Toronto Yorkdale Shopping Centre | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

That A section is going to be redeveloped with mid rises as the downsview park plan shows. Sure looks like there is quite a bit of flexibility.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,200
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,154
A large helicopter was hovering low over the western portion of the mall (near the Hudson Bay steel extension part) hoisting stuff this morning. It was a very odd sight to behold driving past it on the 401 today. I'll post pics later.

It's very odd why they would even require a helicopter for such a low-rise construction site.

A large helicopter was hovering low over the western portion of the mall (near the Hudson Bay steel extension part) hoisting stuff this morning. It was a very odd sight to behold driving past it on the 401 today. I'll post pics later.

It's very odd why they would even require a helicopter for such a low-rise construction site.
I saw a video of it on CP24 earlier today. Looked like it was for some heavy-duty HVAC unit

Saw it a lot more in the 1980s. It does make sense to me. Crane capacity drops of sharply the farther they reach.

The problem is because the mall has such a large footprint. If you are looking at hoisting things to the inside of that footprint from the outside edge of it, then it is beyond the capacity of most cranes. The only cranes that can do it must be brought in special for the job on multiple trucks and take days to erect. It would be uneconomical to bring in a gigantic crane to perform a 1-day lift.

Today on the subway
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 783
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 791