News   Apr 16, 2024
 540     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 431     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 790     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

Exactly what I expected from Gehry...looks simple, but upon closer inspection it is complicated and BRILLIANT!

Photo update:

20080223AGO001.jpg

From Dundas and McCaul.

20080223AGO002.jpg

Supports for the eastern "tear".

20080223AGO003.jpg

Close up.

20080223AGO004.jpg

South facade.

20080223AGO005.jpg

Blue titanium under the sun.

20080223AGO006.jpg

Old atrium.

20080223AGO007.jpg

Temporary south staircase enclosure.

20080223AGO008.jpg

West emergency egress stairs.

20080223AGO009.jpg

Galleria Italia from the west.

20080223AGO010.jpg

Viewed whole.

20080223AGO011.jpg

Future entrance.

20080223AGO012.jpg

Back to the McCaul end.

AoD

that first picture really shows what a sexy beast this is.

from all these flattering posts, i take it i am the only one who finds this addition uninspiring and more like the departure drop-off of an airport terminal or a convention centre facade than a work of art.
i guess i will look harder next time i go past it.

from all these flattering posts, i take it i am the only one who finds this addition uninspiring and more like the departure drop-off of an airport terminal or a convention centre facade than a work of art.
i guess i will look harder next time i go past it.

Nope. I'm not a fan of the exterior either. I'm really looking forward to the inside though.

I'm not a fan of how flat and uninteresting the back wall is. Maybe the staircase will help, but I feel like it either needs more windows or something to soften it and make it look less blocky. It kind of looks like it was made of lego and they ran out of special pieces. The front is great though.

I think the tower shows a definite restraint, but it's that very restraint that allows the spiral motif to be visible as it rises from the front galleria mullions, through the interior via the serpentine ramp and interior staircases, right up through the Walker Court roof and outwards from the box in several directions in the form of presently static-looking staircases. I'm hoping their cladding adds the missing movement. If Ghery had fussed up the tower more, he'd probably blow the budget and we'd criticize the adornment as cheap or meaningless. The simple structure also nods towards the other buildings in and around the rear elevation, reinterpreting their window patterns into a singular expression. Or did I smoke too much?

^ no, I think you got that right on.

Although I would have welcomed a slight undulating to the façade, I think that the monolithic look of the tower provides an excellent backdrop for the true star: the serpentine staircase.

The stairs are going to be clad in stainless, so between the metallic sheen and the curved glass they'll have a huge 'wow' factor.

^ no, I think you got that right on.

Although I would have welcomed a slight undulating to the façade, I think that the monolithic look of the tower provides an excellent backdrop for the true star: the serpentine staircase.

I think the undulation, and the monolithicness will be solved by the proper cladding. That crazy blue titanium has a lot of personality, covering an area that large with shiney blue, pillowed, panels, will be really something.

I cladding on the stairs will help their form somewhat, but they still look really awkward, even in the renders. They feel kinky and jinky, rather than fluid.

Back