Toronto Toronto Zoo Ongoing Projects | 13.5m | 2s | Toronto Zoo | Zeidler

jje1000

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not going to be a particularly busy thread since developments at the zoo are usually slower-moving, but some interesting developments from these last few years.

March 2018 Swiss Challenge RFP in response to the maglev proposal from Magnovate
http://www.torontozoo.com/pdfs/rfp/2018/Magnovate.Swiss.Challengev.2018-03-15.pdf

2016 Masterplan, which confirms that the Old Canadian Domain will be relocated among other things. Some very interesting proposals which could hopefully freshen up the zoo if implemented.
http://www.torontozoo.com/2017-01-24_TZ-MP Final Report_web.pdf

upload_2018-11-1_1-28-40.jpeg

upload_2018-11-1_1-29-34.jpeg

upload_2018-11-1_1-29-50.jpeg

upload_2018-11-1_1-29-57.jpeg

upload_2018-11-1_1-30-4.jpeg

upload_2018-11-1_1-30-28.jpeg

upload_2018-11-1_1-30-32.jpeg

upload_2018-11-1_1-30-36.jpeg

upload_2018-11-1_1-30-55.jpeg

2015-2020 Strategic Plan
http://www.torontozoo.com/FightingExtinction/Strategic Plan-web.pdf

General Budgeting
https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...ty-budget/program-agency-budgets/toronto-zoo/
2018 Operating Budget
https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/9016-Zoo-2018-Operating-CA-Public-Book.pdf
2018 Capital Program Budget
https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/9762-Zoo-2018-Capital-CA-Public-Book.pdf

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-1_1-28-40.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-1_1-28-40.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 4,002
  • upload_2018-11-1_1-29-34.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-1_1-29-34.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 3,808
  • upload_2018-11-1_1-29-50.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-1_1-29-50.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 3,190
  • upload_2018-11-1_1-29-57.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-1_1-29-57.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 4,176
  • upload_2018-11-1_1-30-4.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-1_1-30-4.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 2,918
  • upload_2018-11-1_1-30-28.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-1_1-30-28.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 2,801
  • upload_2018-11-1_1-30-32.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-1_1-30-32.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 3,577
  • upload_2018-11-1_1-30-36.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-1_1-30-36.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 2,798
  • upload_2018-11-1_1-30-55.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-1_1-30-55.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 2,718
Bring back the monorail.

Actually, just relocate the whole thing to an area that isn't at the ass end of car-dependant suburban Scarborough. Downsview could work.

Also, expand the High Park zoo so that there's something worthwhile close to downtown.

Bring back the monorail.
Actually, just relocate the whole thing to an area that isn't at the ass end of car-dependant suburban Scarborough. Downsview could work.
Also, expand the High Park zoo so that there's something worthwhile close to downtown.

I don't think relocation is a good idea given the amount of space involved - improving the access would be though (especially given the emergent Rouge Park)

AoD

I actually like the current zoo's location. The grounds are situated within the Rouge River conservation area which are gorgeous! However, I will admit it's far from the central part of the city.

This MasterPlan seems quite ambitious! Let's see what happens.

By and large, I'm not keen on zoos.

I tend to think we're better off keeping wildlife in the area where it belongs, and if we must render help for the species to survive (presumably due to human caused issues), then having that program local to the area in question would be both wise and practical.

That said, I think much of this plan moves in the right direction by expanding exhibit sizes and adjusting habitat to be more in line w/nature.

Where I think it falls short is the parking/transit/Meadowvale and Zoo Rd. area

I would prefer to see a 2 or 3-storey parking garage (or underground) w/green roof that consolidates parking into the main lot area only.

This would allow the East Campus sites to be mostly restored with perhaps a small portion going to a small, ecologically sensitive parking lot, and maybe an outdoor classroom for school groups visiting Rouge Park.

