News   Mar 28, 2024
 502     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 327     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 339     0 

Toronto's best residential streets

I live in Cabbagetown and it’s so straight that you can see Wellesley St. from Gerrard. But I like streets that curve, as it slows traffic and is interesting. The British gave us the grid pattern, but their own cities, based on ancient walking paths and river banks are warrens of windy streets like below.

ihg-instagram-london-kelly-street.jpg

london_street.jpg

I wish we had more roads like this in Toronto.

I feel exactly the same way, and find Regent St. (2nd pic above) to be one of the most beautiful in the world.

Some of my favourite streets in Toronto are those just west of High Park, like Olympus, where they wind up and down the side of the embankment. There are also a few like that in Riverdale, like Ingham and Sparkhall.

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 11.02.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 10.56.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 10.58.47 AM.png

There are a few in Rosedale, too, like Cluny.

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 11.00.15 AM.png

Pine Crescent in Toronto's Beach neighbourhood.

One of Toronto's rare brick roads. (from Streetview)

1581265624909.png

Last edited:
I feel exactly the same way, and find Regent St. (2nd pic above) to be one of the most beautiful in the world.

Some of my favourite streets in Toronto are those just west of High Park, like Olympus, where they wind up and down the side of the embankment. There are also a few like that in Riverdale, like Ingham and Sparkhall.

View attachment 230036

View attachment 230033

View attachment 230034

There are a few in Rosedale, too, like Cluny.

View attachment 230035

Okay, @Admiral Beez, you've got me all nostalgic for London, now; forgive me a brief non-Toronto interlude for some properly curvy London streets (most of which also feature a bunch of missing middle-ish typology that is illegal in most of Toronto):

Lots all over Belgravia:

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 11.04.48 AM.png

And Mayfair:

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 11.08.07 AM.png

(with a nice little chicane thrown in here and there):

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 11.17.43 AM.png

South Ken:

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 11.11.09 AM.png

Notting Hill:

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 11.14.52 AM.png

And, of course, surrounding the south end of Regent's Park (home to literally the most expensive street in the world):

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 11.20.13 AM.png

Some beauties up in Camden Town:

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 11.24.03 AM.png

Kentish Town:

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 11.24.50 AM.png

Sigh, so lovely.

Okay, @Admiral Beez, you've got me all nostalgic for London, now; forgive me a brief non-Toronto interlude for some properly curvy London streets (most of which also feature a bunch of missing middle-ish typology that is illegal in most of Toronto):

Lots all over Belgravia:

View attachment 230037

And Mayfair:

View attachment 230038

View attachment 230041

South Ken:

View attachment 230039

Notting Hill:

View attachment 230040

And, of course, surrounding the south end of Regent's Park (home to literally the most expensive street in the world):

View attachment 230042

View attachment 230043

Kentish Town:

View attachment 230044

Sigh, so lovely.

No rusting hydro poles, no wooden poles, no wires everywhere. Just charming.

Not the best in terms of condition of buildings, but I find the built form along Andrews Ave to be interesting. It's a tucked away side street, west of Markham St, near Bathurst & Dundas West. Sort of like a working class version of Tranby Ave in the Annex, with a consistent row of Victorians aligned to the street on both sides.

1587584793842.png

Not the best in terms of condition of buildings, but I find the built form along Andrews Ave to be interesting. It's a tucked away side street, west of Markham St, near Bathurst & Dundas West. Sort of like a working class version of Tranby Ave in the Annex, with a consistent row of Victorians aligned to the street on both sides.

View attachment 242042

That totally calls for a brick woonerf!

Heritage lamp posts.

A few bright/outlandish paint jobs in burgandy, ochre, lemon yellow and royal blue........

And remove 2 parking spots for good sized trees w/room to grow!

Done!

The block party potential of that beauty! ?

Community living the "progressives" would call it.

North Dr in Etobicoke is pretty with the towering old trees.

View attachment 244830

View attachment 244829

The trees and portions of ravine there really are gorgeous.

The narrow road width is nice too.

Shame about most of the homes though.................bad taste ruins so much.

I must confess, I think some version of a sidewalk on at least one side would be highly desirable.

The trees and portions of ravine there really are gorgeous.

The narrow road width is nice too.

Shame about most of the homes though.................bad taste ruins so much.

I must confess, I think some version of a sidewalk on at least one side would be highly desirable.
I wonder if calming and transforming the road into a shared space may be preferable to adding more hard infrastructure.

Especially on a street that seems as quiet as that, there may not be a need to keep the road solely for the use of the speeding automobile. IMO, it's something that should be considered for many residential streets as well.

Kingsway Crescent in the west end is a gorgeous residential street with many of my fave homes.

Lots all over Belgravia:

View attachment 230037

And Mayfair:

View attachment 230038

View attachment 230041

South Ken:

View attachment 230039

Notting Hill:

View attachment 230040

View attachment 230042

View attachment 230043

Kentish Town:

View attachment 230044

Sigh, so lovely.
For a hot second (scrolling up from the bottom) I was excited to think these were in Toronto. You punk. I should report you for making my heart flutter and crash.

Back