Toronto YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198.42m | 62s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Though Confederation Life's an iffy case relative to Odd Fellows--if only because whatever significant extant interior to speak of there (if it still existed) was obliterated by fire in 1981...

Yep, minimum 55s, 65-70 possible. Don't think there's enough room for more than one tower.

Don't think there'll be a PATH or subway connection since either would probably have to go beneath the building with the Starbucks.

They could potentially make the PATH connection directly under Yonge St, as the mezzanine level is centred directly under Yonge and College. Knock out the north wall of the mezzanine, with a pathway leading north to both 460 Yonge and 501 Yonge (kill 2 birds with 1 path). Potentially add a street level connection around there too, give College station a 3rd exit (after the new south exit gets built, of course).

^ I feel that PATH expansion northward underneath (or parallel to) Yonge is a really bad idea.

All these new condos will result in a revitalization of Yonge, only because of the population increase in the Yonge Carlton vicinity. What I don't want to see is PATH extending its reach and as a result, sucking everyone indoors.

Revitalization requires pedestrian presence on sidewalks, not inside malls; I think we have sufficient proof of that on the parts of Yonge that are in the vicinity of Eaton Centre.

wow great piece of retail history! would definitely like to see some of these images if they materialize!

yongecollege1930.jpg

yongegrenville1952.jpg

yongecollege1.jpg

Looking at that first pic, its a shame they knocked down those buildings to build this crap at 460 Yonge.
I guess truthfully theres not much left of anything on Yonge street.

Last edited:
^ I feel that PATH expansion northward underneath (or parallel to) Yonge is a really bad idea.

All these new condos will result in a revitalization of Yonge, only because of the population increase in the Yonge Carlton vicinity. What I don't want to see is PATH extending its reach and as a result, sucking everyone indoors.

Revitalization requires pedestrian presence on sidewalks, not inside malls; I think we have sufficient proof of that on the parts of Yonge that are in the vicinity of Eaton Centre.

But the PATH connection wouldn't be an underground mall, it would just be an underground connection to the subway, very similar to what already exists at College Station with the connection to College Park. I agree that I don't think retail would be appropriate in that underground PATH, I just see it as a direct underground connection to the areas north of College station.

What's crappy about it? It's nothing to put on a postcard home to Mom but it's hardly offensive, the retail is great and includes one of the last pubs left on Yonge Street between Gerrard and Bloor that actually draws people over to Yonge Street after 10pm. Think a bar will replace this once a condo goes in? No. Probably a copy shop and dry cleaner. The Baystreetification of Yonge Street continues.
[/URL]

The retail is not great and what tells you a pub will not be part of the new building. Has it even been confirmed that it will be a condo. No. There have been past developers who would have liked to have an office building in that area.

"Probably a copy shop and dry cleaner. The Baystreetification of Yonge Street continues."
Again you seriously have no clue of what you're talking about.

Speaking of Sizzlers, this may not be the most relevant information in the world, but they appear to have been evicted. They're closed and there's a notice of termination taped to the door, dated today.

Looking at that first pic, its a shame they knocked down those buildings to build this crap at 460 Yonge.
I guess truthfully theres not much left of anything on Yonge street.

To be fair, what was knocked down was equally "crap" to c1950(?) eyes.

As for PATH connections: any roundabout basement possibility from the east via 2 Carlton?

The reason I advocated incorporating Oddfellows Hall into a condo/hotel development is because I fear for it's future as is. Currently, the exterior is in 'ok' shape but the interior is pretty messy and could use a serious injection of $ to make it attractive to tenants. As new developments pop up in the neighbourhood the value of the property goes up along with it's property taxes and at only 4 storeys I think the landlord will find it increasingly challenging to cover costs. If that scenario holds true, I feel the building will fall farther into disrepair to the point where it is not viable to repair it. We've seen this happen many times over in the city so why not secure the future of the building now, even as a facade.

Back