News   Apr 25, 2024
 380     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Tram-Train: Would it work here?

yrt+viva=1system

Member Bio
Reaction score
As the title says, would European style Tram-Train system work here? Would it be a more cost effective way of bridging suburban and rural towns than traditional heavy rail (railway)? Amidst all the furry of GO's RER/Expansion, the Crosstown and future Ontario Line, it almost seems like Tram-Train operations would be a good hybrid fit for certain areas in regards to nimble flexibility around development and perhaps a smaller infrastructure footprint. Doesn't seem like a mode that is discussed much or usually glossed over as just being a stereotypical urban road surface ROW rail transit.

Addendum:
-Tram-Train operations on a network that is isolated and independent of heavy railway operations (eg. CN/CP).
-Potential of hybridization of Tram-Train operations with a centralized transit mall/underground similar to Boston's Green Line with branches.

Hope others have some inputs on this mode of transportation.

Not sure what you mean by tram train. The only thing I can see happening is maybe some sort of DMU or EMU powered by battery/hydrogen.

From Wiki: A tram-train is a light-rail public transport tram vehicles running through from an urban tramway network to main-line railway lines which are shared with conventional trains. This combines the tram's flexibility and accessibility with a train's greater speed, and bridges the distance between main railway stations and a city centre.

Essentially, it's a revival of the interurban tram.

I've often though the Hurontario extension north of downtown Brampton would benefit from tram-train operation, using the ROW to Orangeville. There's limited growth opportunity north of DT, so just use it as a commuter vehicle for north Brampton, and then link to Caledon/Orangeville using a vehicles that are probably more flexible than heavy trains. Other than that, I think there's limited opportunity for this in the GGHA; could we squeeze an extra two tracks along Lakeshore West GO for the Waterfront West LRT, Bolton Line, the Guelph-Preston link that Waterloo Region is exploring. There's other abandoned branch lines out there, but the key part is the transition to street-running, and modern LRT lines are few in the GTA.

Ottawa would be a good contender since the Citadis Spirit line of LRV's is already set up for Tram-Train style operation. As well Ottawa itself is a very large region with many disconnected communities like Arnprior so you can run a Tram-Train style interurban service there. I actually made a map a while back of what this might look like (ignore some of the missing stations though; i don't really know what I was going for here).

OttawaCommuter.png

I have said for years that a Tram-Train is the best option to service Mississauga core if CP allows overhead lines until battery power can be use. Only need a short ramp from CP tracks to connect to Hurontario LRT line.

A number of places in Europe are using the Tram-train today with more in planning stage.

You can do this for a number of place in the GO system at very low cost.

Such a system would also be ideal for commuter lines in smaller centres like London/St.Thomas and Hamilton/Brantford.

These are hardly novel approaches as they are currently used all over Europe and Asia and are basically nothing more than the old style interurban.

Last edited:
Such a system would also be ideal for commuter lines in smaller centres like London/St.Thomas and Hamilton/Brantford.

These are hardly novel approaches as they are currently used all over Europe and Asia and are basically nothing more than the old style interurban.
This is what I had in mind, some of these smaller urban centres can’t justify full GO-Train operations but could find Tram-Tram/Interurban a benefit.

From Wiki: A tram-train is a light-rail public transport tram vehicles running through from an urban tramway network to main-line railway lines which are shared with conventional trains. This combines the tram's flexibility and accessibility with a train's greater speed, and bridges the distance between main railway stations and a city centre.

Essentially, it's a revival of the interurban tram.

I've often though the Hurontario extension north of downtown Brampton would benefit from tram-train operation, using the ROW to Orangeville. There's limited growth opportunity north of DT, so just use it as a commuter vehicle for north Brampton, and then link to Caledon/Orangeville using a vehicles that are probably more flexible than heavy trains. Other than that, I think there's limited opportunity for this in the GGHA; could we squeeze an extra two tracks along Lakeshore West GO for the Waterfront West LRT, Bolton Line, the Guelph-Preston link that Waterloo Region is exploring. There's other abandoned branch lines out there, but the key part is the transition to street-running, and modern LRT lines are few in the GTA.
It’s interesting how the definition of Interurban specifies a separation and isolated developing apart from heavy railroad operations. Which is different than “Tram-Train.” Did not know that until now. Perhaps I should edit the thread to include Interurban.

Back