Toronto Yonge Sheppard Centre Renovations and Expansion | 123.13m | 35s | RioCan | BDP Quadrangle

The Sheppard Centre's office buildings have good facades. The precast concrete provides bold geometric framing which contrasts with the lightness of the windows--a look that's bold yet restrained. A generic recladding project would be unfortunate.

The problem is Sheppard Centre is old relative to everything around it,.... SheppardCentre was the first major development in NYCC - it opened in 1976. Since then, many newer building especially in the last 20 years. SheppardCentre looks old compared to most of the building surrounding it, especially with HullmarkCentre and EmeraldPark.

Challenge now is how to renovate SheppardCentre mall at bottom to make it look new and exciting with new 39 storey condo tower while the adjoining 3 old apartment buildings and 2 office towers from mid-70s look the same?

http://www.quadrangle.ca/our-projects/in-design/yonge-sheppard-centre
6cqzK4Y.jpg

I think there should be a relationship between old and new here too. In terms of "imitation" not being wanted though, I think if the new mall were to get the same angled cladding, that would be worthwhile. I would stick with the colouration the render shows, but I would follow the existing towers' deep, angled precast pattern. (Sorry, don't know how to best describe that.)

I think there should be a relationship between old and new here too. In terms of "imitation" not being wanted though, I think if the new mall were to get the same angled cladding, that would be worthwhile. I would stick with the colouration the render shows, but I would follow the existing towers' deep, angled precast pattern. (Sorry, don't know how to best describe that.)

From what I understand, you are referring to the protruding horizontal bands? If that is the case I agree, however I think the more important aspect to emulate would be the horizontality of cladding and windows (somewhere Le Corbusier is smiling). Even something as simple and subdued as the Hullmark Centre across the street with its repetitive white horizontal bands would be more fitting. As it stands right now, it looks confused. The taller office buildings express the horizontal nature of the building, while the more squat podium somewhat does the opposite and express a verticality with its vertical windows.

The SheppardCentre retail mall was supposed to start renovation last March 2015,.... now it looks like SheppardCentre mall renovation will start early in 2016,..... likely start with the former Cineplex space being converted into 3rd and 4th level retail space,..... Longos on 3rd and L.A.Fitness on 4th.

Half the SheppardCentre retail space is already empty,.... been empty for years but some like SpringRolls moved out about a month ago due to upcoming mall renovations,....

SheppardCentre mall renovation should be completed 2 years after they start,... thus basically completed by early 2018,...... then at that time (early 2018) they'll start demolishing, digging and construction for the 39 storey SheppardCentre condo tower,... which I'm guessing will take about 4 years to build,.... thus, everything all done by early 2022,....

Originally, to satified the required rental portion, there was to be a low rise rental component built at the south end of SheppardCentre - basically where the current GoodLifeFitness is now,..... I wonder if that's still going through,....

The plans have changed now. The condo tower is going to be a rental building.

70% of the condo units at both HullmarkCentre and EmeraldPark are rental,.... in that the real condo owner rent them out for rental income,..... by building an entire condo tower as rental units, the developer really just cuts out the middleman!

70% of the condo units at both HullmarkCentre and EmeraldPark are rental,.... in that the real condo owner rent them out for rental income,..... by building an entire condo tower as rental units, the developer really just cuts out the middleman!

No.

Last edited:
On Monday they started putting up construction fencing around SheppardCentre,.... well, just around the main Cineplex entrance on Yonge Street and its entrance inside the mall. Almost didn't notice it since the mall has been dead for soo long! The BostonPizza closed last week and been tearing up the inside, they won't be back. SpringRolls closed a few months go, they also won't be back.
IMG_6350[1].JPG

IMG_6328[1].JPG

At SheppardCentre most of the smaller stores located in middle of the mall has closed down and moved out since end of last year to make room for mall renovation which should start soon,.... likely starting at Cineplex location to split that into 2 levels for 3rd (Longos) and 4th (LA-Fitness) floors (was supposed to start last March). SheppardCentre mall renovation should last for 2 years and once that's finish, they'll start on their 39 storey condo tower - all rental units!

Some of the displaced SheppardCentre stores will be closed for a few years until the mall reopens but a few will relocate to EmeraldPark 1st floor retail level,... and open whenever EmeraldPark retail level finally passes city inspection.

Attachments

• IMG_6350[1].JPG
    IMG_6350[1].JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,582
  • IMG_6328[1].JPG
    IMG_6328[1].JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,615
Last edited:
Thank you sunnyray for all the info, not only on this project, but on the many other that you cover as well. It's much appreciated.
It's going to be a very dull year(s) ahead @ Sheppard centre, but exciting to look forward to what will be a very extensive renovation with brand new anchor tenants.

Back