Toronto Women's College Hospital | 70.1m | 10s | P.E.B.

The light-filled corner rooms reinforce what the rest of the largely glazed exterior expresses. It would be nice to see renderings of the atrium too - no alarmingly"girly" gestures like the interior of Koerner Hall, one hopes.

The Washington DC reference is interesting.

This building appears very fortress-like. Its as if it was designed like an embassey that was able to withstand explosions.

The Washington DC reference is interesting.

This building appears very fortress-like. Its as if it was designed like an embassey that was able to withstand explosions.

Withstand explosions of pathogens, perhaps. Why shouldn't it be fortress-like? Why should hospitals necessarily convey values of transparancy and openness? What goes on inside is serious business. This looks institutional because hospitals are institutional. That said, there's lots of glazing here and what appears to be blond brick so it's hardly the Kingston Pen.

Last edited:
Does anyone know who's managing/operating the Kenson building now? I'd love to get in touch with them to discuss a short documentary I'm working on about development in the city. I'd also love to talk to anyone who's living there now...

BTW, this is what tenants will be getting to soften the blow of eviction;
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. The Tenant Assistance Plan:
Each tenant receiving notice of termination will be given 150 days notice,
three months equivalent cash pay out, return of last months rent, $500
moving expenses and all applicable interest on deposit together with the
following:
Tenants who are in occupancy of their units for the following lengths of
time will be provided with the following additional compensation:
One Year and Greater – will be given one additional month rent free;
Between 5 and 10 years – will be given two additional months rent free;
and
Greater than 10 years – will be given nine months rent free, and shall
receive a “top-up” payment equal to the difference in the current monthly
market rent of such unit within the building minus the actual amount of
monthly rent paid by the tenant multiplied by 12 months (or by a lesser
number of months if the tenant vacates their unit after September 1, 2009
but before January 31, 2010).
Tenants who depart prior to notice of termination being given shall not
receive the compensation package or the moving allowance.

This hospital is nested within an area of high-rises (Murano, Burano, RoCP, MaRS, upcoming government tower), and it's squat profile will be unbecomingly accentuated by it's willowly neighbours. Why the hospital wouldn't simply build taller and sell off surplus lands to finance the project interests me.

Hospital is probably not one of the uses that scales up well with height - I would be hard pressed to come up with examples that are significantly more than 20 floors high anywhere - not even Hong Kong. Besides, why should the hospital build taller just for the sake of not being "unbecomingly accentuated"?

AoD

Here are the renders:

Daytime from the southwest:

WmColHosp01Day.jpg

Nighttime from the southwest:

WmColHosp02Night.jpg

Daytime looking east:

WmColHosp03Day.jpg

Nighttime looking northeast:

WmColHosp04Night.jpg

Day looking east, Burano behind:

WmColHosp05WestFac.jpg

Day looking north:

WmColHosp06SouthFac.jpg

The lobby:

WmColHosp07Lobby.jpg

The lobby from the mezzanine:

WmColHosp08LobbyMez.jpg

Mezzanine view:

WmColHosp09Mez.jpg

Dermatology waiting area:

WmColHosp10Derm.jpg

It's hard to tell from the renders, but it seems this has lots of different materials being used. I think the beauty will be in the details with this one. Looks pretty awesome!

looks smaller than what currently exists ... surprising in this era of massive hospital expansion

Back