Toronto Yorkdale Shopping Centre | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

Why would the TTC spend even a penny on improving the connection? Would any improvement not be Oxford's responsibility?

TTC is responsibly for accessibility within the station that they must do, but not the connection to the mall. Up to this expansion, there was no access to the mall from street level. Now there is even if a longer walk. Those going to the GO Terminal can use the current route with luggage, or do the long way like an accessibility person will have to do.

No idea if the current walkway was done by TTC, the mall or a joint project.

Ramps will be built to TTC Standards which is 5%.

The access to and from the Yorkdale Station and the mall really needs to be upgraded. The concrete has been eroded down to form valleys or depressions. The penny-pinchers or accountants will probably want to just repair the depressions (jackhammer out the old concrete, and pour new concrete).

The access should be upgraded to be ramps (under the roadway?).

The access to and from the Yorkdale Station and the mall really needs to be upgraded. The concrete has been eroded down to form valleys or depressions. The penny-pinchers or accountants will probably want to just repair the depressions (jackhammer out the old concrete, and pour new concrete).

The access should be upgraded to be ramps (under the roadway?).
Some of the steps became safety hazards due to erosion.

If the bridge were to replaced with underground ramps, those ramps would go and go and go fer-frickin'-ever to cover the grade change, and would be hugely expensive.

I would be surprised to hear if the TTC were responsible for anything other than making the station accessible from sidewalk to platform level at one entrance, and theoretically that could be at the Ranee Avenue end where there's a bus that passes by. Quiet Ranee would likely be easier.

I believe that it's more likely that if Oxford want a fully accessible connection from the subway to the mall, (they likely do), they'll be coughing up a ton of money to build it. Elevators (or possibly wheelchair/baby carriage-sized chair lifts) could be built beside the the existing bridge for less than new ramps, and/or they might want to widen the bridge as well. It certainly needs it.

As I stated here or else where in the past, there a 3 option to make a connection to the mall.

Option 1
This will require TTC building an extension to the station to north of the current location so a walkway can be built over the expressway and connect to the new Nordstrom store who would have some say about it. This would require the existing street entrance relocated to the north side with 2 elevator running from the street level to the walkway and connecting with the platform. The fare entrance would be at both the the walkway and street level. You could use the current walkway to the GO Terminal. Very expensive to do.

Option 2
You would build a new fare level at the same hight of the current walkway with 2 elevators to the platform that would be south of the current escalators that would connect to to the platform, this new level and the existing level would be lower to street level. A ramp would be built from the walkway to the mall. This would be the cheapest.

Option 3
You remove the walkway and replace it with a tunnel since the original GO bus ramp has been removed. The tunnel would run on an angle so it line up with the existing mall area to allow for 3 elevators, stairs and escalators to connect to both levels. This will require to lower the current fare area to street level and install elevators like option 2. This will require major construction. Cost is in between 1 & 2.

From TTC point of view, option 2 would be the better way for them.

Riders will face construction for 2 years or more to the point they will have to use the street level while the current walkway is rebuilt and until the new level is built.

Any work on a better entrance pathway between Yorkdale Station and Yorkdale Mall would likely be paired with the return of the Arc en Ciel artwork in the station. See link.

yorkdale-ext-night-arcenciel.jpg

Noticed from the train that the Hudson Bay building is being painted white, along with the new logo signage that went up a while ago. It looks quite sharp, no pics sorry.

when I first saw them removing the concrete panels for the windows, I was very concerned. The old Simpsons facade is an important heritage asset if you ask me. They've done a good job of it though with the white paint coat, it looks fresh and much more modern without completely ruining the historic architecture. I like it.

Back