Toronto Cherry House at Canary Landing | 50.32m | 13s | Dream | COBE Architects

If Toronto were filled with mega-blocks like this, that would be a problem. But I enjoy variety in my cities, and there is nothing like this (at least done well) that I can think of. The design of the facades, which look to have a fair bit of depth, is quite nice. And the density is quite appropriate for the location, with a significant affordable component and large suites to boot. I say build it!

It’s interesting to see early renderings for what they have in mind, but I’ve learned not to get too attached or concerned about first looks. Just good to see progress. I’m glad they’ve got sizeable ground level retail sales though, and hope it will be geared to more daily usage. With the amount of residential being added to the area, we need to keep folks out of the cars and walking to local business. The “health” district needs a pharmacy at least.

The relentlessness of the materials and facade treatment is pretty bold and striking. I love it, but I can see how it's not the best contribution to a varying patterned urban fabric. No doubt DRP will make them break that puppy up. COBE's project in Summerhill went through the same process.

But let's just take a moment to appreciate taking such a huge block and making a courtyard building out of it. So appropriate, that space could be lovely. It also looks like a Copenhagen harbour, so yes!

The City is holding a Community Consultation meeting where you can learn more about this application ask
questions and share your comments.
Details are as follows:
Date: Monday, December 9, 2019
Time: 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm
Place: Lucie & Thornton Blackburn Conference Centre
80 Cooperage Street, 2nd Floor

The City is holding a Community Consultation meeting where you can learn more about this application ask
questions and share your comments.
Details are as follows:
Date: Monday, December 9, 2019
Time: 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm
Place: Lucie & Thornton Blackburn Conference Centre
80 Cooperage Street, 2nd Floor

Just a reminder that the meeting is tonight.

I've never been to a community consultation, but I want to express some concerns I have about building an entire City block this way. To some of you, it might seem cool, but I pass by this every day and the lot is MASSIVE.

Personally, I don't think the way we build interesting neighbourhoods is to have a single architect build monoliths.

Last edited:
To give you an idea of the scale, here is the development site compared to an equal area of development along Front Street, which contains five separate buildings, including a courtyard and large-scale institutional use.

Capture.JPG

The property was sold to Dream. The reality is they are going to develop this as a whole site. Your best bet is to lobby for good urban and architectural design.

A single architect that knows what they are doing can produce something that at least mimics the piecemeal development of an established urban area. The Mirvish Village on the former Honest Ed's site is a good example of that.

The property was sold to Dream. The reality is they are going to develop this as a whole site. Your best bet is to lobby for good urban and architectural design.

A single architect that knows what they are doing can produce something that at least mimics the piecemeal development of an established urban area. The Mirvish Village on the former Honest Ed's site is a good example of that.

Absolutely, my issue is not with it being done as a whole site (I'd rather it be developed quickly), or the density or height, whatsoever.

It's that it clearly reads as a compound with no architectural variation along a 180m frontage.

When I think of areas I want to live in and walk around, it isn't that. I'll bring up the Honest Ed's example. Good idea!

Absolutely, my issue is not with it being done as a whole site (I'd rather it be developed quickly), or the density or height, whatsoever.

It's that it clearly reads as a compound with no architectural variation along a 180m frontage.

When I think of areas I want to live in and walk around, it isn't that. I'll bring up the Honest Ed's example. Good idea!
You should visit Europe, I've heard it's nice

Just a reminder that the meeting is tonight.

I've never been to a community consultation, but I want to express some concerns I have about building an entire City block this way. To some of you, it might seem cool, but I pass by this every day and the lot is MASSIVE.

Personally, I don't think the way we build interesting neighbourhoods is to have a single architect build monoliths.
So, how was the meeting?!

So, how was the meeting?!

Was interesting and very well attended. I’d say 70-80 people were there, many from the buildings on Mill Street.

The comments ranged quite a bit. Lots of praise for affordable housing, but some concerns regarding the height and density on the south side. Some concerns about the proposed through street on the south side. A somewhat surprising reveal was that there’s a planned commercial parking lot on one floor, which didn’t please the anti-Christmas market congestion crowd.

There were some positive comments on materials. I think a consensus point was that the proposed POPS courtyard was not accessible or visible enough and would never be used by members of the public as a leisure space. Planning kept its cards to its chest but I have a feeling that feature might need revision.

Overall, the mood was respectful and I’m happy I attended.

Back