Toronto York University: School of Continuing Studies | 29.26m | 5s | York University | Perkins&Will

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Member Bio
Reaction score
Perkins + Will has been selected to design York U's new School of Continuing Studies. More to follow shortly.

I don't mind the new building at all; though stunning is an over-sell.

As un-avowed enemy of brutalism, I should like the idea of the campus becoming less gloomy and more architecturally diverse.

Yet, I think I'm beginning to have an issue w/the fact I don't feel any design cohesion between the various new projects on their campus, between said projects and the original
buildings and/or see evidence of a plan to replace or alter the original building to connect the two.

I certainly don't want the buildings to all be look-alikes.

But for a campus that began w/a cohesive design philosophy, even if it is one I lack appreciation for, I find the evolution of the place a bit hodge-podgey.

I don't mind the new building at all; though stunning is an over-sell.

My thoughts exactly. This is just BlogTO doing their usual cookie-cutter clickbait headlines.

Stunning new downtown park opens in Toronto tomorrow

Stunning new student centre coming to York University

Stunning Bergeron Centre a sign of big changes at York

Stunning colour photos of Toronto in the 1950s

Stunning pub opens at base of new condo on Yonge

Stunning Visitor Centre finally opens at Fort York

Stunning mountaintop skating trail opening north of Toronto

Stunning rooftop restaurant graces the Dineen Building

Stunning restaurant opens in old Electric Circus space

Stunning hotel facade revealed at base of new condo

Stunning new condo sets the bar for design in Toronto

Stunning new sky bridge coming soon to the Eaton Centre

Stunning Stanley Kubrick exhibit lands at TIFF Lightbox

Stunning new tower proposed for Adelaide and Duncan

From the arch docs

1542041303156.png

1542041333066.png

1542041349917.png

I like the tweaks that have made the upper portion slightly more opaque. The design looks more balanced and resolved now.

Would it make sense for York to redevelop some of its many parking lots into high density residential/mixed use? I remember the uni was often facing budget deficits and growing debt. Redeveloping the land could help address that. Now, I understand paid parking is a revenue generating asset and one should not be in a hurry to get rid of those. But surely they can find a way to redevelop in a way that helps them retain ownership of the land and create new revenue streams from selling/renting out units? Perhaps also team up with the City to create some new affordable housing as well.

Back