Toronto Yonge Sheppard Centre Renovations and Expansion | 123.13m | 35s | RioCan | BDP Quadrangle

SunnyRay;
The walkways between buildings 2, 4, 6 and the mall are owned by Riocan, not Axes Investments, the owners of Forest Laneway.
When Dollarama moves to the new unit, the store will be 3173 sq. feet larger than their current location. Dollarama tells me they will not be taking the unit next to their new store which would be an extra 6,000 sq. feet. At the high lease costs their sales volume and customer counts would not support the added footage.

The CIBC at corner of Yogne & Sheppard had doors on Yonge and double doors on Sheppard - but they were prone to wind damage

They eliminated door on Yonge and changed double doors on Sheppard to Sliding Doors earlier this month

So, the issue isn't window wall vs. curtain wall. The real issue is good window wall vs. bad window wall. Good window wall, like here, doesn't have waist-high mullions.

Stuff to outlaw because most developers won't stop on their own:

* Waist-high mullions
* Back-painted spandrel panels
* "White" spandrel that's actually toothpaste green/blue
* Grey

(*Heritage restorations that leave out cornices)

Last edited:
@condovo, if nothing else, I learned some new terminology today. Never heard of "mullions" before (much less waist-high ones; although I think a buddy played bass in "Waist-High Mullions" for a few years :p ). Nor "spandrel panels" or "cornices". Clearly I need to up my architecture/design game. :)

The Pivot (rental apartment tower) of RioCan's Yonge-Sheppard Centre is Topping-Out - the (wooden) forming and cement pouring (red crane) seems to be top of roof

IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1584.JPG

The above view is looking eastward - here, the transfer floor (thicker cement floor) support 2 (high) storey of mechanical floors along west-side of tower; looking southward at north side of tower, you see on east-side of tower - the transfer floor is one level higher (with Penthouse below) and support only 1 level of mechanical floor above
IMG_2871.JPG

Back