Toronto Yonge Sheppard Centre Renovations and Expansion | 123.13m | 35s | RioCan | BDP Quadrangle

Pivot occupancy is set for October. The website will be available in August showing rental rates and virtual viewings of various units with possible onsite tours in September.

Gotta say the repainting of the office building makes it look much cheaper, as if it's desperate to look more modern. I just hope the hoarding comes down soon enough...that area is certainly not amazing to walk around in.
It's not painted, Those are panels.

IMG_5181.JPG
IMG_5182.JPG

Reactions: PMT
But your point remains.

I disagree. I think the black paneling modernized the exterior while keeping the original brutalist design theme. With the presence of the immediate cityscape (grey roads, grey TTC station, nearby older grey apartments / condominiums, the 'pop' the black provides makes a good anchor point as you approach the intersection.

Say what you will about the green of Emerald Park and the bluish glass of Hullmark, I like how these black buildings add to the mix.

I really really wish more would be done with the immediate landscape. Yonge Street itself needs a lot of work to improve the walking environment in this neighborhood.

It went from looking 60s to looking 80s lol - I had higher expectations when this project first started. They should have gone for a lighter colour.

t went from looking 60s to looking 80s

Built in the 70's and the previous brown is certainly a early 70's thing.

Actually, now all we need is a building with some purple in it and the intersection can represent the life of a bruise. "Heme's Corner?"

It went from looking 60s to looking 80s lol - I had higher expectations when this project first started. They should have gone for a lighter colour.

Didn't it spend a long time being beige along the Yonge Street facade when the theatres were there? It stood out because it was so "beige" ...

STATE OF THE MALL:

As the city eases restrictions and stores re-open, I'm seeing the effects of poor sales from low foot traffic pre-Covid and the lengthy Covid closure. The following stores are closed permanently; GNC health products, Ricki's ladies wear, Flock chicken and IQ Foods. Most food court operators have returned and limited seating is available. These food court units have not re-opened; Freshii salads, Potatopia and Wiki Hut oriental. The minimum franchise fee for Potatopia was $150,000. Good luck to those owners. Some food units were doomed from the start with high menu prices, small portions and lack of sales or specials like Flock's $39. whole chicken and 2 sides.
Riocan received government rent subsidy support which allowed lease holders to pay only 25% of their total monthly lease, but if your monthly rent was $10,000. you were paying $2,500. per month for about 4 months with no income; not easy for "mom and pop" owners. Winners is open but sales are down. A new food outlet is going to take a chance at being profitable; Omni Palace Noodles and Grill (994 sq. ft.) between Basil Box and Five Guys Burgers. "The Shoe Company" is due to move into the old Dollarama space. Dollarama went from a cramped 6,745 sq. ft. space to a new 14,514 sq. ft. unit that's clean, bright, wide aisles, larger inventory and entrance from inside the mall or Sheppard Ave.
Riocan may take decades to recoup their more than $200 million investment. Currently, there are 21 units available for leasing and there may be more store closures if foot traffic and sales don't increase. It does not look good.

Currently listed on MLS:

Food Court:
Potopia $59K
Cooper Branch $94.9K
Villa Madina $379K
Tacorrito $389K

Yonge frontage:
Sweet Jesus #117A $239K
Flock $299K

Second Cup & Subway were for sale before,... I suspect there's a lot of stores for sale but not actively listed,... they seems to have stopped interior construction of Cactus Club restaurant

SunnyRay;
Long before Covid showed up, Jimmy the Greek and Freshii were also for sale. Some of those MLS prices are crazy. I know you're paying for the name plus equipment and any goodwill that's left but $239K for Sweet Jesus; a soft ice-cream machine and a few bowls of sprinkles. No thanks. Any potential buyer will first check their books for sales numbers, then put the roll of bills back in the pocket and run. The only units that are a little busy are A&W, Popeye's, and Thai Express but it still may not be enough to cover their overhead. The food court before Covid was packed for lunch with students from Cardinal Carter Academy across the road and office workers. The school has been closed since March and most office staff are working from home. It's going to be a long, slow recovery.

Back