I'd prefer to see Zoo Rd. and Meadowvale at grade, rather than the highway-style interchange it is today.

As well, more attention needs to be paid on improving non-car access.

In the near-term, this means more inviting streetscape for pedestrians, and physically separated bike lanes

It also means the transit area should feature heated/air conditioned waiting area, washrooms, drinking fountains and be able to handle at least 2 artic buses loading at one time.

Eventually it might mean a connection to an LRT route spur or some such things, many decades down the road.

By and large, I'm not keen on zoos.

I tend to think we're better off keeping wildlife in the area where it belongs, and if we must render help for the species to survive (presumably due to human caused issues), then having that program local to the area in question would be both wise and practical.

That said, I think much of this plan moves in the right direction by expanding exhibit sizes and adjusting habitat to be more in line w/nature.

Where I think it falls short is the parking/transit/Meadowvale and Zoo Rd. area

I would prefer to see a 2 or 3-storey parking garage (or underground) w/green roof that consolidates parking into the main lot area only.

This would allow the East Campus sites to be mostly restored with perhaps a small portion going to a small, ecologically sensitive parking lot, and maybe an outdoor classroom for school groups visiting Rouge Park.

I'd prefer to see Zoo Rd. and Meadowvale at grade, rather than the highway-style interchange it is today.

As well, more attention needs to be paid on improving non-car access.

In the near-term, this means more inviting streetscape for pedestrians, and physically separated bike lanes

It also means the transit area should feature heated/air conditioned waiting area, washrooms, drinking fountains and be able to handle at least 2 artic buses loading at one time.

Eventually it might mean a connection to an LRT route spur or some such things, many decades down the road.

We saw what happened to the aging elephants living in an ecosystem much too cold for them. Zoos have been arguably successful in campaigning awareness for species in danger elsewhere on the planet for the many people that don't travel.

My spouse and I have been to the zoo a few times - both during mild winter days in January/February, which is actually a really great time to go. There were no large crowds for the pandas when they were there; and while some animals weren't in their outdoor exhibits, others, like the lions, were, surprisingly. It's a great place to walk and wander, though the Canadian Domain is really isolated now, especially without the "monorail" (but it has the best accessible ruins of it.)

The Toronto Wildlife Centre on-site would be great - give visitors a chance to see their work, and learn more about urban wildlife than just that poor raccoon in the enclosure already there. It could help provide a new direction for the zoo.

The interchange at the zoo on Meadowvale is arguably the most overbuilt piece of infrastructure in the city today. Does anybody know its history? Was Meadowvale planned to be extended up into York Region at the time, but later got cancelled? Essentially immediately after the interchange Meadowvale shrinks down to a tiny substandard back road with a single lane railway underpass (no 2 way traffic).

The interchange at the zoo on Meadowvale is arguably the most overbuilt piece of infrastructure in the city today. Does anybody know its history? Was Meadowvale planned to be extended up into York Region at the time, but later got cancelled? Essentially immediately after the interchange Meadowvale shrinks down to a tiny substandard back road with a single lane railway underpass (no 2 way traffic).

Very good questions! There was once a proposed Highway 48 bypass (sometimes known as Highway 448), but that was planned for an alignment further west. Traces of it can be seen in Malvern and Morningside Heights; it would have intersected the 401 at an interchange near Conlins Road, and continue north into Markham following 9th Line (the Donald Cousins Parkway follows some of that alignment). Apart from ROW protection, there wasn't any work towards it; that would have been a provincial project.

I've never seen any plans for major expansion of Meadowvale Road. The diamond interchange might have been built to accommodate traffic queuing into the zoo parking lots; sometimes it's still useful for that purpose despite lower zoo attendance. Traffic can easily be diverted to overflow lots by staff or police, better than if there was simply a left turn into the main entrance.

I wish it were closer but I wouldn’t want them to relocate. One of my favourite things about the zoo are the well established plants. Especially in the pavilions.

Back