensive and excessive. I would guess the first permanent garage would go to Finch, as there's space for it at Wilson Yard or possibly in the hydro corridors. Sheppard has a lot of opportunities to connect to the rest of the network in the future (Don Mills, Morningside).
But then again, Sheppard has a blue night, so unless they want to have it operate using buses there may be a major problem there to connect it down to Yonge. (Though I don't forsee LRT operation on Sheppard overnight)

299 is right.

Every transit city report to date has talked about temporary car-houses.

Another thing they need to get on with is ordering the new LRVs, The ttc plans to use the same vehicle for the replacement LRVs as for the new transit city ones, but with a double ended design.

I believe they plan to make the order for the replacement LRVs soon, but with the deliveries taking place from something like 2010 - 2015, if the transit city cars will be from the same production lines then I hope they would not have to wait until after that to start getting them.

But then again, Sheppard has a blue night, so unless they want to have it operate using buses there may be a major problem there to connect it down to Yonge. (Though I don't forsee LRT operation on Sheppard overnight)
This brings up a good question: what is going to happen with overnight service on TC routes? Will the lines be shut down and bustituted for Blue Night service? I can see this being probable at least on Sheppard, given how running a Blue Night bus from Yonge to Don Mills and then forcing a transfer is just stupid. But what about the others? I'd say Eglinton is the next most likely to be bustituted, given the long underground portion, but lines like Jane, Finch West, and Don Mills basically follow the Blue Night routes on those streets, so does it really make sense to bring in all the LRT vehicles and replace them with buses for four hours per night?

^ Why not? Bloor-Danforth has buses for only four hours. I know it's not the same with subway trains vs. LRVs, but there are dedicated Blue Night stops. There will not be the demand on the overnight routes that would require vehicles with higher capacities, nor is there the traffic that would slow down the buses and require a dedicated ROW. Overall, I don't think TC will affect the Blue Night service even on the same routes. Local stop can and should be maintained on Blue NIght routes along Finch W, Eglinton, Sheppard E etc.

The Toronto Civic Railway had built temporary carhouses on 1574 Bloor Street West at Indian Road in 1915 and 2120-2122 Gerrard Street East at Morton Road (later Kildonan Road) in 1912 to store their vehicles. They were sold off with the establishment of the Toronto Transportation Commission.
I guess the Toronto Transit Commission could do the same using hydro right-of-ways as a temporary storage measure.

fo1231%5Cf1231_it0399.jpg

Another thing they need to get on with is ordering the new LRVs, The ttc plans to use the same vehicle for the replacement LRVs as for the new transit city ones, but with a double ended design.

I believe they plan to make the order for the replacement LRVs soon, but with the deliveries taking place from something like 2010 - 2015, if the transit city cars will be from the same production lines then I hope they would not have to wait until after that to start getting them.

It was stated at a Commissioner Meeting a few month ago, TC vehicles will have to be redesign since they are double end while the first order are single end.

Double end will have doors on both sides while the single end will see doors on one side.

Since this contract is not going to be place until late 2008 if funding is in place, scrap the single end 100% and move to double end from day one as it will save millions in design as well in fabrication cost.

It also prevent moving some of TC cars to the existing system to provide more service that will be require over time or cover cars going through midlife rebuilt. TTC doesn't have enough cars today.

Total lack of vision.

To pull the cord or not pull the cord, that is the question?

Whether it is nobler in our minds to indicate your desire to disembark at the next Transit City station by raising your arm to pull the cord. Or, have the car/train stop at every station, and face the slings and arrows of no one getting off or on.

What say you, fair traveler?

Since both stop and vehicle frequencies will be reduced and since vehicles will be larger than buses, it's guaranteed that every stop will be used virtually all the time...so they might as well stop as every stop.

Back