Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Sorry, you chose to live in a low density area
It would be nice to see this argument point disappear from UT. It's a poor one, as it is oversimplification, and definitely lowers the quality of discussion. There is a lot more that goes into where someone lives than simple "choice", as it is a complicated socio-economic issue, and that's even with disregarding the birthplace aspect of it.

wopchop:

Of course it is an oversimplication - but at the end of the day, if one is going to bring up environment as a talking point, one'd better be ready to take into account the impact of location, choice or otherwise. You live in a region that limits subsidy of the gold-plated public transit system to 50% (ostensibly because you couldn't get residents to use transit otherwise), and you somehow expect a neighbouring provider which has far better revenue-cost ratio to offer you reduced fare - there is something quite wrong about that. Plus there is a fairness issue here - why York Region, what's so special about it that we require a completely different set of policies?

In the long run, we should move to a distance-based fare system, but since we don't have that right now, I am not sure if anyone should rush out to create special policies left, right and centre.

AoD

Last edited:
You made it sound as if subsidizing transit especially for York Region commuters is doing the City of Toronto a favour. No offense, but that is patently untrue - and besides, road capacity is limited and the issue will be self-correcting (and the last time I've checked, companies aren't rushing to move out of Toronto, even downtown, where traffic conditions are the worst). Sorry, you chose to live in a low density area - stop expecting others to subsidize your lifestyle choice and then claim it is for our benefit.

AoD

I think it's pretty dangerous to play the 416 vs 905 card. It's an integrated metropolitan. 905 handles most of the air/road traffic into and out of Toronto, you don't see Mississauga charging a fee for each apple going into Toronto, do you? The province spends ton of everybody's income taxes for public projects in Toronto. The region is too tightly integrated to say exactly who is subsidizing whom.

Toronto's density is also not uniformly high. Why would it be better for me to choose living in a low density area in Scarborough than York Region? As I said, the boundaries are rather arbitrary. And the only reason to build a subway to Scarborough rather than York Region is political and against common sense.

Nobody is doing anybody any favors, or we are trying do everybody a favor depending on how you want to look at it. I would think the entire region is in this together to get people moving more efficiently and more environmental friendly. To be honest, I don't care all that much since I live and work in York Region (my very large employer got out of Toronto years ago). The odd times I have to go into Toronto, parking is free at Finch station over the weekends and it's not even bad in downtown Toronto if you know which lots are cheaper, definitely cheaper and faster than paying the transit fare for the entire family even if transfer was free. I just wish there's more incentive to take public transit rather than driving. I would actually be ok if transit increase prices to fund itself or even VIVA jacks up the price to pay TTC for the new riders (would be a huge financial loss for myself personally with little benefit), but the current division is arbitrary and makes no sense.

And lastly, this is not a subsidy by any means. Implementing some sort of revenue sharing would boost riderships at both TTC and YRT, and hopefully profitability too. It would also make extending the subway rather pointless, thus saving everybody money (although bad for York Region home prices). Now, capacity is an issue and need to worked out together. However, this kind of us vs them mentality is not helping matters.

If you are really keen on each person for themselves, then let's abolish income taxes altogether and see who would win out.

Last edited:
You made it sound as if subsidizing transit especially for York Region commuters is doing the City of Toronto a favour. No offense, but that is patently untrue - and besides, road capacity is limited and the issue will be self-correcting (and the last time I've checked, companies aren't rushing to move out of Toronto, even downtown, where traffic conditions are the worst). Sorry, you chose to live in a low density area - stop expecting others to subsidize your lifestyle choice and then claim it is for our benefit. And besides, if you are this concerned about the overall transit cost, perhaps you can persuade your region to increase the subsidy to YRT, since it should let me quote: "taken out of the hands of each municipality"?

AoD

There are too many generalities in these statements.

Facts about Toronto's revenue:

- Less than 1/2 of all property taxes are collected from residential (47%)
- only $1 of every $7 of income is from residential property taxes
- Other governments transfer to Toronto about double what Toronto collects from residential property taxes.
- User fees are greater than the property taxes collected from residential (and many of these user fees come from non-residents...e.g. TTC)

Toronto relies on residents throughout the GTA for the revenue and has to provide services to everyone in the GTA so that the business and tourism can thrive. If we shut out the rest of the GTA we would become a husk of what we are today.

