Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Regardless, the new stations that will be installed as part of VivaNext are virtually futureproof as they are designed to accommodate a future conversion to LRT should the need arise.
Right now BRT as mentioned is more than enough for the next 20 years unless theres a population boom. At that time then the conversion will be much more straightforward as opposed to the crosstown conundrum.

Yes, that long term subway plan has been revealed recently, but I think it should be taken with a grain of salt. BRT along Yonge wouldn't necessarily preclude anything else eventually being built along that corridor, but it would serve the demand nicely for the next 20+ years. At that point, I think we'd have a better understanding of what the transportation needs actually are.

At the moment, BRT on Yonge + RER on the Richmond Hill corridor is the most realistic and cost-effective combination. If another technology is deemed as warranted in the future, it can either use the same ROW as the BRT, or can be built above, underneath, or beside the current ROW. Either way, the capital costs required to build BRT don't make it "too expensive to throw away" in 20-30 years time, if demand warrants.

Check out York's draft Transportation Master Plan. They clearly state that their development potential can only be realized with the subway extension.
https://www.york.ca/wps/wcm/connect...4-bf0017996ad6/nov+5+yonge+ex.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

View attachment 67340

Important to note that the Vaughan and Markham numbers must be combined to look at the corridor in a similar light to Cummer north since Vaughan and Markham each only straddle one side of Yonge whereas the Cummer portion encompasses both the east and west sides of Yonge, so the development potential is actually greater in York Region (without taking into account distance and size of those areas).

EDIT: referencing North of Cummer not the combined South/North Cummer which I think is more related to Finch spurring growth than the extension

Last edited:
I drove on Yonge and Steeles this morning. Stopped at Steeles, I literally had 7 buses in my field of vision.

On the way home, at Cummer, there were 6.

I'm already on record as saying it's silly to advocate LRT on this corridor but 44North, to his credit, almost makes it sound sane. It still isn't.

I think North44 makes a compelling point about LRT when it comes to looking at ridership as a whole on this corridor, unfortunately I don't think an LRT (although could comfortable fit within the realms of ridership defined along the corridor north of Steeles) could handle peak crush loads. I don't have any numbers to back that up unfortunately but if my daily commute from Finch with a packed Subway right from Finch is any indication I don't think an LRT would be able to handle what I would consider the most critical ridership movements along this corridor.

And that's based on my current observations with very little of the potential developable land currently being utilized by strip plazas.

Last edited:
I still maintain that RER on a realigned Richmond Hill corridor and BRT on Yonge is the best option. The RER takes care of the long haul demand, and the BRT makes the trips to NYCC more efficient.

Extending the subway only exacerbates the crowding problem on Yonge. The key is to get people off of Yonge before they ever even get on it. Save the capacity on Yonge for those whose destinations actually lie right on Yonge north of the CBD (i.e. NYCC, Eglinton & Yonge), and get as many other people as possible off of it.

The issue I have with this train of thought (excuse the pun) is that if GO RER were to have been shown to have this much of a pull to deem it worthwhile to upgrade Richmond Hill GO to RER it would have been proposed. I have to believe that it was explored and likely not deemed useful for people moving along Yonge. GO just benefits people going Downtown, anything from Dundas and North is better served or more competitively served by a service along Yonge (especially without Fare integration, but even still with Fare integration in terms of time savings). That's a huge area. I'd predict that a BRT, if it were modeled not to push Yonge over-capacity, would simply be because it is such a deterrent that people would rather not take transit to Eglinton or NYCC. In that scenario I'd predict the BRT would be over-capacity and thus you're just providing a band-aid solution for a pipe that's bursting.

Wow - this thread has come back to life :)

York Region sure does make it hard to find the data, but the most recent I've been able to see for the entire year of 2013 is here...

+the 99 + the 23 and I don't know how many other routes run at least part of the way from Finch to 7. Let's just agree that it "it's a fair number" and obviously the routings will change, but Yonge will always be THE corridor.

