Yonge & Rich Condominiums | 156.35m | 46s | Great Gulf | architectsAlliance

justken

Member Bio
Reaction score
Walked by today, here's the progress.
Concrete is poured on to Level 18/19
Glazing on Level 6-9

NE corner of the condo.

today this is the Northside of the building.

Today's Picture Standing from Victoria Street looking at the SW sides of the building.

Attachments

Lachlan Holmes

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates justken! This is turning out really unfortunately though. I predict aA will not want their name on this project much longer. I mean, just look:

From this

To this

Not even cheap precast used for the main focal point of the design. Wow. The real disappointments here are that Great Gulf is capable of building so much better looking buildings and the design as drawn by aA originally was excellent.

justken

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't blame GG for cheapening out. This project was sold in 2013, with the developer budgeting and expected the cost of 2015-2018 dollars. But now they are incurring costs in 2017-2019 So given the rise in cost, I don't doubt they are cutting corners to try to minimize losses at this point.

TheKingEast

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't blame GG for cheapening out. This project was sold in 2013, with the developer budgeting and expected the cost of 2015-2018 dollars. But now they are incurring costs in 2017-2019 So given the rise in cost, I don't doubt they are cutting corners to try to minimize losses at this point.
Is this not what all builders have to deal with? Need to see it built up more before I fully judge it but man this is looking like a hack job. aA is having a tough time lately with developers screwing up good desings...from this to Alter, to Form. Yikes!

cd concept

Member Bio
Reaction score
What just happened to the facade in the photo above. It doesn't even look like the rendering what a mess!

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Yup i can see this development being cheapened.....this thing was caught up in the city planning process for years and years and now is still a couple years from being complete

Pic taken Sept 29, 2012

westtoeast

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm pretty confident that the pictured portion isn't the same angle as the render it's being compared to. The rendered angle is looking at the side of the building with balconies whereas the picture is looking at a flat face.

I think we can probably hold our judgment for now, and I also assume the precast at the podium will be stained later on similar to how it was at 8 Mercer St.. That being said, I can't find the site plan application anywhere to actually check out the materials - can anyone locate it?

justken

Member Bio
Reaction score
Agreed let's hold our judgement until it's done. I know with PJ condos, they applied a brick overly on top of the concrete for the facade so maybe it will be the same here too...

Last edited:

pmilo

Member Bio
Reaction score
If that"s the case it brings some relief. Thank You!
Its confirmed; My balcony was cut short - possibly by 6 ft. If you look at the north tower south facing view the balcony isn't continues as any renderings or signed contract. Which also makes me believe the pre cast bricks will likely stay grey as opposed to red we were all hoping for.

justken

Member Bio
Reaction score
Its confirmed; My balcony was cut short - possibly by 6 ft. If you look at the north tower south-facing view the balcony isn't continues as any renderings or signed contract. Which also makes me believe the pre cast bricks will likely stay grey as opposed to red we were all hoping for.
Are you in the 09 Unit Esplanade or the 08 Unit Toronto? and how do you now your balcony was cut short? maybe they're going to fill it back in?

Attachments