The TTC is the only transit authority that has not negotiated a fare transfer agreement (other than a small trial with GO). The TTC has to be less provincial in their views and understand they are only part of the machinery that moves people across the GTA. All transit agencies have to share the riders experience throughout the GTA and that includes creating a seamless transit system between York and Toronto.

I also think you may want to drive through York Region/Richmond Hill. They are developing quite a bit of density in some areas (while others are low density). Toronto has regions of low density as well and most people will fight tooth and nail to keep the fares within Toronto at $3. Why are people OK subsidizing those that live in a 60 x 120 foot lot in Markland Woods but not living in a 600 sq ft condo in Richmond Hill? For the 14% share of property tax revenue from the person that lives in Markland Woods? Relatively that's fairly small in the grand scheme of things.

I think it's pretty dangerous to play the 416 vs 905 card. It's an integrated metropolitan. 905 handles most of the air/road traffic into and out of Toronto, you don't see Mississauga charging a fee for each apple going into Toronto, do you? The province spends ton of everybody's income taxes for public projects in Toronto. The region is too tightly integrated to say exactly who is subsidizing whom.

Toronto's density is also not uniformly high. Why would it be better for me to choose living in a low density area in Scarborough than York Region? As I said, the boundaries are rather arbitrary. And the only reason to build a subway to Scarborough rather than York Region is political and against common sense.

Nobody is doing anybody any favors, or we are trying do everybody a favor depending on how you want to look at it. I would think the entire region is in this together to get people moving more efficiently and more environmental friendly. To be honest, I don't care all that much since I live and work in York Region (my very large employer got out of Toronto years ago). The odd times I have to go into Toronto, parking is free at Finch station over the weekends and it's not even bad in downtown Toronto if you know which lots are cheaper, definitely cheaper and faster than paying the transit fare for the entire family even if transfer was free. I just wish there's more incentive to take public transit rather than driving. I would actually be ok if transit increase prices to fund itself or even VIVA jacks up the price to pay TTC for the new riders (would be a huge financial loss for myself personally with little benefit), but the current division is arbitrary and makes no sense.

And lastly, this is not a subsidy by any means. Implementing some sort of revenue sharing would boost riderships at both TTC and YRT, and hopefully profitability too. It would also make extending the subway rather pointless, thus saving everybody money (although bad for York Region home prices). Now, capacity is an issue and need to worked out together. However, this kind of us vs them mentality is not helping matters.

If you are really keen on each person for themselves, then let's abolish income taxes altogether and see who would win out.

- Other governments transfer to Toronto about double what Toronto collects from residential property taxes.
- User fees are greater than the property taxes collected from residential (and many of these user fees come from non-residents...e.g. TTC)

Toronto relies on residents throughout the GTA for the revenue and has to provide services to everyone in the GTA so that the business and tourism can thrive. If we shut out the rest of the GTA we would become a husk of what we are today.

The TTC is the only transit authority that has not negotiated a fare transfer agreement (other than a small trial with GO). The TTC has to be less provincial in their views and understand they are only part of the machinery that moves people across the GTA. All transit agencies have to share the riders experience throughout the GTA and that includes creating a seamless transit system between York and Toronto.

I also think you may want to drive through York Region/Richmond Hill. They are developing quite a bit of density in some areas (while others are low density). Toronto has regions of low density as well and most people will fight tooth and nail to keep the fares within Toronto at $3. Why are people OK subsidizing those that live in a 60 x 120 foot lot in Markland Woods but not living in a 600 sq ft condo in Richmond Hill? For the 14% share of property tax revenue from the person that lives in Markland Woods? Relatively that's fairly small in the grand scheme of things.

Some of the best comments I've seen in this thread in a very long time.

