Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox

I wished those columns above the Podium extended all the way to the top of the building.
That could have changed my mind about architectural and aesthetic merits of this project.

i agree with Lenser that it would have looked too busy or if they could use really thin columns to the top, that could be nice. anyways those columns look nice on the podium.

I understand what they are trying to do with the added protruding "columns" on the podium (create a transition from the street level buildings) but it appears to be a bit heavy handed and graceless. I would have preferred something a little more refined and/or perhaps thinner.

(heck, it looks like they stuck on a whole bunch of cellphone tower antennas)

But we already know this isn't going to be a great looking building. That ship sailed when they scrapped the refined, graceful initial design. This will be tall but architecturally forgettable.

At a certain height, balconies are utterly useless. I don’t know why so many builders insist in putting them in. I guess purchasers want them even though thry likely won’t use them?

Poll purchasers a year after move-in and I'd bet American money the vast majority would by far prefer that potential floor area was captured inside vs., stuck outside their unit. The floor and ceiling are already there! In this climate you can't or wouldn't use a balcony well over 50 % of the year. If you need a place to store sheet, buy a locker at a fraction of the price psf. Otherwise, using balconies for same complete a utter waste of money.

Poll purchasers a year after move-in and I'd bet American money the vast majority would by far prefer that potential floor area was captured inside vs., stuck outside their unit. The floor and ceiling are already there! In this climate you can't or wouldn't use a balcony well over 50 % of the year. If you need a place to store sheet, buy a locker at a fraction of the price psf. Otherwise, using balconies for same complete a utter waste of money.
I don't understand why given our climate, our zoning/building code is so anti-solarium.

Am I the only one who thinks this tower isn't that bad ? Like the first design was obviously taller and sleeker nobody can argue that. But I've noticed there seems to be something against big bulky towers in the skyscraper community. I personally don't mind it myself. I think this one has potential if they do it right.

I can understand why lots of people are anxious about this project, and understandably so.
Toronto hasn't had world class tall building since Scotia Plaza, 1 Bloor East is good but not world class IMO so we are all waiting for the messiah

867hjt.JPG

Back