Toronto YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198.42m | 62s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Nov 30 2018
20181130_131514.jpg

Guys.... the podium got even worse. Introducing the new and improved podium with after-thought cutout windows!

308DA87D-B67A-4F28-BD70-FE7AB30A1EDC.jpeg

Overall, I like this tower. The crown is a bit clunky, but there is the pool and common area housed there. I don't however, like the podium. Too much colour treatment, and the black marble is just kinda there. Looks like it was designed by a committee. I'll just have to look up as I pass by :cool:

I don't however, like the podium. Too much colour treatment
There's the answer to all of us complaining there are only shades of grey being used in modern developments. This is one of few cases someone added a noticeable splash of a color, and there you go, "too much color". Reminds me of the guy complaining about the orange fins on the 60 Colborne podium as appallingly orange...
Maybe there is actually a good reason all our new buildings are just shades of grey. I thought that it was lazy architects/developers shoving garbage down our throats. But no-one is shoving car colors gown people's throats, yet just like with the new buildings, 90%+ or cars on the road are in various shades of grey.

There's the answer to all of us complaining there are only shades of grey being used in modern developments. This is one of few cases someone added a noticeable splash of a color, and there you go, "too much color". Reminds me of the guy complaining about the orange fins on the 60 Colborne podium as appallingly orange...
Maybe there is actually a good reason all our new buildings are just shades of grey. I thought that it was lazy architects/developers shoving garbage down our throats. But no-one is shoving car colors gown people's throats, yet just like with the new buildings, 90%+ or cars on the road are in various shades of grey.
Is this legit or a troll? Anyway 60 Colborne and Livmore was praised by 99% of UT and will probably win best of their categories, respectively, in the polls. So the fact is that most people on UT like colour when it's done well. The issue with YC is that it's disgusting, not that it has colour. And I don't see how cars are related to buildings. Most men like blue suits, another irrelevant fact.

I'm just pointing out the parallels in some of the complaints about 60 Colborne and YC. Here is a screenshot from 60 Colborne front-page comment section:
1545079849305.png

60 Colborne: too orange, just like Pizza Pizza down the road
YC Condos: too red, just like McDonald's across the street

I am personally in the camp of "the more color the better, stop the grey madness, please!", which is also why I would never willingly buy a silver/black/white car. Apparently, 90%+ of people don't share that sentiment with me regarding the cars. It is just an idea that occurred to me today that perhaps these people also like grey buildings and complain about any color splashes used in architecture.

As far as this podium goes, I'm not sure what the disgust is all about.I haven't seen this podium in person yet, but from the pictures it looks okay-ish. Red spandrel is infinitely better than even more grey spandrel IMHO.

I'm just pointing out the parallels in some of the complaints about 60 Colborne and YC. Here is a screenshot from 60 Colborne front-page comment section:

60 Colborne: too orange, just like Pizza Pizza down the road
YC Condos: too red, just like McDonald's across the street

I am personally in the camp of "the more color the better, stop the grey madness, please!", which is also why I would never willingly buy a silver/black/white car. Apparently, 90%+ of people don't share that sentiment with me regarding the cars. It is just an idea that occurred to me today that perhaps these people also like grey buildings and complain about any color splashes used in architecture.

As far as this podium goes, I'm not sure what the disgust is all about.I haven't seen this podium in person yet, but from the pictures it looks okay-ish. Red spandrel is infinitely better than even more grey spandrel IMHO.

Most people here aren't bothered by the colour at YC Condos, and in fact that was one thing people praised about the design when it was first published. The problem is that it was initially proposed to be terra cotta and ended up being cheap spandrel glass.

The shade or red/orange chosen is possibly the last of a long list of concerns about this building. People on here have already voiced their main concerns which revolve mostly on the value engineering so evident in the final product. The mess of mullions, spandrel overload, lack of a coherent vision and a general disregard of the historic Oddfellows Hall to the south are all striking shortcomings that have most on this forum yelling for a ban of G+C from the city.

The shade or red/orange chosen is possibly the last of a long list of concerns about this building. People on here have already voiced their main concerns which revolve mostly on the value engineering so evident in the final product. The mess of mullions, spandrel overload, lack of a coherent vision and a general disregard of the historic Oddfellows Hall to the south are all striking shortcomings that have most on this forum yelling for a ban of G+C from the city.
If it was rendered with terra cotta originally, then that's what G+C was shooting for. That it's spandrel glass in the end, that's what Canderel value engineered it down to.

Back