Toronto X2 Condominiums | 160.93m | 49s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

I think they are going down 6 to 7 levels. A few months back I spoke to someone on site and they mentioned 6 1/2.

A few days ago I figured they hit ground on the West end, as I saw a stone slinger launching gravel into the pit. But judging from the photos, they still have a ways to go.

I took this picture when shooting some Liberty Place projects - it shows how they get the dirt out once the ramp is gone.

I remember this same topic coming up in the Casa thread way back when so I dug around (no pun intended) - http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...-Yonge-Cresford-46s-aA)/page14?highlight=casa (post 197) & if you go back one and two pages, you'll see how the last of the dirt was removed prior to the machine removal at the Casa site.

Crane going up today. A bit cold, but I"ll try to snap a pic if I go out. Edit. Apparently I was mistaken. No crane today.

Last edited:
I was walking by the site this morning and all of a sudden a loud horn started going off. The foreman up top ordered all the workers out of the excavated area and they quickly scurryed out. Everybody on site then went across Charles St. clear of the site. Any idea why this would happen.

I was walking by the site this morning and all of a sudden a loud horn started going off. The foreman up top ordered all the workers out of the excavated area and they quickly scurryed out. Everybody on site then went across Charles St. clear of the site. Any idea why this would happen.

.. they found Godzilla!
.. no, joking aside, sounds pretty serious. I'm guessing it wasn't a drill... Maybe they had a potential collapse of dirt or whatever those things that keep the dirt supported are on the edges of the sites... what do you call those things again?

It was probably just a drill. In theory every job site is supposed to have them from time to time.

.. they found Godzilla!
.. no, joking aside, sounds pretty serious. I'm guessing it wasn't a drill... Maybe they had a potential collapse of dirt or whatever those things that keep the dirt supported are on the edges of the sites... what do you call those things again?

Piles, lagging, and tiebacks.

Excavation Update

Talked to a construction worker from X2 yesterday. He said that they are currently on P4. He said they are going down another 2 more levels so about 20 more feet down. He said excavation should be done in another month.

They are pouring cement into the pit today. Could this be prep for a crane?

I think you are right. PUMPCRETE was on site today, which can only mean pouring for the crane base. We could see the crane installation happen this weekend (finally - after weeks of delays).

X2-22-02-2012.jpg

I think you are right. PUMPCRETE was on site today, which can only mean pouring for the crane base. We could see the crane installation happen this weekend (finally - after weeks of delays).

Would be nice, but my suspicion is that for a critical load such as the crane footings, with all the stress from the torque forces at the crane base, the concrete would require several days - a week or so - to cure and harden. When the crane is installed, the counterweights are put up as well, but there is no balancing load on the boom, so right away, the crane is relatively unbalanced.

So, I would think next weekend at the earliest, and possibly the week after. That would be consistent with what I have seen at other sites - however I am just a lay observer, and if anyone in the construction industry has specific information on how long a period is required from when the crane base is poured, to when the crane itself can be safely installed, it would be appreciated.

I assume that the crane has to be sitting on top of a pile, and I'd also guess that the base of the crane is welded to the top of the pile and also the rebar, so I don't know how much of a difference that block of concrete really makes.

I assume that the crane has to be sitting on top of a pile, and I'd also guess that the base of the crane is welded to the top of the pile and also the rebar, so I don't know how much of a difference that block of concrete really makes.

You may be right, but I must admit I do not recall ever having seen a pile being driven prior to construction of a crane base - normally just excavation of a square hole. Yes - from what I have seen there is also a rebar nest as part of the concrete base, but the frame which is inset into the concrete, onto which the crane base is bolted - I do not recall ever seeing it welded (or bolted) to the actual rebar nest. Even if the bottom frame of the crane which was embedded into the concrete were directly attached to the rebar nest - I doubt that the rebar itself would have much structural strength without the effect of the concrete around it - which comes back to the point that the concrete should have sufficient time to cure to the point where it provides the structural rigidity to properly support the crane's operational requirements.

Back