The other point about fare integration is important. How many riders at RHC would move toward GO service if its prices were more comparable to subway, and vice versa

Fare integration is key to achieving the proper balance in this area but the answer to your question is zero per cent of the riders traveling anywhere between Bloor and Highway 7. I'm really amazed how people just dismiss the fact the subway runs through the middle of the entire City of Toronto (connecting to east-west routes along its entire length) and the GO only goes to Union. They are entirely different things, even though, yes, they both go chugga-chugga-choo-choo.
It baffles me.

Never said LRT. Wrote light metro / advanced light rail. There's a difference, which I've written to you about on numerous occasions.

I'll offer a sincere apology, OK? We're out of shape on this thread. Anyway, I still don't see any point adding a new mode when the city's main subway is there and - cost aside, for the time being - easily extendable through this corridor. We'll just shake and agree to disagree on that, I guess.

The point about VMC is not a red herring, it was an example of a Centre. Just as there are other Centres I can point to where transit mode shares and office/residential development didn't pan out as envisioned.

No one disputes that. But you keep talking about them failing to hit 2031 targets as if it's in a vacuum. Everything has taken longer than expected, including updating the planning and building the subway.It's not behind schedule because Vaughan opened new greenfield lands last year.

Langstaff/RHC are also going to miss their targets (by TENS OF THOUSANDS of people!) because they're not getting the necessary transit and I'd argue that's a greater concern. Anyway, intensififcation is definitely happening in and around VMC. The reasons they're behind schedule (in your estimation) are not the same as the reasons that hindered Scarborough, for example. The geography is different, the era is different...one could go on. Nor is there any reason to expect RHC would face the same issues. To say NYCC didn't "pan out as envisioned" is only partly true and it's way too early - by decades- to say or project the same about VMC.

I still maintain that RER on a realigned Richmond Hill corridor and BRT on Yonge is the best option. The RER takes care of the long haul demand, and the BRT makes the trips to NYCC more efficient.

To NYCC. Great. What about Yonge and Eg? What about Yonge and Bloor? Do you have origin-destination data that shows people from RH (and the larger catchment area) travel primarily to/from those destinations? Again - I don't understand this notion that suburbanites only travel to/from the financial district. The core of the entire city is in between these 2 locations!

Extending the subway only exacerbates the crowding problem on Yonge. The key is to get people off of Yonge before they ever even get on it. Save the capacity on Yonge for those whose destinations actually lie right on Yonge north of the CBD (i.e. NYCC, Eglinton & Yonge), and get as many other people as possible off of it.

Well, the goal is to have a transit system that efficiently gets people to and from where they want to go. If that involves traveling down Yonge Street, because that's where stuff is, we need to do all sorts of things to upgrade the larger network and other faciltities and provide alternatives. But forcing them to divert from their preferred, most efficient mode is not the answer IMHO. For many, that will always be Yonge, because it's Yonge.

Go or RER is what will help the situation. YR people see the TTC as a cheap $3.00 vs taking GO And they see a subway extension as increasing property values because its a flat fare. If TTC fares were high like GO do you still think you would see crowding at Finch? People would take GO. That's the bottom line and the truth.

No, it's not. Because it's not 1970 anymore. People are not only traveling from their homes in RH to their jobs in Toronto. People travel in between. People travel off-peak. People travel the other direction entirely and the transit system doesn't recognize that. GO is more expensive than TTC, yes, but that's not WHY people take it. No one takes the TTC to St. Clair because it's cheaper than GO. They take it because GO goes nowhere remotely nearby in the first place.
The entire fare structure of the region is about to change to, hopefully to something that works bettter. The notion of GO existing to help people get from the 905 to the 416, and for the TTC to serve only the 416, is done. The new fare structure, and hopefully eventually some kind of new governance, will recognize that.

GO Richmond Hill improvements are definitely necessary, and with them in place any YN projected ridership would plummet - which is probably why York Region planners don't want us to see this data.