For all the generalities about the need to "think like a region" (who pays what be damned), I am curious as to why we are arguing about paying an extra fare? If money matters as little as one suggests, what's so upsetting about the need to pay extra to get from A to B in the first place? Cross municipal travel isn't rocket science - it's done everyday and it will be less seamless once TTC switches completely over to Presto.

AoD

Last edited:

Where are the facts about York Region's revenue?? The other guy just wants a free ride.

For all the generalities about the need to "think like a region" (who pays what be damned), I am curious as to why we are arguing about paying an extra fare? If money matters as little as one suggests, what's so upsetting about the need to pay extra to get from A to B in the first place? Cross municipal travel isn't rocket science - it's done everyday and it will be less seamless once TTC switches completely over to Presto.

AoD

Because it discourages the general public from taking public transits, both to and from Toronto even though it probably would cost the system less to move people from RHC to North York than from Finch to Union. And for no apparent reason other than pettiness between politicians.

It's funny because I remember that years ago when I said public transit should be based on cost rather than being a flat price (i.e. travelling from Finch to Union should cost more than doing so from College to Union), I was lectured hard on the greater good. I guess the greater good does not go cross municipal borders.

Last edited:
Because it discourages the general public from taking public transits, both to and from Toronto even though it probably would cost the system less to move people from RHC to North York than from Finch to Union. And for no apparent reason other than pettiness between politicians.

It's funny because I remember that years ago when I said public transit should be based on cost rather than being a flat price (i.e. travelling from Finch to Union should cost more than doing so from College to Union), I was lectured hard on the greater good. I guess the greater good does not go cross municipal borders.

You just want a free ride. If you're being honest about paying the proper cost you should be dropping $3 into the bus farebox and $10 into the subway farebox.

Except that the TTC carries more than 3 times more riders than all of the other transit systems in the GTHA COMBINED - and that includes GO. There is no incentive for the TTC to change anything until such a time that the ridership coming to them from York Region, Durham Region, Brampton, Mississauga and GO actually becomes a relatively meaningful number.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Except that the TTC carries more than 3 times more riders than all of the other transit systems in the GTHA COMBINED - and that includes GO. There is no incentive for the TTC to change anything until such a time that the ridership coming to them from York Region, Durham Region, Brampton, Mississauga and GO actually becomes a relatively meaningful number.

Well said, good sir. I briefly attempted to do the math of the riderships for diff systems in the GTHA, but it's quite difficult to find the data. What you wrote sounds right to me though.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Uh, isn't the TTC complaining that the subway extension would bring too MANY riders from York Region? And wouldn't a transfer agreement bring more riderships onto the TTC system? TTC has no incentive because TTC does NOT need more riders.

I think this thread speaks volume why people should all vote for the right wing. We live in a society with a us vs. them mentality anyway. Why should the province fund affordable housing in Toronto? Torontonians chose to live in a big city, didn't they? Why should everybody else subsidize their life style choice? How foolish of me to actually think that it was unfair to cut the funding.

This thread also speaks volume why it's next to impossible to do the sensible things in this society. Politicians don't care whether there's enough population density to support a subway, they only care about the votes they are going to get. This was true for Scarborough, and I suspect it will be true for Yonge North Extension as well. It likely will be built sooner or later, not because it would work better than a simple transfer agreement, but because it would be the politically smart thing to do.

Uh, isn't the TTC complaining that the subway extension would bring too MANY riders from York Region? And wouldn't a transfer agreement bring more riderships onto the TTC system? TTC has no incentive because TTC does NOT need more riders.
This thread also speaks volume why it's next to impossible to do the sensible things in this society. Politicians don't care whether there's enough population density to support a subway, they only care about the votes they are going to get. This was true for Scarborough, and I suspect it will be true for Yonge North Extension as well. It likely will be built sooner or later, not because it would work better than a simple transfer agreement, but because it would be the politically smart thing to do.

