Toronto Yonge City Square Residences | 117.09m | 32s | Gupta | Arcadis

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/l...l-approves-office-building-on-ttc-parking-lot
Community council approves office building on TTC parking lot

(...)
Jones laid out a number of concerns including the loss of TTC commuter parking spots to be replaced with tenant-only spots, fears there won't be enough parking spots for everyone using the building
(...)
Mitchell Shnier is also worried about the loss of commuter parking spaces, pointing out 130 parking spaces are soon to be lost beside the nearby Miller Tavern.
"This is a TTC property, public property, and what they're doing is discouraging people from using it," he said.
But Eglinton-Lawrence Councillor Karen Stintz said there are other parking spaces in the area and argued it is time to develop the existing parking lot.
"I think it is fair to say a parking lot is not the best use at the corner of Yonge and York Mills, Yonge and Wilson," she said.

I don't understand the problem here. If there is demand for non-tenant parking, as there seems to be, can't they dig deeper and incorporate additional parking that would be non-tenant spots rented out by the day, and even other spots to be rented out on a monthly basis? Parking spots adjacent to a subway station that is also a GO terminal -- I would have thought this would be an opportunity, not a problem!

I don't understand the problem here. If there is demand for non-tenant parking, as there seems to be, can't they dig deeper and incorporate additional parking that would be non-tenant spots rented out by the day, and even other spots to be rented out on a monthly basis? Parking spots adjacent to a subway station that is also a GO terminal -- I would have thought this would be an opportunity, not a problem!

You are in the flood plain of the Don River.

Time to stop giving land away/use for cheap parking. $10-$15 a day to park which some can afford will others cannot.

Dcn

Zoning for a seven-story office building in north Toronto with an eight-storey solar chimney, to be owned by Build Toronto, has been approved by City Council. The building, to be located at 4050 Yonge Street on the west side about a kilometre south of Highway 401, will include a total gross floor area of 480,800 square feet with 367,000 square feet of rentable area, primarily for commercial office use.
Build Toronto, a real estate and development firm owned by the city, aims to get the building certified gold under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards. Build Toronto said 4050 Yonge is expected to show a 55 per cent reduction in energy consumption compared to the Model National Energy Code for Buildings (MNECB) standard and energy savings of approximately 75 cents per square foot compared to other new LEED gold downtown buildings.
Designed by Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg (KPMB) Architects, the building will include in-floor radiant heating and cooling, a central atrium providing fresh air supply and maximizing daylight harvesting, a high-performance building skin, multiple green roofs and exterior shading. The eight-storey solar chimney is intended to facilitate natural air ventilation.
Construction is expected to begin in 2012 and the building is expected to be ready for use by 2015. The design plans includ seven-storey atrium, a four-storey grand entrance from the nearby York Mills subway station, three levels of below-grade parking for 371 reserved and public parking spaces, plus bicycle parking. In addition to office space, Build Toronto plans to have retail and restaurants, plus “direct access” to the GO bus system, which has a terminal across the road on the northeast corner of York Mills Road and Yonge Street.
DCN DIGITAL MEDIA

http://www.dcnonl.com/article/id45302?search_term=4050 yonge

hmm, no tenant yet and they'll start construction ? That doesn't seem right. Of course unless they have one.

The building, which is by KPMB, has been redesigned. Lots of information here.

4050%20Yonge%20Street%20-%20Night.png

There are more renders on the site, but they are far too large to be reposted here.

Wrong intersection. This is the parking lot at Yonge and York mills... :) Former site of the Adam Giambrone Boner Museum.

Looks decent, but shorter than I would have anticipated. But along with the SW corner proposal, it's good to see more office buildings in NYCC. Even though it could be years before these two projects officially start, it's just good to finally have solid proposals in the works/leasing. Yonge/Sheppard has been left incomplete for so long now, even though in theory it should be NYCC's most important intersection.

Isn't 4050 Yonge @ Wilson? Which is currently a parking lot.
I think the height of the proposed bldg fits in well w/ this area south of the 401.

look ok. nothing too too special. But good addition to the area and it'll fit right into with what is across the street and right next door.

If the Industrial Commercial Bank of China (currently the world's largest bank) is serious about their move to Canada, this then should be a prefect location for them to locate their head office.

Whatever happened to the new proposed TTC headquarters at Yonge & Wilson?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever happened to the new proposed TTC headquarters at Yonge & Wilson?

The TTC backed out ... I recall they said they'd attempt to market the building without them ... good luck there was over 100K square feet available in the building next door (though RBC just took a lot of that space).

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they back out because of the complaints over the loss of the existing parking lot? It was a nice looking building--that's a shame.

Did they back out because of the complaints over the loss of the existing parking lot? It was a nice looking building--that's a shame.

Could also be due to poor optics. I would imagine that moving into a shiny new building would look bad against the current political backdrop of "My taxdollars!", "The TTC sucks" and "Union Scum".

Back