Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The 50 m deep tunnels are probably right before and after the Don Valley River crossing. The ravine there is quite deep and being 20m underneath the river means being 50m underneath the banks. I doubt that the tunnels are consistently 50m underneath the homes of Royal Orchard.

But until the plans are released, we're just speculating.

I guarantee you that those residents are going to demand a station, and now that the tunnel is deeper, the station will be even more expensive.

And we’ll build it anyways.

With due respect, I don't really see the point of any of this fantasy planning anymore. First - the route planning is done, obviously. I always liked the bridge over the valley myself, but then there are all sorts of factors we're not taking into account. Do you know the soil conditions if you do shallow tunnelling? Do you know where utilities along Yonge are located? You can't just say "let's do shallow tunnel" based on looking at Google Maps.

In a similar vein, you have no idea what the engineering around that stormwater pond (which is located directly in the hydro corridor) is. I watched the recording of that public meeting and someone asked about turning it into a park and they said don't even know if they can access it and make it part of the development that way. So I'm thinking that moving it is way out of the question. And, finally, it's debatable whether your Bridge station works for the convergence of transit modes (the 407 Transitway obviously being a prime consideration).

We had a good 10 years of imagining and kicking around ideas for how the route could be improved (including many fine folks who dreamed we would or should stop at Steeles) but I think we've just about arrived at the ultimate conclusion.

Anyway, I keep going back to these maps, posed a few pages back, and I don't see a major change that any non-Royal Orchard people should be upset about, and I certainly don't see any proof it costs more or taxpayer money is being wasted (though presumably there was time spent evaluating options etc). If they're expropriating fewer homes, for example, my math skills tell me that it costing less not more. A change back to Yonge would lkely have affected what can be developed at the 2 final stations, to say nothing of forcing underground stations, so staying with any version of Option 3 is saving money there too. It's almost literally the most minor change I can imagine.

No has actually asserted, with any facts, that this move is costing more; it's just an abstract assumption being treated as fact, based solely on the fact that it's a change (and one the media is spinning as an appeasement of suburban homeowners etc.) If you can prove otherwise, let's see it.View attachment 368463

First of all, the route isn't final until the contract is signed. They have just changed from Option 3 to 3B, they can change again.

Secondly, even if the route is actually set, there is nothing wrong with discussing the options that could be. That's pretty much what this forum is about.

I guarantee you that those residents are going to demand a station, and now that the tunnel is deeper, the station will be even more expensive.

And we’ll build it anyways.

I wouldn't be too sure. Leslie (on ECLRT) and Lawrence East (on SSE) demanded a station, while the residents of Willowdale (on the Sheppard line) campaigned to block a station in their neighborhood. In case of Royal Orchard, I expect something in between: noone is actively against the station, and some ask to add the station, but the latter have no numbers or tenacity to see it through.

In any case, I'd add the Cummer / Drewry station first, before considering Royal Orchard. Cummer / Drewry has the density right now for a well-used station, similar to North York Centre.

The Royal Orchard station is a nice to have, but not absolutely needed. It would kind of fill the gap between Clarke and Hwy 7, but even after that the distances would remain long and a decent bus service is needed. If a frequent bus has to be there anyway, then it can as well take the Royal Orchard folks to one of the other stations.

First of all, the route isn't final until the contract is signed. They have just changed from Option 3 to 3B, they can change again.

Secondly, even if the route is actually set, there is nothing wrong with discussing the options that could be. That's pretty much what this forum is about.
Once the shovels get into the ground, it will be Option 3X, then Option 3Y, then Option 3Z. Only to start all over again because of the NIMBYs.

EDIT: tagged the wrong user. Sorry @DirectionNorth!

Honestly, we should never underestimate people’s sense of self-importance and delusion. I believe for the votes the Royal Orchard station will be built. (York Region really can throw it’s weight about on that front.) That’s my second prediction.

Last edited:
What? Do you think the NIMBYs will actually use the subway along with the peasants?
Nose+in+the+air.jpg
From link.

^ Is that suppose to be the subway (red arrow)? Shouldn't there be two tracks for the subway and two for GO? I only see three.

1639513632659.png

^ Is that suppose to be the subway (red arrow)? Shouldn't there be two tracks for the subway and two for GO? I only see three.

View attachment 369138
Yes, the high-speed rail looking train is the subway, and the subway station (two tracks). From this rendering, it seems like GO, ONR, and CN will be sharing the outside track. I hope this is a rendering error, as GO absolutely needs at least 1 if not 2 dedicated tracks at this station.

Yes, the high-speed rail looking train is the subway, and the subway station (two tracks). From this rendering, it seems like GO, ONR, and CN will be sharing the outside track. I hope this is a rendering error, as GO absolutely needs at least 1 if not 2 dedicated tracks at this station.

Oh sorry. You're right. I missed the pillars (green arrow). Aren't there already two CN tracks here?

1639514014173.png

Back