Toronto The Woodsworth | 58.21m | 17s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

Does anyone know what the reason for the apparent gap between this building and the older one on it's left (in the render) would be? Also, it seems to be set back by a few metres, which is also strange. Seems like it would be pretty easy to continue the streetwall if they just made it flush.

Yes; I’m wondering that, too. Why leave this gap in the street wall to the east? And why retreat from the sidewalk slightly? I wish we could have some unapologetic density for once.

Brad Lamb's source of inspiration?

https://instagram.com/p/yP7Wm0CBEY/

viceroy11bp-2-web.jpg

And notice how there aren’t any gaps to either side, nor does it retreat from the sidewalk; a solid street wall, as opposed to the Torontonian insistence on gaps.

I'm really liking this design. I love the set back as it allows a well defined patio out front without compromising the pedestrian experience.

The balconies could be forgivable if the same horizontal lines in the windows were matched through on the balcony windows.

Yeah I think balconies could work if they were designed differently. Right now the contrast between the horizontal lines of the balconies and the grid of the windows below doesn't work together.

I don't mind the front setback either, but I'd prefer if at least the lower floors went up to the adjacent warehouse building, I guess from the 4th floor they'd have to be setback from the side windows?

And notice how there aren’t any gaps to either side, nor does it retreat from the sidewalk; a solid street wall, as opposed to the Torontonian insistence on gaps.

What insistence on gaps? Most developments are built right up to the lot line.

What insistence on gaps? Most developments are built right up to the lot line.
I think he's referring to the gaps between buildings, something he mentions in numerous threads. And he's completely right, I think. Recent developments, given their use of podiums, mark an uncomfortable mix between the urban and the suburban: urban because they're large-scale developments allowing for high population density, but suburban because they're developed on clearly identifiable lots or plots of land the boundaries of which are physically separated from adjacent plots.

I'm not sure why the podium ever came into vogue at all. I find them clumsy, most of the time.

I think there are windows on the sides of both adjacent buildings, so gaps would be necessary.

That's indeed correct. Easement from adjecent properties have more to do with glazing on its neighbours and the requirement for access to the side or rare of the property than city planning ideology.

There are plenty of examples where new developments are built directly against the neighbouring building without any "gaps".

Although there are definitely examples of "gaps" that at least to me did not make sense.

That's a real shame about the balconies. Would have looked far more elegant with a uniform design.

Back