You've made the leap from one unproven theory to another. It's therefore exponentinally hypothetical. The two lines have "different audiences." And, as you know at this point, the densities at the growth centre are predicated on BOTH modes being operational. Curtailing either one curtails the job and residential numbers, so it's a viscious circle. I don't know why "York Region" planners need to be accused of some sort of malfeasance given all the players in this.

Let's not forget - the province ORDERED municipalities to intensify. They TOLD York Region to do so at Yonge/7. They PROMISED a subway to that location. Don't blame York Region for somehow gaming the system at anyone else's expense.

And probably why the Prov downgraded the RH line from their original "Express Rail" promise, to next to no improvements to 2031.

Or because, as you have yourself acknowledged, it is the GO line with the greatest infrastructure challenges. Nothing can happen there because they have to first resolve the flooding issues and (also repeated ad nauseum) the line differs from most other GO lines in terms of lack of its potential connections/new stations downstream. YES, you've shown there are ways to do it but as it presently exists it's the most challenging line. There's no great conspiracy at work.

But contrary to many people here, I still very much support subway-like infrastructure in York Region, and most definitely want them to build for the future and follow-through with development plans. I just don't think deep bore heavy rail is the way to do it. Nor do I think BRT / BRT-lite feeder routes are enough to entice riders out of their beloved cars.

I admit, sometimes I think you're nutty but sometimes I think, hey, this dude and I probably have more in common at the end of the day then we'd like to admit. You know, our biggest problem should be they actually figure out how to get a decent RT plan up and moving in this area. I think there's little point wasting breath about modes at this point but at least the dicussion of how to use transit to urbanize this area is a valuable one.

This is very true. And up until recently, RHC was definitely viewed by YR as the single terminal hub (with BRT northward, and subway southward). But up until very recently, we've learned that YR is now actually looking at potentially expanding the subway north of RHC in the coming decades - with a loop up to Major Mack and across to Vaughan Mills, then south to VMC

As you said, that's a pipe dream. None of it changes that Yonge/7 is the primary terminal. The fact that they want to develop OTHER transit oriented centres in no way undermines their plans for Yonge/7; no matter how many times you imply otherwise (If anything, I could argue it shows how ingrained TOD is becoming in the region, though I actually hestitate to give Vaughan especially that much credit).

Yonge is where the provincial UGC is. That's where the existing transit is. That's where the planned transit is. That's the central spine of the region and the central spine of its intensification plans dating back more than a decade. Vaughan Mills doesn't change that any more than the plans for Scarborough's subway make me question why they're renovating Union Station. Apples and cucumbers.

There is some irony in the notion (and it IS a notion) and your suggestion that since a subway seems crazy the further north you go, the further north they want to go, the less sense a subway makes overall. But that's not how things work

to use my historical example, if the TTC suggested, in 1950, that they want to go up to Bloor. And also to Eglinton and also to Finch, the fact that Finch was then so remote does not disprove the need for a subway in downtown or midtown. Those are PHASES. And they happened, as absurd as it might have seemed to some people at the outset.

Looking to the future and imaginging potential where some people don't see it is the entire point of the enterprise. It's what PLANNING is.

So to sum up, my question is: if I make t-shirts that say, "...because it's Yonge Street," will you promise to wear one?

^

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,000.7 KB · Views: 349
I think North44 makes a compelling point about LRT when it comes to looking at ridership as a whole on this corridor, unfortunately I don't think an LRT (although could comfortable fit within the realms of ridership defined along the corridor north of Steeles) could handle peak crush loads. I don't have any numbers to back that up unfortunately but if my daily commute from Finch with a packed Subway right from Finch is any indication I don't think an LRT would be able to handle what I would consider the most critical ridership movements along this corridor.

And that's based on my current observations with very little of the potential developable land currently being utilized by strip plazas.

