Toronto YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198.42m | 62s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Well the bar has been set pretty low by that purposed development 2 blocks north of here. Its going to be tough to top that :)

I think a beautiful aA red brick (to match Oddfellows hall) 10s podium+ a tower stepping up to 65s would be appropriate here. Sadly, we all know it's gonna be another CS horror show...:(

Yeah that would be nice, but then again the last time a 65 storey/10 floor podium red brick structure was built anywhere in this planet was over 1/2 century ago... i would settle with a slightly shorter version of Aura.:cool:

This is a location where I would actually advocate for the use of a modern design with glass and metal (can you use metal??). Any design here must take OH into account as its neighbour and the best approach to play off of its awesome victorian-ness would be to go with a contrast as at the Distillery such that both designs can play off of each other... look at me all excited about this one!

This is upbeat news. I have prized the idea of Yonge/College becoming more intensively residential. Any amount of storeys is okay by me at this location, as long as height is paired with great design quality, read distinctive architecture. The victorian neighbour offers the architect(s) the chance to strike an urban chord.

I have prized the idea of Yonge/College becoming more intensively residential.

This corner has totally been reshaped in the last 10 years. A massive number of people have moved into the neighbourhood.

I would love to see the goth style replicated on the new podium with shops and office on the podium... Entrance to parking off the back and large towers... Whatever is built, it should play well with OF building...

Definitely a great project to look forward to...

What's crappy about it? It's nothing to put on a postcard home to Mom but it's hardly offensive, the retail is great and includes one of the last pubs left on Yonge Street between Gerrard and Bloor that actually draws people over to Yonge Street after 10pm. Think a bar will replace this once a condo goes in? No. Probably a copy shop and dry cleaner. The Baystreetification of Yonge Street continues.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

'Baystreetification'! LOVE IT! (the word, not the syndrome!)
I agree, this chunk is leaps and bounds better than the 501 Yonge stretch :s
..Wonder if they'll save the facade? LOLOL

Or even an art deco inspired podium design would work really well at this location, with College Park 2 doors down. I'm thinking something like Minto's Quantum at Y&E. As much as glass would let Oddfellows stand out much better, perhaps a stone streetwall along that side of Yonge would be nice to consider as well.

Somewhere I have a silent Super 8 home movie taken by my father of us standing on the NE corner of Wood and Yonge Street (In front of the Westbury Hotel) for the 1969 Eaton's Santa Clause Parade. In the 3 minute film he pans the camera up and down Yonge and it clearly shows the Furniture Store that occupied that building for many years. (Before it was, in the 1980's, Pomo'ed covered and converted to multiple units.) If memory serves, the Royal Bank was there at the time but a separate yet attached building.

Hard to imagine, in this day and age of giant Leon's and Brick stores in the suburban-wasteland outlet strip-malls, but after Eaton's opened in the early 1930's, Yonge and College was the area where most of Toronto bought their furniture.

I am looking all over my "Old Toronto Pictures" websites to find an image and have had no luck so far. Anyone have something in their photo collection?

wow great piece of retail history! would definitely like to see some of these images if they materialize!

This is a location where I would actually advocate for the use of a modern design with glass and metal (can you use metal??). Any design here must take OH into account as its neighbour and the best approach to play off of its awesome victorian-ness would be to go with a contrast as at the Distillery such that both designs can play off of each other... look at me all excited about this one!

This is what One Queen Street East did in the 1980's (edit: it was completed in 1991) when they built their tower connected to the Old Confederation Life building on Richmond. I'd be OK with this idea as well... Much to the horror of certain preservationists and purists I am sure. Note how One Queen echoed the massing, colour, themes and materials at the height of the old ConFed on the left. As well with the copper glazing and setbacks of the tower above.

(Image courtesy Snuffy on Flickr found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snuffy/5825613632/sizes/z/in/photostream/ )

OneQueenEast1.jpg

(Image courtesy TOBuilt found here: http://www.tobuilt.ca/php/tobuildings_more.php?search_fd3=1312

Last edited:
Do us all a favour and try and only criticize the architecture or the concept being put forth and save your childish insults for your comic book forums. Besides, don't you have an old render somewhere you have to rehash for the thousandth time?

Do us all a favour and try and only criticize the architecture or the concept being put forth and save your childish insults for your comic book forums. Besides, don't you have an old render somewhere you have to rehash for the thousandth time?

+1

Back