Toronto Yonge Sheppard Centre Renovations and Expansion | 123.13m | 35s | RioCan | BDP Quadrangle

That's the non-profit ChildCare centre operated by St.Stephen's Community House; they had information session in mall a couple weeks ago (I think they mention September after labour day as being their first day opening) - looks like they still have space for eligible families:
"Our new Yonge & Sheppard Child Care Centre is on the second floor of the Yonge Sheppard Centre in North York and welcomes children from birth to 4 years old. This newly built site offers a safe, supervised playground, nutritionist-approved hot food, and easy drop-off and pick-up with dedicated parking and subway access. We also offer diapers for infants and toddlers."
(Floor naming convention is confusing due to former moat; lower concourse is 1st, upper concourse is 2nd then non-profit childcare is on 3rd)
https://www.sschto.ca/Children/Locations/Yonge-Sheppard

I believe the Family Services Community Space is the floor above the non-profit child care centre space - looks like they still have internal construction going on. These are both the on-site retails space on 99-year lease to City for Section 37 Community Benefit - originally amounted to 10% of $200 million project which was biggest Section 37 Community Benefit score for local Councillor Filion,.... then project cost increased to $225million then $250million with recladding, complication & delays.

The other for profit ChildCare centre is in north end at foot of Pivot where old loading dock used to be)

Image from May shows Yonge Street frontage of Longo's renovation have always perplexed me; Longo's take up entire 2nd floor of mall, so why is that segment above BasilBox dark while rest of Longo's is lit up? It can't be warehouse spaces since loading dock and freight elevators are in back!

This recent image showing the same Yonge Street frontage - shows Longo's has "smaller separate stores within" along their Yonge St frontage (like many Walmart has "smaller separate stores within" like Wine Store, Hearing Aid/Optical stores, dry-cleaner, banks, flower-shop, McDonald's, etc,...). Here Longo's "smaller separate stores within" along Yonge Street frontage are:
- Starbucks (above Blaze Pizza & Sweet Jesus) - still under renovation but you can see screen folding doors that separate Starbucks from rest of Longo's
- Corks (above FiveGuys & iQ food) - red wax seal logo for Corks - Longo's own beer-wine bar/restaurant
- the Loft (above BasilBox - the previous mysterious dark area - because it's an enclosed room) - Longo's classroom for cooking lessons, meeting room, kid's parties (meeting facility available free of charge for non-profit organization)

View attachment 196116
Image from May shows Yonge Street frontage of Longo's renovation have always perplexed me; Longo's take up entire 2nd floor of mall, so why is that segment above BasilBox dark while rest of Longo's is lit up? It can't be warehouse spaces since loading dock and freight elevators are in back!

This recent image showing the same Yonge Street frontage - shows Longo's has "smaller separate stores within" along their Yonge St frontage (like many Walmart has "smaller separate stores within" like Wine Store, Hearing Aid/Optical stores, dry-cleaner, banks, flower-shop, McDonald's, etc,...). Here Longo's "smaller separate stores within" along Yonge Street frontage are:
- Starbucks (above Blaze Pizza & Sweet Jesus) - still under renovation but you can see screen folding doors that separate Starbucks from rest of Longo's
- Corks (above FiveGuys & iQ food) - red wax seal logo for Corks - Longo's own beer-wine bar/restaurant
- the Loft (above BasilBox - the previous mysterious dark area - because it's an enclosed room) - Longo's classroom for cooking lessons, meeting room, kid's parties (meeting facility available free of charge for non-profit organization)
View attachment 196117

View attachment 196118

View attachment 196120

It looks like my previous post stating Longo's Starbucks will have Yonge frontage was mistaken,... that seating area above Blaze & Sweet Jesus seems to be seating area for their Corks beer/wine bar-restaurant.

When entering Longo's
- Starbucks will be to the right
- Juice bar to the left

Layout seems to be like a "C"-shape,.... here, only seeing bits near entrance (above) and exit (below),...
As with most Longo's - emphasis on ready-made food items,...

I counted 6 cashier check-out,.... you'll also see some self-serve checkout stations

Just visited today. It's real nice (obviously since it's brand new lol). I can't see myself going to Whole Foods much anymore with Longos being available. Their food bar selection is a lot better and the prices are better as well (especially on meat).

I can't see myself going to Whole Foods much anymore with Longos being available.
I was one of the biggest Whole Foods boosters when it first opened. But over the past several months, its lustre has dimmed for us. I've had a hard time getting things I've never had issues with getting before, and the general state of their meats and vegetables is not as great as it was when they first opened.

But then again, it's all moot now -- we recently moved and go to the Coppa's on Dufferin now. :)

The food court is finally fully leased with the addition of Subway next to Tacoritto in the old Potbelly Sandwich location and The Island Caribbean Cookshop between Popeye's and Potatopia. Retail uptake is still slow with 19 units available, which includes the 2 large Sheppard Ave. units. Longo's had a great opening with people lined up at 6 AM for the 7AM opening. Features like a fresh pasta bar, burger bar, large cheese and deli meat section, beer and wine on tap, chicken or veal cutlets on a bun and a large seating area overlooking Yonge St. make Whole Foods look old and stale. Huge number of items on sale at Longo's plus 2 hours free parking. Try to find anything on sale at Whole Foods.

Why is it so difficult to find the on/off switch for exterior illuminated signage,... around here? Last December when LCBO finally opened at EmeraldPark (almost 4 year after renovation completed) - it took staff 2.5 weeks of looking for switch before figuring out exterior illuminated signage for LCBO was controlled building management.
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...-rosario-varacalli.4829/page-178#post-1402040

Now, almost a week after opening, Longo’s staff still can’t figure out how to turn on their exterior illuminated signages on Yonge St:
- one vertical & still visible since background is white
- large Longo’s signage over Basil Box - highlighted by large “NOW OPEN” signage below it - but folks can’t figure out what’s NOW OPEN” since they can’t see the Longo’s signage at night!

BTW, Longo's finally got their Yonge Street illuminated signage lights on about a week after opening.

The Cecchini Group - general contractors who designed & built interior of this Longo's & HullmarkCentre's Whole Food Market did a great job. Market-stations around perimeter and emphasis on lots of ready-made food for take out or eat-in (very much like what was originally envisioned for high-end Metro at EmeraldPark in 2012-2014).

Due to 3rd floor with escalators & large elevators, Longo's store layout is a "C"-shape; entrance at upper-right end of "C" - where you're greeted by Starbucks and Juice bar - it's a good idea to grab a drink at entrance since aisles layout for dry/can food items in middle of store is designed to keep you in store as long as possible!

Immediately, you'll see Fruit & Vegetable section - only section where wall are glossy

Most other section have matte finish wall with vertical trims to highlight food items - like Bakery section

Milk & Egg in corner:

Cheese & Deli in another corner:

Ready Made Food Items area:

Cash out,...

Grab a beer or wine at Corks - their in store beer/wine bar restaurant with plenty of seating area along Yonge frontage:

The Loft - classroom for cooking lessons:

BTW, their "Beer Fridge" will be wall fridge by cash register area - currently stocking water & juice since their Alcohol license haven't come through yet,....

Last edited:
Retail update:

Reitmans ladies clothing is returning to the second floor opposite Fuzz Wax Bar and Virgin Mobile phones is taking over the abandoned Mo's Pretzels kiosk.

Back