Keep in mind there's an entire spectrum of 'light rail', and sometimes it's hard to figure out what exactly it is people are referring to. But I try to break it down into three types:
  1. In-median tram-style, which has relatively low capacity and speed (and what TJ continually uses as a red herring counterargument) <-although great, this is not what I'm advocating
  2. Eg Crosstown-style (where the centralist portion would be fully grade-separated providing greater speed/reliability/capacity while outer portions run in-median) <-this one's fantastic because it's like the best of both worlds, but it's also not what I'm advocating
  3. Skytrain-like light metro system, which is fully grade-separated (in other words it's like a subway in look, feel, operations - but smaller and w/ lower capacity). <- this is what I'm advocating, and see as more than adequate for the next centuries
The latter two were never included in the study of Yonge North. Basically plans went form BRT to a promised 6-car heavy rail subway. From looking at all the data on projected ridership, linear development along Yonge, and knowing that YR will undoubtedly want to extend Line 1 beyond Hwy7 sooner rather than later (on both Jane and Yonge) - I definitely think light metro would be a better bet and should be considered. IMO it wouldn't hurt to examine it at least, seeing that numerous other Big Move projects are morphing and being reanalyzed. And frankly if Yonge North is delayed any longer, I'd be more surprised if YR and major developers didn't start pushing for something like this. It's a great mode, it can handle massive peak ridership, costs significantly less than heavy rail subway, and YR would get to call the shots (instead of TO/TTC).

Wow - this thread has come back to life :)

+the 99 + the 23 and I don't know how many other routes run at least part of the way from Finch to 7. Let's just agree that it "it's a fair number" and obviously the routings will change, but Yonge will always be THE corridor.
So to sum up, my question is: if I make t-shirts that say, "...because it's Yonge Street," will you promise to wear one?

Oh, sigh. We've had this argument a dozen times. I provide facts, reports, data. You provide fallacies, red herrings, and ad hominems (bundled in a divergent diatribe with rampant use of Upper Case words).
  • 2008 Big Move modeling showed YongeNorth having ~62,500 avg wkdy and 8,800 peak point ridership
  • Richmond Hill Express Rail, another "promise" the Prov made (which is very important to p2g, had an excellent biz case, and only a few years ago was very much a priority), was dropped with little to no explanation given
  • Yonge North BCA oddly and disingenuously omitted showing the data comparing both a subway and improved GO from RHC (with no explanation given)
  • no light metro or grade-separated light rail was considered for the Yonge corridor
  • rough analysis ranking of current GTHA surface ridership would put the Yonge corridor north of Steeles somewhere in the mid-high twenties
  • projected subway ridership is largely contingent on transit mode shares which quite likely won't occur as envisioned, and residential/retail/office development which similarly won't occur as envisioned
  • we have numerous examples of similar high end projections that failed to materialize
  • last estimate I've seen said subway costs $4.6bn...this is quite a tidy sum, and the Prov's promised TISAP is still a pipedream and relief issues undecided
  • I personally support more subway-like railed rapid transit in York Region (by using light metro / grade-separated light rail) than can be achieved with the current unfunded plan (piecemeal deep bore Line 1 extension)
Other than the last point which is my opinion, I don't really see what you're arguing against. "Because it's Yonge Street" is I guess the takeaway, and yeah I see what you're saying with that. It's an important corridor, and in some ways has been used for millennia. But I still stand by my points, and my opinion.

1. Skytrain-like light metro system, which is fully grade-separated (in other words it's like a subway in look, feel, operations - but smaller and w/ lower capacity). <- this is what I'm advocating, and see as more than adequate for the next centuries

What would the relative cost comparison be for a Skytrain-like line from Finch/Yonge to say Langstaff GO, versus the proposed subway?

Would it be enough of a cost savings to fund a connection between Sheppard/Yonge and the TYSSE, using similar technology?

Would it also offer enough savings to fund conversion of the Sheppard Subway to the same technology?

