Toronto Alaska | 30m | 10s | Bianca Pollak | aLL Design

There goes my old apartment ...

We used to live on Strathgowan. I assumed this was going on Sheridan's site first. I didn't remember the SE corner at all. Our landlord (one of the fourplexes on the S side) was a pretty strange guy. If he's still there, he'll fight it just on misguided principle. That said, it's a great place for a midrise.

Passers-by should definitely look out for possible avalanches, if not slaloming skiers, in winter.

2779 YONGE ST
OPA / Rezoning 13 123068 NNY 25 OZ Ward 25
- North York Feb 21, 2013 --- --- --- ---
Rezoning application to permit the re-development of the lands for the purposes of anew mixed use building, 10 stories in height complete with retail at grade and 130 residential units above, including 28 rental replacement dwelling units. Included in the proposal is 110 vehicular parking spaces located in a below grade parking facility to serve the development.

The NIBY-ism for this project has started in the neighbourhood. There is a petition circulating the neighbourhood. People don't have a problem with the height, it is the design.

I personally like the design (and I'll probably get roasted for this next part) but I don't like this project for the neighbourhood its being built in and I hope it isn't approved. It doesn't fit with the feel and character of the neighbourhood it is potentially going to be in. I personally believe that taking the existing neighbourhood into account is important when designing a project in an established neighbourhood....especially one like Lawrence Park.

Strathgowan already gets packed and hectic with Sheridan Nurseries. Imagine adding in traffic from a 120-unit condo into the mix!

This project will have to grow on me personally. I'm also worried about the developers ability to deliver such an advantageous project. Moving walls and unique design....can you say over budget and over schedule.

The NIBY-ism for this project has started in the neighbourhood. There is a petition circulating the neighbourhood. People don't have a problem with the height, it is the design.

Yeah... Okay.

And I'm not even surprised the 'burbs (yes, it's north of Eglinton, so to me you're in the 'burbs) want more conservative (read: worse, historic-y schlock) design. These objections are always somewhat fascinating.

And P.S. I don't mean to disparage anyone personally, but overall there seems to be an infuriating collective mindset of those in all the single-family detached - regardless of location - with these ridiculous backlashes against development.

Yeah... Okay.

And I'm not even surprised the 'burbs (yes, it's north of Eglinton, so to me you're in the 'burbs) want more conservative (read: worse, historic-y schlock) design. These objections are always somewhat fascinating.

And P.S. I don't mean to disparage anyone personally, but overall there seems to be an infuriating collective mindset of those in all the single-family detached - regardless of location - with these ridiculous backlashes against development.

Link: https://www.change.org/petitions/to...t-the-alaska-condominium-at-yonge-strathgowan

3018 Yonge was approved with little to no backlash at Yonge and Lawrence. That is taller (Albeit by 2 floors).

If Alaska gets built, I'm fine with it. I'm just saying overall I'd prefer to see something that fits better with the feel of the neighbourhood. In 5 years I probably won't even care. The traffic though with the garden center and the condo will cripple that street.

I know some people get upset like someone pissed in their corn flakes when any development proposal gets made in their neighbourhood. I'm not one of those people. I usually have an opinion on the building (like most people) but I'm not hell-bent on rising up against developers. I'd consider myself pro-development.

I can appreciate your opinions, though why is a more classic design "worse"? I'm not someone who needs everything old and stuffy, though I enjoy the blending of old and new.

I personally like the design (and I'll probably get roasted for this next part) but I don't like this project for the neighbourhood its being built in and I hope it isn't approved. It doesn't fit with the feel and character of the neighbourhood it is potentially going to be in. I personally believe that taking the existing neighbourhood into account is important when designing a project in an established neighbourhood....especially one like Lawrence Park.

Strathgowan already gets packed and hectic with Sheridan Nurseries. Imagine adding in traffic from a 120-unit condo into the mix!

This project will have to grow on me personally. I'm also worried about the developers ability to deliver such an advantageous project. Moving walls and unique design....can you say over budget and over schedule.

Why? Context is just something that happened a long time ago. Why carry other people's baggage?

3018 Yonge was approved with little to no backlash at Yonge and Lawrence. That is taller (Albeit by 2 floors).

I can appreciate your opinions, though why is a more classic design "worse"? I'm not someone who needs everything old and stuffy, though I enjoy the blending of old and new.

Really, I could have sworn reading some stink about that a while ago but maybe not. Maybe it's more conservative style and being closer to a main intersection and subway station lessen it.

Of course everyone has their own aesthetic preferences, but when you try to mimic a style from a far-gone era, not to mention with vastly inferior materials, it almost always looks tacky. Some are better, some are worse, some are terrible. Overall pretty bad, and I think many would agree.

Edit: I should mention I love a variety of materials - especially brick and stone - but they were not used well in the above instances.

Back