Toronto Cherry House at Canary Landing | 50.32m | 13s | Dream | COBE Architects

Congestion is an undersatndable concern. The distillery simply can't take much more foot traffic IMO. Or they'll have to change the Christmas market. It gets busier and busier each year. Obviously Christmas market is for a month out of the year, but even during weekends especially during nice days the distillery can get pretty cramped. At some point it will take away from the charm if i hasn't already.

Congestion is an undersatndable concern. The distillery simply can't take much more foot traffic IMO. Or they'll have to change the Christmas market. It gets busier and busier each year. Obviously Christmas market is for a month out of the year, but even during weekends especially during nice days the distillery can get pretty cramped. At some point it will take away from the charm if i hasn't already.
The Distillery was a great site for Christmas Market when it had few inhabitants, Those days may be ending and when even more people live there the Market (which attracts more people each year) really may have to move. Just as Woofstock moved from St Lawrence Market part of Front Street to Distillery abd now Queen East at Woodbine Park.

71B0CF8B-E57E-44A1-B338-B049747AB2B7.jpeg

The Distillery was a great site for Christmas Market when it had few inhabitants, Those days may be ending and when even more people live there the Market (which attracts more people each year) really may have to move. Just as Woofstock moved from St Lawrence Market part of Front Street to Distillery abd now Queen East at Woodbine Park.
I doubt that a straight move to another location is coming, but I could see a second Christmas market start up that might take some of the strain off. Maybe once Mirvish Village is finished, for example—what Westbank says it wants for the public realm at that site might make for a good location for such things…

I doubt that a straight move to another location is coming, but I could see a second Christmas market start up that might take some of the strain off. Maybe once Mirvish Village is finished, for example—what Westbank says it wants for the public realm at that site might make for a good location for such things…

There's a month-long Holiday festival currently at the Stackt Market, a concept that began this year. Not as large of an attraction as the Distillery but it does provide an alternative on the west side of downtown.

Stackt won't be around forever though, so yes it would be ideal if a Christmas market can develop more permanently elsewhere in the future.

One issue we're facing with the overcrowding in the Distillery District during the Christmas Market is that we've failed to build the kind of warm and vibrant market squares that are perfectly suited for Christmas markets. The Distillery District's de facto public square on Trinity Street and the brick laneways are the right setting, but the spaces weren't designed to host such events and don't have the capacity.

The key is to have a square with plenty of space, that's enclosed by many warm and beautiful buildings that are "human scaled" (not monotonous walls of concrete or glass), with attractive pavements, lighting, and monuments/public art. It's something that doesn't seem to be taught in architecture and urban planning schools anymore.

One space that could work well as a traditional cobblestone market square would be Front Street between Jarvis and Church streets. The neighbourhood has hosted markets since the earliest decades of the city's existence. It's time that it gets a proper market square.

The market should have more breathing room once No 31 / 33 Parliament and the SHOP/Quadrangle buildings are done and the southern side of the distillery district can be activated further. It's a shame they chose to have townhomes fronting what could have been a continuation of tank house lane at block 8. It again would have given the market room to stretch out past Cherry street to the east. I guess it doesn't help that the district is literally walled off along Cherry and Mill streets.

looking at local projects:

- 2 to 3 towers, ribbon building south of distillery.
- new low rise condos in Canary
- affordable housing at Front/Trinity and Mill/Cherry
- Data centre at Front/Parliament
- Parliament Park taking up the car wash block
- Portland buildings, Sidewalk, Aqua-family of buildings on the lake
- East Harbour project. Whatever that becomes.
-Staples getting turned into condos

I feel as though the Christmas market crowd may get squeezed out by residents within the next 6yrs or so, as more people become inconvenienced by visitors and get vocal. We’re also filling up our parking lots and failing to add more transit to the area.

I remember when Nuit Blanche started, and they had a ton of stuff around Liberty village-because they hadn’t built up yet. Now the events there have been pushed to Lamport stadium, because folks moved in.

the Aboriginal health centre could have community space for something, or maybe the Portland’s. There could be something at St Lawrence Market North when that comes online. The George Brown arbour building, it’s nursing school and the innovation centre might combine for something. Daniels Arts hosted a craft fair last Christmas I believe.

looking at local projects:

- 2 to 3 towers, ribbon building south of distillery.
- new low rise condos in Canary
- affordable housing at Front/Trinity and Mill/Cherry
- Data centre at Front/Parliament
- Parliament Park taking up the car wash block
- Portland buildings, Sidewalk, Aqua-family of buildings on the lake
- East Harbour project. Whatever that becomes.
-Staples getting turned into condos

I feel as though the Christmas market crowd may get squeezed out by residents within the next 6yrs or so, as more people become inconvenienced by visitors and get vocal. We’re also filling up our parking lots and failing to add more transit to the area.

I remember when Nuit Blanche started, and they had a ton of stuff around Liberty village-because they hadn’t built up yet. Now the events there have been pushed to Lamport stadium, because folks moved in.

the Aboriginal health centre could have community space for something, or maybe the Portland’s. There could be something at St Lawrence Market North when that comes online. The George Brown arbour building, it’s nursing school and the innovation centre might combine for something. Daniels Arts hosted a craft fair last Christmas I believe.
Failing to add more transport to the area? An Ontario line subway station is coming.

This may sound contrary to the point, but I really admire that COBE keeps very similar to the original scheme. When you go through the changes, they seem all very thoughtful and restrained, but composed and well-thought through. As opposed to just making changes for the sake of the scheme being a complete departure to appease the crowd. Seems to highlight the integrity of the studio to stay on a course and prove it can work.

That being said, it seems that the majority of the work here went into redesigning the courtyard. Also one level of parking, so that'll make this a rather fast construction coming out of the ground.
A few excerpts below:

8.JPG

9.JPG

5.JPG

10.JPG

7.JPG

4.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

3.JPG

Revised plans submitted on April 24th, courtyard and pedestrian connection enlarged, heights adjusted.

One of the reasons I'm really happy that Cobe is doing a bunch of work in the city is to see how/if they're able to drag Toronto developers along (and work with local suppliers) to spring for good material detailing, which is a hallmark of many of their projects in Denmark. As the post above illustrates, they've envisioned a pretty robust diversity of finishes for the tower and podium components, and from the landscape plans, I love the lighting they've spec'd (I imagine there was coordination between Cobe and Public Work on the latter).

In particular, I'm liking the hanging feature (ELT-03), which they envision being strung overhead across both entryways to the courtyard -- this is a great way to signify the entrances and to encourage pedestrians to circulate through the courtyard, it's a welcome bit of whimsy in a city that's sorely lacking for it, and is also a really nice nod to Copenhagen, where strung lights that are somewhat similar to the one they've spec'd are a well-known hallmark of the city's urban design (they're strung across many downtown roadways).

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 10.16.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 10.21.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 10.20.54 AM.png

Back