News   Apr 26, 2024
 487     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 204     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 673     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

I'll wait for the cladding to be completed before deciding, but that's certainly a loud blue colour. Maybe it's just what the area needs... we'll see.

hope this wasn't posted already, but i found this short video on the buildin.ca site- it shows a little construction progress both outside and in..

AGO video

p5

hope this wasn't posted already, but i found this short video on the buildin.ca site- it shows a little construction progress both outside and in..

AGO video

p5

Fantastic! Thanks for posting the link to the video. This is one of the reasons I keep coming back to this message board; it provides access to information I might not have found on my own.

Thanks again.

The interior looks great. I've always looked forward to going inside. The exterior never has impressed me and it still doesn't. Given the budget cladding the large box in titanium seems like a huge waste.

I would've loved to see everything in glass and wood...that could've been really interesting.

... to which I reply:

The only thing that makes the box interesting is indeed the titanium. If you had this large box in precast or brick (dare, I say uhhh... black brick), the box would look boring and without any architectural merit.

So in conclusion: money well spent.

Lol, yes sorry that's what I meant sorry for wasting posting space with a lousy sentence.

... to which I reply:

The only thing that makes the box interesting is indeed the titanium. If you had this large box in precast or brick (dare, I say uhhh... black brick), the box would look boring and without any architectural merit.

So in conclusion: money well spent.

Well, my point was that if they dumped that titanium they could've probably done something more interesting than just a box, something interesting on the interior and exterior.

^Do you have something in mind?

I suspect that if we were to get a curvy billowing Gehry structure, the skin of the building would be left without a budget so we'd end up with a nice structure with crappy cladding.

I think this is one of those instances that a boxy structure was made to look beautiful by:

a) It's not just a box. It's a a "T" shaped building hovering over the Grange with an interesting glazing treatment.

b) The gorgeous spiraling cantilevered stair case emerging from the glass and the spiral staircases on each side of the Grange House.

c) That blue cladding is going to be an awesome attraction from all the way down John St. and from around around the park.

Back