Toronto Cherry House at Canary Landing | 50.32m | 13s | Dream | COBE Architects

I'm amazed Dream isn't pushing for more density here. the now rather old master plan's densities for this site seem very low given that this is directly beside a planned subway station now. It doesn't need a bunch of 40 storey towers - but surely more than a couple of 8 storey midrises..

I am excited that Dream and COBE is handling this - especially given what we have seen for Block 8.

AoD

Oh, I'd seen those partners in thread title and just assumed that I was reading the Block 8 thread; imagine my pleasant surprise upon landing here and realizing my error!

I'm amazed Dream isn't pushing for more density here. the now rather old master plan's densities for this site seem very low given that this is directly beside a planned subway station now. It doesn't need a bunch of 40 storey towers - but surely more than a couple of 8 storey midrises..

The 'Simple Massing Study' sheets in that deck only seem to model the parameters of the old West Don Lands plan. I'm not sure that they're intended to be taken as anything concrete in terms of the density being sought here. I could be wrong though.

Recall that this site, Block 8 and and the Grenville / Grosvenor site were all vended as a package in 2017. Between the three, the expectation is for a minimum of 30% of the RGFA or approximately 600 affordable units.

Anyone who was able to attend the DRP meeting today have any details/photos from the presentation of this project?

Docs up on Waterfront Toronto: https://waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe/wcm...&CACHEID=2ffde481-1b3e-47de-974a-61dd2665ebca

There is a lot more detailed information on the site plan, landscaping and materials in the doc. Definitely worth reading through.

Last edited:
Yikes. I want to like it because it will really contribute to affordable housing in the area, but it looks like a compound. Despite an attempt at varying the volumes, I think the view along Front Street will be monotonous.

I really wish they had designed the east and west side buildings to use different materials.

The Mill Street building is fantastic, however.

Last edited:

Back