Well, politicians are a reflection of the values and ethics of the electorate - would riders from say York (or any other region) think twice about taking up capacity on a line to the point whereby other users further down are precluded from riding due to overcrowding, so long as they can use it? Now let's be honest - probably not. Would residents of said region be willing to contribute funding, above and beyond general income tax, for building a subway line that provide relief specifically for this purpose? I have my doubts about that one too. So really, there are quite a bit of blame to go around, and it's always easy to accuse others of stingyness when it's something one benefits from - but turn the tables around, and one won't be so quick to do so.

AoD

Last edited:

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The fallacy here is so stunningly obvious, it's perfect 44North would miss it.

Yes, it's true TTC carries something like 85% of all the GTA's transit riders. But you seem to assume all those riders are Torontonians. I doubt TTC even has a break down but it's fair to say that MANY of those riders are coming to them from York Region, Durham Region, Brampton, Mississauga and GO. Whatever the actual number is, it is most definitely MEANINGFUL. Their "incentive" is to SERVE riders and while I understand they are funded (barely) by Toronto taxpayers, suggesting how people commute is not their problem is a weird way to look at transit.

The problem is that the borders (and not just the TTC; but mostly the TTC because of their obvious centrality) distort ridership patterns so (pertinent to this thread and discussed a zillion times) south York Region residents will do what they can to avoid the double fare. But a York Region resident who drives to Finch will count towards that massive TTC ridership, be a net loss to YRT and put an extra car on the road to boot. It's impossible to know precisely how things would look if all the fares were somehow pooled and distributed fairly but the point muller877 is extremely valid.

The TTC should be treated as the most important system in the network but it's still not the ONLY system in the network. Just look at the Scarborough/SmartTrack stuff going on now; SmartTrack goes up into Markham, which is great, but has anyone thought about what that means in terms of network planning or double fares or anything else?

The key mental challenge for anyone on this board or elsewhere is to go on Googlemaps and look at the GTA without borders and then ponder what the transit system make sense because we've outgrown the piecemeal system now in place. Just like little isolated towns grew towards each other and then became a single, larger municipality, so too are we at the point where the system has outgrown its borders.

Steeles is most relevant to this thread and probably the best example anyway, but public transit is not serving its customers - particularly those who have a choice because they own a car - if it is throwing up institutional obstacles between where they're coming from and where they're going. That's the point.

I don't even understand AoD's points....firstly, unless riders at Finch worry about people getting on at Eglinton, I don't see what difference there is if the line goes to Highway 7; especially since many of those "foreign" riders are already getting on at Finch now (and probably not worrying about crowding out other riders; why should they?). Then there's a straw man about whether YR would contribute funding when they've vociferously said they would; they're certainly not shy about taking on more debt if that's what it takes!

People seem unable to conceive of transit on that basic level: where are riders coming from; where are they trying to go; how can we make it easier? Instead of everyone gets tied into knots comparing Scarborough to Yonge or (once again) debating whether the extension will bring too little ridership (draining operating funding) or too much (causing downstream capacity). Either way, it's a PROBLEM. The Yonge extension, in nearly every respect, trumps the Scarborough extension - whether it's the obvious routing, the development potential, ridership benefits and on and on. I've said before and I truly believe in my heart that if the municipal border was at Highway 7 the complaints about the extension would drop to almost nil but people hear that it's going to "Richmond Hill" and lose all sense of logic.

Last edited:
I don't even understand AoD's points....firstly, unless riders at Finch worry about people getting on at Eglinton, I don't see what difference there is if the line goes to Highway 7; especially since many of those "foreign" riders are already getting on at Finch now (and probably not worrying about crowding out other riders; why should they?). Then there's a straw man about whether YR would contribute funding when they've vociferously said they would; they're certainly not shy about taking on more debt if that's what it takes!

You are assuming that upon extending the line, there won't be further densification of the areas around the stations; nor will the ridership feeding into these stations increase simply due to the growth of the region itself. That's obviously a faulty assumption. Given the impact of said ridership to crowding on the existing Yonge line, I am not talking about YR contributing to the capital cost of extending it into Richmond Hill (which obviously should be the responsibility of YR) - I am talking about them contributing to building a relief line to ameliorate crowding - which is at least partially caused by ridership from YR. I wonder where the region stands on that.

AoD

Last edited:

Back