Toronto Oak House at Canary Landing | 162.61m | 46s | Dream | Henning Larsen

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Going before the Dec WT DRP:

10:30–11:45
1West Don Lands Block 20 –Issues Identification
10:30 1.Introduction: Leon Lai, Design Review Panel Manager, Waterfront TorontoHenry Tang, Senior Community Planner, City of Toronto
10:40 2.Presentation:Michael Sørensen, Partner, Henning Larsen Architects
11:05 3.Questions and Discussion
11:25 4.Panel Comments
11:40 5.Proponent response

AoD

This is the skinny parcel next to the rail corridor, south of Block 8. Quite a cluster of Danish architecture forming here.

Map:
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 10.58.48 AM.png

Last edited:
A bit of context from the presentation: this lot was originally planned to be a parking garage serving all of the west don lands + distillery, but given that other WDL buildings have been built with underground parking, there is less parking demand than anticipated and I believe this is being planned as mostly office, potentially with retail on the ground floor. The crash wall required on the rail corridor side is being explored as a major design feature. The Cherry Street switching tower currently located near the streetcar loop will be moved to the far east end of the site. I think the plan is to have the parking here built as part of Block 8 to the north, though there will still need to be vehicle access for loading and servicing.

125R MILL ST
Ward 10 - Tor & E.York District

Official Plan & Zoning by-law Amendment application to facilitate the development of the site for 45-storey and 32-storey mixed-use towers atop a 6-storey podium. A total of 24,353 of non-residential gross floor area, and 54,455.0 square metres of residential gross floor area and 661 residential dwelling units are proposed.

Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
OPA & Rezoning​
20 151415 STE 10 OZ​
Jun 2, 2020​
Application Received​

Saw this image posted in a ULI article.

No indication this is an actual rendering of the project as it mentions the work COBE and Dundee Kilmer are doing on the left side at block 8.

Regardless it provides context for the scale being envisioned at a minimum if it isn't the actual project
Foundry-Park-Tankhouse-lane-DKT800.jpg

125R MILL ST
Ward 10 - Tor & E.York District

Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
OPA & Rezoning​
20 151415 STE 10 OZ​
Jun 2, 2020​
Application Received​

45s is a super aggressive height ask for this site; will be interested to see by how much Planning wants to negotiate it down. Though you can see from their most recent WTDRP submission that they were already trying to set the table for how a clothesline should be interpreted -- I would think they're teeing up a settlement somewhere between the Gooderham towers and RC3 (40/37 and 29):

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 1.36.06 PM.png

This was surprising to me (from the cover letter):

Especially given that Block 8 is, what, roughly halfway excavated?

Edit: Ah, I see where it's referenced in the CL: "With respect to phasing, the rail safety measures for Block 20 are planned to be completed prior to the completion of Block 8."

So I'm wondering if they're just referring to completing the rail corridor crash wall (as opposed to the whole Block 20 development) prior to the completion of Block 8.

Last edited:

Back