E3E85EAD-C6A6-405D-BC41-8C3E2FD78D6C.jpeg
1A6A6E27-30B1-4ED1-9593-337F4E48C068.jpeg
42E05BBE-3581-42E2-9A19-36968A271117.jpeg
22CF9838-9A11-46AE-89DE-2C3E66BB6B0E.jpeg
C4193AA6-3809-4999-AE58-32A192014D0F.jpeg

Wind model by Gradient Wind Engineering:
Source: https://www.gradientwind.com/projects/ysl-residences/

From link above:
"YSL is a proposed development at the intersection of Yonge Street and Gerrard Street in Toronto. For a tower of this height in a densely built-up downtown area, careful consideration must be given to building design and performance with respect to winds. Gradient Wind was involved early on in the development process to work closely with the architects and structural engineers to create a safe and functional building design."

project_gallery_ysl-residences-new-toronto-on-4.jpg

project_gallery_ysl-residences-new-toronto-on-3.jpg

I don't see how those would be functional balconies at that height. I imagine they're louvres that continue the aesthetic and rhythm of the balconies below.

At a certain height, balconies are utterly useless. I don’t know why so many builders insist in putting them in. I guess purchasers want them even though thry likely won’t use them?

At a certain height, balconies are utterly useless. I don’t know why so many builders insist in putting them in. I guess purchasers want them even though thry likely won’t use them?

I may not know what I'm talking about but if there can be an observation deck atop skyscrapers like One World Trade Centre and Empire State Building then why can't there be balconies just as high up?

Last edited:
I may not know what I'm talking about but if there can be an observation deck atop skyscrapers like One World Trade Centre and Empire State Building then why can't their be balconies just as high up?

Absolutely. I think there's a notion that the higher up you are, it's always windier (or even howling winds). It's true to a degree. But in summer weather when it's often benign sunny and calm, convective mixing tends to even out any wind in the lowest couple of thousand feet. So there may be a breeze, but you can still enjoy a drink, soak up some rays, and the view. Or watch the CN Tower get zapped by lightning, with rolls of thunder, whilst sipping that drink , unobstructed.

Observation decks are usually inside. 18-22 floors is about as high as you want to put a balcony. Balconies higher than that are a complete waste of space and unusable. It becomes too windy to spend any time out there at all. I've ventured higher up in my building numerous times on a nice day. While my balcony was enjoyable the ones higher up were not.

If one has to, build a solarium to soak up rays, enjoy a drink, or take in the view.

Observation decks are usually inside. 18-22 floors is about as high as you want to put a balcony. Balconies higher than that are a complete waste of space and unusable. It becomes too windy to spend any time out there at all. I've ventured higher up in my building numerous times on a nice day. While my balcony was enjoyable the ones higher up were not.

If one has to, build a solarium to soak up rays, enjoy a drink, or take in the view.

There may be a point at which balconies are “a complete waste of space and unusable” but it isn’t 18-22 stories. We use our 26th floor balcony regularly in decent weather, often having our evening meal there. And, by the way, the grandchildren love it which, as any grandparent will tell you, is a major factor! I don’t see why one a number of storeys higher would not be equally pleasant.

Incidentally, there have been a lot of photos of Eau du Soleil taken from the balcony and posted on this board. I think the determining factor for balconies may not be the height but what is seen from outside on that balcony. I fully agree that a balcony hanging over the Gardiner Expressway may not be very useful.

Back