Toronto York Harbour Club | ?m | 17s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

The thing that stands out is the almost total lack of animation at street level. Part of that is the street design which is not really designed for human circulation, and the other part is the dearth of any retail, restuarants etc. Feels like in belongs in Vaughan or Markham, but even those places arguably have more life than this.

Totally.

A little bit of this condo went a long way. I didn't mind the original towers and bases, but with this huge extension of more of the same, it went from being curious and possibly interesting to megalithically bland and lousily fussy. Why oh why couldn't they have built the second half to not look like the first half ?! Twins, twins, twins, copy, copy, copy....what should have been a really interesting new neighbourhood (it had the complex streetscape for it) feels like a zone designed to keep strangers out.

This area still has an extreme lack of retail compared to the population as well. There are maybe 3 or 4 stores along the entirety of lakeshore..

Not that I think the neighbourhood is a great success or that this is a beautiful building, but now retail is a panacea for a great urban experience? What happens when all the 20-30 somethings trek off to work in the core? Who's patronizing the shops? This is certainly not a destination area so why would anyone take the enormous financial risk of opening a store here? Would you?

I would expect there to be more than 5 stores serving 15 condo towers that are going to be here when the area is built out. a restaurant or two as well as simple things like convenience stores and other local oriented retail spaces would be ideal. I'm not looking for this to be the next mink mile, I just wish it has some more local amenities.

The new park should do fine as the centre of the area and suspect some degree of retail will surface over the years to come as this condo occupies, fort york is open beyond bathurst, and two more condos rise on the block ... plus the loblaws + towers. I live in whc phase 1 and do really like the aesthetics. I do however look forward to the other condos to bring some needed diversity in the look of the street.

24 December 2013: Yawn
6i8e.jpg

Actually that's the best angle I've seen of that development ! Nice shot.

Pics taken Dec 21, 2014

Trimmings.

iDMhLD9.jpg

q5d62PB.jpg

OrJTOVg.jpg

Attachments

• iDMhLD9.jpg
    iDMhLD9.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,083
  • q5d62PB.jpg
    q5d62PB.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,037