Toronto York Harbour Club | ?m | 17s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

Pics taken Apr 11, 2012

3ZTV0.jpg

ry0qE.jpg

iuKn8.jpg

Christ, will somebody put some retail in this area, for god's sake. It's gonna be worse than Cityplace, if they keep this up. High density neighbourhoods need retail and some god damned animation! I feel so isolated from everything when I walk through here. It's like I'm back in suburban North York. (I moved downtown to escape that misery)

I agree! What is so terrible about adding retail to these buildings? Why is it avoided like the plague here?

There is a new neighbourhood association, and retail is definitely on the radar!

How can retail be on the radar ... its not as if you can by condo units and stick retail in em :) ... its a different story if there live or work units on the bottom floors ? But I don't think most of these developments have that ?

The G&M land development will surely help a lot !

Richard Witt makes it clear that retail was never intended to permeate these streets (not that I agree with him).

He also made this statement "and a neighbourhood only functions if it's predominantly residential. Toronto understands this." that I completely disagree with. All the neighbourhoods that I love in Toronto, are mixed use areas. Predominantly residential neighbourhoods belong in isolated, suburban areas, not in the central core. It's ridiculous for people to have to jump in their cars to buy milk or pick up their dry cleaning. I thought we were trying to discourage car use in downtown Toronto? If this guy, Richard Witt, is a city planner, we are in trouble.

Last edited:
How can retail be on the radar ... its not as if you can by condo units and stick retail in em :) ... its a different story if there live or work units on the bottom floors ? But I don't think most of these developments have that ?

The G&M land development will surely help a lot !
There are a number of live/work units. There are also retail units that aren't yet rented. The newer buildings like Garrison include retail.

What Witt's article does not articulate is that there is at least a small number of retail spaces in the neighbourhood, but that they are all along the margins. I'm looking forward to more buildings being complete down there so that there is a critical mass for more retail. The last time I checked a few units were sitting empty, which I take to mean that the retail is not yet attractive without a certain population down there. One unit in particular that I want to see something nice in is the southeast corner unit in the west half of waterparkcity outside of which are Vito Acconci's terrific black steel ribbon chairs. That spot needs a coffee and gelato shop, or something that would attract similar in-and-out to get that patio area animated.

Back