Toronto Yonge Sheppard Centre Renovations and Expansion | 123.13m | 35s | RioCan | BDP Quadrangle

Set to occupy the spaces fronting onto Yonge Street are LA Fitness and Longo's, while the overall expansion includes 106,000 square feet of new retail space, totalling 474,000 square feet once completed.

They're the anchor tenants but they're inside the mall. The Yonge frontage is going to five restaurants - Chipotle, Basil Box, IQ, and two that are TBD or TBA. Check out the site plan that pipolchap posted on page 15.

Boston Pizza has reopened at Gibson Square.

IMG_1541.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 769
They're the anchor tenants but they're inside the mall. The Yonge frontage is going to five restaurants - Chipotle, Basil Box, IQ, and two that are TBD or TBA. Check out the site plan that pipolchap posted on page 15.

Add Blaze Pizza and Sweet Jesus to the Yonge frontage!

Interestingly, in addition to three big banks, Meridian Credit Union is moving in.

Add Blaze Pizza and Sweet Jesus to the Yonge frontage!
Interestingly, in addition to three big banks, Meridian Credit Union is moving in.

:eek:. Luckily they're putting in a gym too.

Meridian has a tiny unit, which is weird. And there's still two restaurants plus the big Sheppard frontage unit to be announced.

A somewhat juvenile response to the article. "Inane, unintelligible" Such personal hyperbole. Forget the writer. Do you support or oppose the project; what parts of it? Offer a constructive response.

There has to be a constructive criticism on one end for me to bother. Levy does not offer such criticisms. The thing is full of ad hominem attacks and builds its argument off of quotes from uninformed comments from the general public. It completely ignores the fact that traffic will be rerouted to offset the lane reduction, or fails to show that she even so much as looked at the plans herself, instead just hearing "lane reduction" and immediately finding people in opposition to quote and write an article about it.

A somewhat juvenile response to the article. "Inane, unintelligible" Such personal hyperbole. Forget the writer. Do you support or oppose the project; what parts of it? Offer a constructive response.

The thing is with argumentative opinion pieces, you need to bring along people who might disagree with you, or else you are simply base-pandering. This article is pure populism to a certain bike hating base. There is nothing juvenile with reading the first line, feeling insulted and demeaned, and reading no further.

That all said, my honest opinion is that while bike lanes are great almost everywhere, I would support them more strongly on Doris, or Beecroft or whatever those "ring" roads are called on either side of Yonge. I bike this stretch to get to Finch and Yonge for work, and Yonge street itself is what I would call outright dangerous due to potholes, uneven pavement, and racing cars, however those other streets are quite decent and peaceful for biking generally. If they want to do bike lanes on Yonge, perhaps some other traffic calming infrastructure is needed also, like more lights between the lights they have on the longer stretches where people drive around 70-80 km/h, separated bike lanes, and a median, and car buffers for right turning cars. (I forget the name of those things, but they seem to work well in Europe where I saw them.)

^thats the plan. They are going to add two more streetlights along the stretch, and the bike lanes are going to be full protected bike lanes. It isn't just a repaint.

reimagining yonge.png

Attachments

• reimagining yonge.png
    reimagining yonge.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 577
My only big criticism of the proposal is their plan to get rid of some left turns at Yonge & Sheppard. This just seems like an inevitable traffic nightmare - the lines to turn left at Poyntz and Greenfield are going to be as bad as the 401 on-ramp, but unlike the 401 they can't give a ridiculous amount of priority to left-turning traffic at those intersections.

The visuals sure help a lot. I too am concerned though with the amount of traffic here, not sure how lessening the lane numbers, and reducing turn options will necessarily help things. People in this neighbourhood seem to drive absolutely everywhere, whether its a few blocks or across the city, at least that's how it appears to me.

My only big criticism of the proposal is their plan to get rid of some left turns at Yonge & Sheppard. This just seems like an inevitable traffic nightmare - the lines to turn left at Poyntz and Greenfield are going to be as bad as the 401 on-ramp, but unlike the 401 they can't give a ridiculous amount of priority to left-turning traffic at those intersections.

You can give more left signal priority at Poyntz and Greenfield than at Sheppard as the cross traffic isn't as strong. Lets you put more time into an advance green.

Also, a large part of the idea behind this project is to reduce auto dependancy in the area. Everyone drives everywhere because it is easy to, if the bike lanes are in and the sidewalk is a nicer place to be, people will be less inclined to. NYCC is at the point where one can make the vast majority of trips without a car, the infrastructure just doesn't support it.

Back