669     0 

Toronto will miss its goal for bike lanes

S

simply Dan

From the CBC: www.cbc.ca/toronto/story/...60531.html

City will miss its goal for bike lanes
Last updated May 31 2006 10:39 AM EDT
CBC News

Toronto is falling behind on its promise to build 495 kilometres of bike lanes in the city by 2011, a delay that cyclists say is leaving them in a dangerous position on the streets.

With an average of over 1,200 car-bike collisions and three deaths reported each year, cyclists say the lanes are essential for safety. And despite promises to build more bike right-of-ways, there still aren't enough of them.

Just 90 kilometres of lanes have been built so far, with only 15 kilometres added in the past two years.

"It's so much better, and cyclists will tell you that," says Martin Ries, an avid cyclist and bike activist who has worked for years with the Toronto Cycling Committee. "Whenever they get into the bike lane they breathe a sign of relief. Myself included."

Ries blames a lack of political will, but Coun. Joe Mihevc, Ward 21, a supporter of more bike lanes, says the issue is more complicated than that.

"It's not just a matter of wishing a bike lane on a particular street," he says. "There are issues of parking, making sure the lane widths are wide enough, making sure you can actually provide safety for the cyclist.

"And there's the community consultation to make sure residents feel comfortable with it and buy in to the process."

Bike lanes, for example, can affect the number of on-street parking spots on a stretch of road, and that worries local merchants who see parking as essential to economic survival.

Mihevc insists the current council has done more than any previously, earmarking $6 million next year for bike-lane construction. But he admits it isn't likely the goal of 495 kilometres will be met within the next five years.

And that leaves bike enthusiasts frustrated.

"Ultimately for cyclists, it doesn't ever seem to change …"

What excited me about the bike plan was the use of some of the railway and hydro corridors that would link the suburban 416 as well as even some of the 905 together. Imagine a bike path, using a mostly-grade separated path, with low gradients and straight as an arrow along the CN Newmarket sub that would connect downtown and Parkdale to St. Clair, the Belt Line Trail, Downsview and York University - it's in the bike plan, but will that ever see light of day?

use of some of the railway and hydro corridors
huge opportunity with hydro corridors but forget the railways they seem to think there will be a resurgence with railways and wont give up the space. Take a look at all the railway track in the port lands, they won't give it up. They must think as long as the Hearn is still up there might be demand for rail delivered coal. I remember growing up as a kid in the east end and huge amounts of exhaust coming from the big chimney and the taste it left in your mouth when the wind blew up from the lake.

I don't even like the bike lanes much we have now. They still are to mixed in with the general traffic. I prefer bike lanes that are totally seperated from the main roads. Just feel safer that way.

I was thinking, in suburban 416 it would not be that hard to build bike lanes totally seperated from traffic, on all major roads. Just use the huge amounts of grass on each side of the roads, to build a bike lane a couple feet in from the main road.

I don't even like the bike lanes much we have now. They still are to mixed in with the general traffic. I prefer bike lanes that are totally seperated from the main roads. Just feel safer that way.

On suburban arterials it might work, but those in-boulevard paths sometimes pose as much danger to cyclists as riding on a sidewalk. I may sound dogmatic here, but keeping cyclists and motorists separate increases the supposition that cyclists don't belong on the roads.

I think that while bike lanes are important, so too are the suggested on street routes. Biking on the side streets can be even easier than using a bike lane such as College, which has so much interference from parked and turning cars.

Perhaps a more realistic plan is for the city to use better signage on some of the better off street routes. In addition, it could do something like paint dots on the curb of each suggested route so that you don't have to worry about navigating a complex network of side streets.

Yesterday I biked up to the belt line trail from downtown via side streets like Old Forest Hill Road and Dunvegan. It was a much better and safer cycling experience than marked bike lanes on an arterial road.

If you guys live along Dupont and need a really quick way to get downtown on a mountain bike, use the CP rail corridor. It's really easy to access from as far away as Lansdowne, and you have your own private bridges across all roads as far as Avenue Road. It's a very wide, private right of way and the gravel surface is in good condition.

Technically it's trespassing but I'm not going to sit around like a chump while the city stalls on constructing bicycle lanes.

I see guys like you from my back deck going along the tracks. It's good for walks too.

I like main roads, side streets have too many stop signs and at least on main roads there is the chance of green lights. And keep the bike lanes on the street, not separate. It's too controlled the other way...you can only "get off" when there's an opening.

As a cummuter and recreational cyclists, I much prefer separated cycle lanes (e.g., Martin Goodman trail). The one proposed by West 8 along Queen's Quay is excellent! Barring that, then put a decent curb to keep out selfish drivers from parking in the bike lanes - with trees please.

^The DVP trail was quite good on a day like yesterday but gets really busy on the Goodman trail near Lakeshore.

What I really like is the HOV lanes on arterials like Don Mills, Eglinton, etc. The only problem with these lanes is the sometimes lousy road surface; but otherwise, they're excellent!

What I really like is the HOV lanes on arterials like Don Mills
Even with those lanes, I find Don Mills pretty scary to cycle on (especially up around Lawrence).

Back