Toronto Tower at Pier 27 | 114.9m | 35s | Cityzen | a—A

They have been busily clearing up the outside of Pier 27 and I must say I was assuming that Fernbrook were going to squeeze yet another tower onto the site. If the rendering is to be believed, it will be open space.
pier27.jpg

Is this still the plan?

I am certainly assuming that the former sales office building - which is quite elegant - will be going soon, I think that IS the site of another building. Yes?

The rendering is not accurate (i.e. just for promotional purposes). Per the site plan application, another building is going in that spot and where the sales centre is. The Fernbrook/Cityzen recently severed those plots from the rest of the site so that it can be sold to a different developer (presumably they decided it's too small a site for them to dedicate their time and resources to).

It's too bad though, as those two lots becoming a park would be wonderful (though there's not many lots that wouldn't be wonderful if they became a park).

The rendering is not accurate (i.e. just for promotional purposes). Per the site plan application, another building is going in that spot and where the sales centre is. The Fernbrook/Cityzen recently severed those plots from the rest of the site so that it can be sold to a different developer (presumably they decided it's too small a site for them to dedicate their time and resources to).

It's too bad though, as those two lots becoming a park would be wonderful (though there's not many lots that wouldn't be wonderful if they became a park).
Thanks, you note "The rendering is not accurate (i.e. just for promotional purposes). " Unfortunately this is all too often the case!

Thanks, you note "The rendering is not accurate (i.e. just for promotional purposes). " Unfortunately this is all too often the case!

Did you happen to take any pictures of the outside when you observed the progress? There hasn't been a picture posted here recently.

This relatively dead residential enclave on the downtown waterfront is quite an oddity. I always thought that the proposed park at the foot of Yonge Street would help to add some vitality and give people a reason to come to this part of the waterfront. But despite all the investment in the downtown waterfront, no funding has been provided yet for a park at the foot of Yonge Street to replace the parking lot, according to the Waterfront Toronto newsletter:

Question of the Month
We respond to dozens of emails and phone calls every month and chat with members of the public daily via social media. We've created this new section of the newsletter to share the answers to commonly asked questions. Let us know what you think!

QUESTION:
There was a park proposed for the Yonge Street Slip, when will construction begin?

RESPONSE:

The space that's currently serving as a parking lot on the east side of the Yonge Street Slip is still designated as future parkland. Currently there is no funding in place to complete the park. Once funding is secured, Waterfront Toronto and the City of Toronto can begin planning and design to be followed by construction.

I think that's a bit of a cop-out answer by WT. My understanding is that WT has not dedicated funds (or requested additional funds) to construct the park yet because of a combination of factors, largely (a) the parking lot generates profit for WT, and (b) the space may be used to temporarily act as a streetcar loop while the new underground streetcar connection is built from Queens Quay to Union Station (not sure what the status is of this, last I heard there was a new report/plan coming to City Council sometime soon).

Additionally, I'm betting WT's plan is to construct the park only around the time the area becomes fully developed - in other words, when One Yonge and Sugar Wharf are near completion. Unfortunately that's going to be a while still.

I'd absolutely love to see the park there built ASAP (a parking lot in such a prime waterfront position is u-g-l-y), but, if there is a silver lining to the delay, it may be that this park, the Queens Quay-Yonge intersection, and the Yonge slip are in such a prominent position once the area is fully developed that it could rightfully demand a huge and integrated revamp of not just the parking lot, but the whole immediate the area. I forget where I saw the picture, but there is a rendering somewhere of what the area could look like with the Queens Quay East streetcar dipping underground at Yonge, making a huge chunk of the intersection (i.e. the part above the tunnel) a pedestrian-friendly boardwalk and essentially an extension of the park. Combine that with the Westin Harbour Castle hopefully re-imagining and pedestrianizing its side of the slip, along with the new ferry terminal, a wavedeck, and a footbridge connecting each side of the slip, and this has the potential - the potential - to become a landmark area of Toronto.

I think that's a bit of a cop-out answer by WT. My understanding is that WT has not dedicated funds (or requested additional funds) to construct the park yet because of a combination of factors, largely (a) the parking lot generates profit for WT, and (b) the space may be used to temporarily act as a streetcar loop while the new underground streetcar connection is built from Queens Quay to Union Station (not sure what the status is of this, last I heard there was a new report/plan coming to City Council sometime soon).

Additionally, I'm betting WT's plan is to construct the park only around the time the area becomes fully developed - in other words, when One Yonge and Sugar Wharf are near completion. Unfortunately that's going to be a while still.

I'd absolutely love to see the park there built ASAP (a parking lot in such a prime waterfront position is u-g-l-y), but, if there is a silver lining to the delay, it may be that this park, the Queens Quay-Yonge intersection, and the Yonge slip are in such a prominent position once the area is fully developed that it could rightfully demand a huge and integrated revamp of not just the parking lot, but the whole immediate the area. I forget where I saw the picture, but there is a rendering somewhere of what the area could look like with the Queens Quay East streetcar dipping underground at Yonge, making a huge chunk of the intersection (i.e. the part above the tunnel) a pedestrian-friendly boardwalk and essentially an extension of the park. Combine that with the Westin Harbour Castle hopefully re-imagining and pedestrianizing its side of the slip, along with the new ferry terminal, a wavedeck, and a footbridge connecting each side of the slip, and this has the potential - the potential - to become a landmark area of Toronto.

From the Waterfront Transit Reset thread, as posted by @Northern Light

1593637534271.png

AoD

Back