Toronto Women's College Hospital | 70.1m | 10s | P.E.B.

I gotta say, that old apartment building has gorgeous windows.

Yup, original multipaned casements.

Ever since the pioneers tore down their wood shanties after a few years and replaced them with squared log houses we've been improving the city like this.

However, if any vestige of said wood shanties survived to this day, they'd surely be embraced as heritage artifacts (cf. the legend attached to that house on Broadview across from Riverdale Park)

Indeed, but this ain't that. It's the usual depressing historicist mishmash, trying for some sort of Neoclassical/Georgian effect. A portico with hypothyroid columns, a poor little front door dwarfed by them, a couple of grandiose windows with fan lights squeezed in at the sides, and windows on the upper floors that don't relate to any of this.

Go Bernini ... or go home!

http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/italy/rome/andreaquirinale/0020.jpg

Just goes to show, to each their own.

Urban Shocker finds this depressing:
ken1.jpg

I find this depressing:
nightmare_on_elm_street.jpg

Go figure...

That's a nice building, nice apartments inside as well.

I wouldn't put too much weight on the opinion of that woman with the pink hair ;)

Of more interest than Muirhead's dreary pastiche at the Kenson, is his Art Moderne 222 Lansdowne - home to Knob Hill Farms in the '70s and '80s. At least it was an attempt at something contemporary - albeit a decorative take on Modernism.

I'm with shocker on this one. The window frames are interesting but the rest of the design is very pedestrian. The oversized portico looks like it was sourced from a McMansion design catalogue and clashes with the rest of the building.

Perhaps I was wrong about the portico's gigantism - it may be pituitary, not thyroid, in nature.

Is there a doctor on the forum?

Of more interest than Muirhead's dreary pastiche at the Kenson, is his Art Moderne 222 Lansdowne - home to Knob Hill Farms in the '70s and '80s. At least it was an attempt at something contemporary - albeit a decorative take on Modernism.

Except that it was the most mundane part of the now-gone River Rouge-y factory it belonged to...

I think of it more as Paul Rudolph homage, myself. That said, I wouldn't huzzah its praises over the shambling homeliness of the Kenson, either...

Back