1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 619     0 

Toronto's Prohibitive to Repair Schools

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Article outlines 14 schools which have an FCI (Facility Condition Index) score over 100%, indicating it would cheaper to replace them than repair them.

Overall, TDSB schools are now averaging 60 years of age.

Of those on the list below, I am most familiar with Secord, which has a 20-room portable-pack tacked on to the building; in addition to serious HVAC issues, not to mention having enrollment at 139% of capacity.

I know there's a been concept proposal to rebuild Ryerson elementary in the past, in concert with the City's Scadding Court Rec. Ctr/Sanderson Library etc.; they all abut Alexandra Park.

Hopefully these will become project threads here at UT in the not-too-distant future.

1580821835395.png

Article here:

TDSB School Data - FCIs and Enrollment levels:

Last edited:
Shout out to Ryerson Community School. Even though I've never officially attended classes there, that was where my parents brought me for drop-in preschool/daycare when they first arrived in Toronto.

Article outlines 14 schools which have an FCI (Facility Condition Index) score over 100%, indicating it would cheaper to replace them than repair them.

Overall, TDSB schools are now averaging 60 years of age.

Of those on the list below, I am most familiar with Secord, which has a 20-room portable-pack tacked on to the building; in addition to serious HVAC issues, not to mention having enrollment at 139% of capacity.

I know there's a been concept proposal to rebuild Ryerson elementary in the past, in concert with the City's Scadding Court Rec. Ctr/Sanderson Library etc.; they all abut Alexandra Park.

Hopefully these will become project threads here at UT in the not-too-distant future.

View attachment 229102

Article here:

TDSB School Data - FCIs and Enrollment levels:

Shouldn't York Memorial Collegiate Institute be #1? They had a little fire damage last year at that school.

Shouldn't York Memorial Collegiate Institute be #1? They had a little fire damage last year at that school.

Nope. They are already in the funding queue for building replacement; there really isn't much left to renovate, sadly. Occupancy for the new York Memorial is set for 2026; I would assume construction in 2024'ish.

The list of prohibitive to repair schools are those not yet funded for replacement, but unjustifiably expensive to fix/repair.

I hope that the TDSB doesn't wait for the schools to burn down before they get renovated like York Memo.

Not up to them.

Up to the province; ie. Lecce/Ford.

The TDSB really only has the power to make a funding request. Entirely up the province whether to say 'yes'.

Back