Toronto Women's College Hospital | 70.1m | 10s | P.E.B.

Mike, thanks for this. Are you able to clarify the role of the architects, since you mention Diamond + Schmitt will be designing the building, but there are different firms in the three shortlisted groups who will bid on the project.

It's a similar situation to Bridgepoint, I would imagine. KPMB/Stantec did the master plan and design, and the three shortlisted firms to build it are Tye Farrow, Montgomery Sisam, and D+S; I don't think they've announced the winner of that one yet.

From the Women's College Hospital Foundation Website:

Project Phasing video:
http://www.womenscollegehospitalfoundation.ca/Pages/Videos/New_WCH.html
- it would appear the historic deco block would be preserved.

Article from the Foundation Newsletter:

Values Written in Glass and Steel
Jane Pepino provides an update on the redevelopment of Women’s College Hospital

“We’ve waited a long time for this. We’ll have our fingerprints all over it, and it will fit us perfectly.”

That’s Jane Pepino, top Toronto lawyer and member of the Women’s College Hospital Board, talking about planning for the Hospital’s redevelopment project. Pepino has been involved with women’s issues for many years, having served as Chair of the Women’s Health Council, President of the Metro Action Committee on Violence Against Women and Children, and as a member of Jewish Women International and the Canadian Advisory Council on the Status of Women.

A former Board Chair at Women’s College, she was one of the leaders who fought for the Hospital’s re-birth in 2006. Pepino marvels that the differences between women and men – a founding principle at Women’s College – have been accepted by the medical establishment only in the past two decades. “At Women’s College we’ve always known that women have different treatment and care needs,” she says. “And it’s not just psychosocial differences – it goes right down to the cellular level. Now we’ve got the science to support that innate understanding.”

With more than 35 years of experience in land development, planning and zoning law, Pepino is the perfect person to lead the redevelopment process. The need, she says, is undeniable. “When you understand what medicine needs to do today and for the next 50 years, it’s clear that we have to frame it physically in a different way. If we’re going to continue to lead, we must have a better space to do it in.”

Designing a hospital is no simple matter. Over the past year and a half, block schematics, functional plans and an architectural concept have been developed. The City of Toronto approved zoning this spring and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care is now reviewing plans for final approval. After vetting seven responses in a Request for Qualification process, the Hospital is preparing to send its RFP for construction and management to three approved consortia in July. Each one has international experience with women’s hospitals. Says Pepino: “We’re going to get the best of the best about physical planning for women’s health from around the world. It’s thrilling to think about what we might see.” The bids will be received by year’s end, the contract awarded in early 2010 and Phase 1 construction will begin next spring.

Women’s College Hospital Foundation has committed to raising $70 million toward the total cost of the new building. Most of the remainder will be provided by the Government of Ontario. To date, the capital fundraising campaign has raised nearly $18 million toward the goal. The Foundation expects to raise an additional $7 million during 2009–2010. The new hospital will have several unique features, Pepino says. It will be designed to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification at the Silver level. It will also maximize natural light, and make it easy for patients to find their way around.
A large open atrium at the centre of the building will let in light and serve as a reception and event area. Above all, every aspect of the design will reflect the Women’s College Hospital vision, mission and guiding values. Says Pepino, “It will be our values written in glass and steel.”

Rendering:
WCHRendering.jpg

Document Link:
http://www.womenscollegehospitalfoundation.ca/Documents/Support/Future-Summer-2009.pdf

I quite liked the building - looks like something with massing and materiality that would fit in at Washington DC.

AoD

Last edited:
It looks very "institutional", somewhat cold, and with a hint or two of brutalism. I agree that it reminds one of Washington DC., a city which I am not really that fond of. Maybe it will grow on me.

My first reaction to this was not good, and this is exactly the kind of thing that I do associate with Washington. Perhaps it will grow on me.

It seems like the new Women's College, when completed, will be three buildings: the old Art Deco to the west, a central oblong extending between Grenville and Grosvenor, and an eastern highrise between the oblong and Burano, with a lower-rise portion on it's north end. Does it seems a safe thing to assume that this rendering is for the central oblong? I am finding it hard to reconcile the street pattern implied by the rendering with the animated graphic.

Nice and solid... but quite heavy on the mechanical up top. I wonder if it will be clad in brick or precast?

I think the 5s(?) is the first phase - if I recall correctly, the planning report to the city suggest a phased approach where they'd be able to build atop of this.

Simply Dan:

Limestone like the new TGH building would be nice - but don't hold your breath on that! I will settle for pale off beige brick like Bahen Centre.

AoD

Could this be the first sexist building in Toronto? Pepino notes that this women's hospital: “...will be our values written in glass and steel,” yet this iteration infers that women are cold, boring, unfeeling and unimaginative.

Back