Toronto Yonge Sheppard Centre Renovations and Expansion | 123.13m | 35s | RioCan | BDP Quadrangle

Grande-Tron gone,.... basically all the i-beams from Cineplex movie theatre is gone,... only a few remain from the north wing - in background to your left

IMG_6080.JPG

Photo taken from North Tower along Yonge Street looking southward into upper mall floor of former SpringRolls and Mirage, Cineplex ticket-office and BostonPizza space,...
IMG_6083.JPG

Looking into the former BostonPizza space,... Notice: some of the white piping looks new,... so I think all they're doing is replacing old piping, ventilation system,.... even the HVAC unit has plastic around it to prevent dust getting into machine,... thus, I don't think they'll demolish the Upper retail level,.... just demolish the old cineplex structure,.... and rebuild on top
IMG_6100.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6080.JPG
    IMG_6080.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 2,566
  • IMG_6083.JPG
    IMG_6083.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 2,262
  • IMG_6100.JPG
    IMG_6100.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,988
They're definitely not demolishing the shell of the UpperMall level,.... This photo is like the photo 2 above, also taken from North Tower along Yonge Street looking southward into upper mall floor of former SpringRolls and Mirage, Cineplex ticket-office and BostonPizza space,... but as you can see, now they're building a concrete brick wall - this will be for the service corridor between the retail units (accessible from inside the mall) and the restaurants with Yonge frontage (to the right) http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-riocan-quadrangle.17901/page-12#post-1131858
IMG_6452.JPG

They definitely are demolishing the moat,... taking out most of the moat ceiling (pedestrian sidewalk) and walls,.... most of the moat space will be converted to storage area in the lower concourse level. To give you an idea of what the moat looks like,... this photo is the moat along Yonge just north of Sheppard looking northward,.... here you see the shell of former storefronts under the pedestrian sidewalk,... in the moat,.... most of those stores have been empty for decades,... since 2001. This used to be very heavily travelled by commuters taking a shortcut going from Sheppard bus to Sheppard-Yonge Subway station (avoiding longer walking distance via bus terminal) before they put in the Sheppard STUBway line in 2001!
IMG_6370.JPG

Photos of moat along Yonge frontage just south of north end of SheppardCentre looking southward,.... here, they've already taken demolished the ceiling-roof of the moat, which is the pedestrian sidewalk! The foreground part of the first photo, shows a sloping concrete brick wall that used to support a clear sloping roof for the GoldenGriddle, later The Keg restaurant, then a pub but been empty for decades,.... also notice what looks like a service corridor, it was actually the pedestrian access to the underground pedestrian tunnel.
IMG_6442.JPG

IMG_6437.JPG

Photos of moat along Yonge frontage just south of north end of SheppardCentre, same as previous photo position, but looking northwest towards the brick covered Joseph Shepard - Canada Building (aka Passport building),.... last photo shows the northwest corner of the moat where there's a doorway leading to the underground pedestrian tunnel that connects SheppardCentre to the Joseph Shepard Canada Building; this underground pedestrian tunnel is odd in that it runs diagonally under the intersection of Yonge and Elmhurst/Greenfield Ave. Interestingly, the sign on the doorway to the underground pedestrian tunnels says it should reopen in Fall 2017,... SheppardCentre Mall renovation should be completed in Spring 2018,... thus, it seems like they'll be staging completion of different parts of the mall at different time.
Note: Moat along Sheppard is still mostly untouched since it's accessibility ramp is still in use.
IMG_6445.JPG
IMG_6427.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6452.JPG
    IMG_6452.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,788
  • IMG_6370.JPG
    IMG_6370.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,811
  • IMG_6442.JPG
    IMG_6442.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,902
  • IMG_6437.JPG
    IMG_6437.JPG
    966.1 KB · Views: 1,722
  • IMG_6445.JPG
    IMG_6445.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,731
  • IMG_6427.JPG
    IMG_6427.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,669
Last edited:
They are tearing the last of the structural steel to the east down. Still have to remove steel along Yonge St.

The townhouses have been gutted and being rebuilt

They are tearing the last of the structural steel to the east down. Still have to remove steel along Yonge St.

The townhouses have been gutted and being rebuilt

I'll provide the photos for Drum118,.....

First photo shows rooftop Cineplex no longer has any visible i-beams left,.... maybe some still hiding in north wing behind the NorthTower,... Second photo shows the gutted townhouses along Greenfield Ave, north-side of SheppardCentre.

IMG_6480.JPG

IMG_6417.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6480.JPG
    IMG_6480.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,668
  • IMG_6417.JPG
    IMG_6417.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,688
I'll provide the photos for Drum118,.....

First photo shows rooftop Cineplex no longer has any visible i-beams left,.... maybe some still hiding in north wing behind the NorthTower,... Second photo shows the gutted townhouses along Greenfield Ave, north-side of SheppardCentre.
I have photos, but going to be a week or so before I have them on line, as here are about 2,500 to be tag and fix before I get to them,

Thanks

They recently added some marketing graphics to the construction hoarding,.... basically same images as posted before here and within SheppardCentre mall like,.... NOTE: Boston Pizza moving to GibsonSquare
IMG_7589.JPG

Something new at SheppardCenter construction site,.... art! Well, art display on construction hoarding,....
IMG_7592.JPG

IMG_7536.JPG

IMG_7591.JPG

Bonus for the art lover,... performance art,.... playing the role of "pretty but dead-bored girlfriend of guy with flashy blue car"
IMG_7551.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7592.JPG
    IMG_7592.JPG
    839.9 KB · Views: 1,416
  • IMG_7589.JPG
    IMG_7589.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,476
  • IMG_7536.JPG
    IMG_7536.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,506
  • IMG_7591.JPG
    IMG_7591.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,486
  • IMG_7551.JPG
    IMG_7551.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,479
All remnants of Grande-TRON,... the former Grande-Cineplex theatre added on top of the SheppardCentre mall around 1998 is basically now gone,.... only memories remain,....

IMG_7962.JPG
IMG_7945.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7962.JPG
    IMG_7962.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,264
  • IMG_7945.JPG
    IMG_7945.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,186
Chipotle bailed? Boooo! And I hope they bring back the Burger King -- Whopper Wednesday is my kryptonite.

I see that the list of confirmed tenants does not include Longo's or the LA Fitness, which both feature prominently in the renderings:

http://riocan.com/development-portfolio/development/yonge-sheppard-centre

Indeed, it only lists current or previous tenants. Does this mean that Longo's (and the others) is not a sure thing?

Basil Box is amazing. I really hope they come. I work at this place, and when I forget to bring my lunch it really sucks eating McDonald's all the time.

Chipotle bailed? Boooo! And I hope they bring back the Burger King -- Whopper Wednesday is my kryptonite.

I see that the list of confirmed tenants does not include Longo's or the LA Fitness, which both feature prominently in the renderings:

http://riocan.com/development-portfolio/development/yonge-sheppard-centre

Indeed, it only lists current or previous tenants. Does this mean that Longo's (and the others) is not a sure thing?

BostonPizza is also featured in the renderings but they bailed to GibsonSquare,...

Don't worry,..... Longo's and LA-Fitness signed on lease thus, as long as RioCan and Kingsett can deliver SheppardCentre retail units on time everything cool, everything on schedule,.... so you can eat all the grain-fed steak you can find at Longo's,... and then sweat it off at LA-Fitness.

Chipotle and Basil Box are still committed so far, with Yonge St frontages. I'm curious who will take the second floor restaurant.

Back