I'm just spitballing here..... but Toronto would do well to look for application of this level of technology. We appear to be good with vanilla LRT, and we appear to be good with traditional subway. This might be the place for something in between.

- Paul

Who's got more spare time - the guy who writes 1,200 words or the guy who pastes it into word, erases the quotes, checks the word count, grabs a screencap, goes on the Internet to post it?

Asking for a friend.:)
You hit reply and it removes the quotes for you. Copy paste into word, and take a photo with your phone, and upload as an attachment to your post. 2 mins max.

You hit reply and it removes the quotes for you. Copy paste into word, and take a photo with your phone, and upload as an attachment to your post. 2 mins max.
Take a photo with your phone? Why not just print screen, paste into any 2-bit image editor (like Paint), select a rectangle, copy, and then paste directly in the post.

Edit:
upload_2016-2-18_20-22-41.png

There, about 40 seconds. Actually don't need paint, as the print screen just did the box - but didn't realize that until I opened Paint.

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-18_20-22-41.png
    upload_2016-2-18_20-22-41.png
    11 KB · Views: 636
Do you use a mac? Mac can crop in the print screen function. For me, I use dual monitors (well, laptop screen and a monitor), and it will screenshot both monitors and I have to crop down. Plus, the low quality of the post feeds into the joke.

What would the relative cost comparison be for a Skytrain-like line from Finch/Yonge to say Langstaff GO, versus the proposed subway?

Would it be enough of a cost savings to fund a connection between Sheppard/Yonge and the TYSSE, using similar technology?

Would it also offer enough savings to fund conversion of the Sheppard Subway to the same technology?

I'm just spitballing here..... but Toronto would do well to look for application of this level of technology. We appear to be good with vanilla LRT, and we appear to be good with traditional subway. This might be the place for something in between.

- Paul

Spitball away. I think it's a great discussion to have, and very much believe it to be a great "in between" system - one that particularly shows its potential where there's expansive roadway allowances like in York Region. Though I guess it'd be wise to put most or all of this in the Fantasy thread.

First off I'd guess the per km cost-savings would be roughly half that of the subway (I'll post a chart at the bottom). But it gets complicated, because I still think that either Finch needs to be redesigned to accommodate a proper seamless transfer between modes, or we would extend the subway to Steeles to create a terminus/hub/tail storage. So there's a good chunk of the savings gone.

And contrary to some insinuations I've seen toward me in earlier pages, I'm most definitely not supporting this lower cost solution so that all the savings be kept for TO or the DRL. On the contrary. If the $4.6bn were sitting on the table, I still think it should be spread in York Region and shared between Vaughan, Markham, and Richmond Hill. It's a lot of money, and can go a long way. Perhaps this light metro line could be extended all the way up to Major Mack in one go, or more stations could be added between Steeles and 7 than was previously proposed with the subway (a big bonus for improving transit mode shares). Or perhaps some can be spent on the western leg of the TMP's idea for an upside down U (i.e connecting VMC to Vaughan Mills Centre).

Another idea (and which shows the flexibility and merits of a 'light' system) is that we can easily create a spur where needed. If you read over the Langstaff Gateway plans, it's apparent and acknowledged that a glaring issue is travel across the site. It's a sizable parcel, expected to see significant growth, but it's oriented mostly E-W. Calthorpe, the visionary that crafted the plan, mused about Personal Rapid Transit (basically a hamster ball on a track) to get residents to the subway station. I think a better idea would be to create a spur line off Yonge through Langstaff Gateway.

Or like you propose, converting Sheppard. Or extending Sheppard West to Downsview and Wilson Yard for deadheading. Or reviving the Don Mills LRT between Sheppard and Hwy 7. Or maybe some of it can even go toward bringing back the Prov's promise of Express Rail for the RH line.

transit-mode-50yr-costs.jpg

Attachments

• transit-mode-50yr-costs.jpg
    transit-mode-50yr-costs.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 656

Back