Toronto Yonge Sheppard Centre Renovations and Expansion | 123.13m | 35s | RioCan | BDP Quadrangle

I can't see them demolishing the taller building at 2 Sheppard E - it has 'decent' size and probably sits over the subway station which would add complexity. However, I can see 2 new towers going up just north of this building. This would be a shame because 2 Sheppard E is terrible at how it meets the street with all those stairs going up and down.

hmmm... I'm almost sure that these 2 buildings don't sit directly over top the subway lines, but I guess it would be fairly "complex" if demolishing anything here was involved. And you're absolutely right, the way this centre meets the street is horrible... I'm able bodied and I hate climbing or descending the stairs just to enter this place.

Both subway lines here run directly under the streets they are named after, so no, Sheppard Centre does not have that added complexity to deal with.

^ Why? The Sheppard Centre is awful, inside and outside. Redevelopment is inevitable, considering the projects around it, prominent location, and development potential.

I don't agree with redevelopment as inevitable. It's already an intensely developed site. Also, the 1007 apartments have undergone renovations, the four underground levels of parking (no subway to contend with) and retail have been rehabbed and a blue chip tenant (BMO) has significant leases in both towers.

I don't agree with redevelopment as inevitable. It's already an intensely developed site. Also, the 1007 apartments have undergone renovations, the four underground levels of parking (no subway to contend with) and retail have been rehabbed and a blue chip tenant (BMO) has significant leases in both towers.

I agree on that point--whatever one thinks of the architecture and urbanism, from an embodied-energy-and-whatever-else standpoint to simply tear it down and start over seems awfully heavy-handed and wasteful. "Improve it", maybe, in the short or long term--fix the street presence, perhaps intensify on-site through a few strategic rebuilds or add-ons or makeovers; sort of like what's in store for Yonge-Eglinton and perhaps, someday, the Hudson's Bay Centre...

Kingsett Capital providing joint venture capital for the site--

KingSett and RioCan Real Estate Investment Trust To Acquire Sheppard Centre, Toronto

KingSett Capital, on behalf of its Real Estate Growth LP No. 4, announced today that it is acquiring Sheppard Centre, Toronto in a joint-venture with RioCan. Sheppard Centre is a 673,000 square foot urban mixed use centre located at the northeast corner of Yonge and Sheppard.

KingSett Capital is Canada's leading private equity real estate investment business co-investing with pension funds and high net worth individuals.

RioCan is Canada's largest real estate investment trust with a total capitalization of approximately $11.9 billion as at September 30, 2011.

I assume that the apartment towers at 2, 4 and 6 Forest Laneway are unaffected since they have a different owner.

I like the Sheppard Centre if only from an architectural point of view, not urbanistic. The apartments have crisp, clean lines, with solemn concrete vertical elements nicely contrasted with sleek glass balcony railings spanning the width of the building. The rooflines are clean. In spite of tower-in-the-park urban design, they have an impressive urban presence in terms of architecture. Sheppard Centre 4, the office tower, is my favourite. It's a minimalist composition of crisp, nicely emphasized horizontal lines, with the window blinds sometimes creating a pixelating effect. The whole centre is not spectacular, but the architecture does have some interesting details. It also deserves some recognition as one pioneering developments of North York Centre.

Keep in mind that the apartment balcony replacements are recent replacements, though. (Not that that's criminal or anything. Just "not true to the original".)

There is lot of speculation by residents that the cinemas are going to close. Anyone have any information?

'More information' ?

In a real sense....NO

However, anecdotally, I was there a few weeks back, on a Sunday Afternoon:

1 cashier
1 concession person

Very few people around, you could shoot a cannon through the place (and not hit anyone}

Sunday afternoons are usually moderately busy for cinemas.......

sooo......

Back