Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread  I  Real Estate Thread
YC Condos -- Yonge at College 
460 Yonge Street, Toronto
Developer: Canderel Residential

YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198m | 66s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza | Page 105

Discussion in 'Buildings' started by urbandreamer, Jun 27, 2011.

1. marcus_a_j

marcus_a_j Senior Member

In the materials legend, "Terracotta Cladding" is there along with "Black Granite Cladding", "Spandrel", "White Glass", and "Vision Glass". Clearly there's a differentiation made in the materials, and if it can't be interpreted that way, oh boy!

interchange42 likes this.

2. maestro

maestro Senior Member

You have to consider the average of everything being built than a couple stand out towers. In both cases, Toronto is well ahead of Mississauga and Calgary. The Bow was a one time event that ended up being value engineered once Encana sold it to the REIT. The urban setting is a disaster but, the tower still turned out nice. It just isn't that jaw dropping corporate campus originally intended by the CEO of Encana.

All things considered, F+P has been very active in Toronto. Westbank is bringing their international stars to Toronto too.

interchange42 likes this.
  3. WislaHD

WislaHD Senior Member

Plus, the architecture firm hopes to be a regular client of the developer.

The developer may decide to look elsewhere for future projects if their architect creates additional costs due to their inventive designs.

4. TheKingEast

TheKingEast Senior Member

"Don't judge it till it's finished!" muahahahahah

Calvin, alklay and AlvinofDiaspar like this.
  5. syoung1100

syoung1100 New Member

I feel bad criticizing from afar as an ex-pat, but I've followed UT for almost two decades and I've watched the butchering of Toronto condo architecture which seems to be rewriting swaths of neighborhoods with the same shitty disregard for detail - using window-wall and excessive use of spandrel and I am saddened. I am only excited by a few forward-thinking projects that could maybe make up for it. The One, Ghery, YSL and 1Yonge. They could take away a bit of attention to massive banal infill.

TheKingEast likes this.
  6. isaidso

isaidso Active Member

You likely echo the feelings of a lot of people. I find consolation by telling myself that all of these buildings can be re-clad, upgraded, improved 20-30 years from now. Surely they'll start falling apart by then.

488 University Avenue will look nothing like the original building. If we can do that, even the most pedestrian coma inducing building can be re-worked. Till then, just squint/blur your vision when you walk by them. That's what I do.

7. Irishmonk

Irishmonk Senior Member

Well, we've got something to look forward to in 2031: the completion of the DRL and the approximate period when these spandrelized filing cabinets will be due for a reclad.

8. 111

111 New Member

So much action--present and planned--on this stretch of Yonge. And who says balconies aren’t used? The workers seem to be enjoying theirs at lunchtime at the Teahouse site.

YCcondo800.

steveve and Benito like this.
  9. maestro

maestro Senior Member

Window wall use is unfortunate but, the key word here is "massive". You'll find very few places that have put up 40 residential high rises a year for the last 15 years that doesn't have a whack of mediocre design and/or twins.

10. maestro

maestro Senior Member

I wouldn't be holding out any hope on reclads. The condo corps will do everything they can to extend the life of the window wall systems and will be look for the cheapest options when the time actually comes to reskin. The boom has also been going on for two decades now. There are hundreds of towers over 10 to 15 years old now. Does Cityplace's 2001-2003 built Matrix/Apex towers look like they are nearly ready for a reclad?

11. Benito

Benito Senior Member

0B7F88CA-BF89-4F96-812A-4C988B38B4F4. D6070660-0206-4CF8-A26E-CC9316FB1D71. 1F8995E3-60FE-4E09-9031-867677BE4A54. 65641ED6-78D6-4573-90A1-658BC1FFF29E. Today.

12. Gphorce

Gphorce Active Member

The only possible redeeming feature of this building - the red cladding - is total shit. Is there nothing we can do to prevent these God-awful developments from happening in the future? Why are people only concerned with height when design and materials are far-and-away more impactful in the experience of a building? This building makes me sick.

13. ushahid

ushahid Senior Member

the older design that looked like an amateur child of one bloor e would have looked much better than this design.

14. Automation Gallery

Automation Gallery Superstar

Here, posted way back then

15. carrythezero

carrythezero New Member

From Karma:

yc3. yc2. yc1.

Who wore it better - YC, or the McDonalds across the street?

mcds.