Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

That second parapet misses the point of the original architecture entirely. The Art Deco castillation needs to be seen against the sky, not shrouded by the horizontal line of a sheet metal soffit.

agreed neubilder - this all seems a bit watered down and misses the point of salvaging the original architecture....that being said, I just want this project to get started...the area badly needs this...

agreed neubilder - this all seems a bit watered down and misses the point of salvaging the original architecture....that being said, I just want this project to get started...the area badly needs this...

I agree, most of us want it to proceed and will take that..... watered down or not, it beats this structure sitting around for another 10 years deteriorating.

ideally it would have been 100% authentically restored, but part of me wouldnt mind seeing a peaked glass structure running down the middle of the roof to create an atrium effect inside. I have no idea if that would even be possible with what they have planned for the upper floors. but I think it would add an extra layer of interest to mix a modern element with the heritage structure.

anyways, full speed ahead with this! what it offers the neighbourhood is far more than physical architecture. It will be the center of the community. I do still think that the busy nature of the Bathurst/Lakeshore intersection will make it a less than wonderful experience to get to and then back home with bags in hand for the local residents. What is the plan for parking here, if at all?

Back a year or so ago when they did a presentation to area residents, there was a plan for parking, entered from the north of the building, exited from the east, on the 3rd or 4th level I believe -- combination of indoor/outdoor if memory serves. I know it's in this thread, but I'm too lazy to scroll back!

As someone who would be walking, crossing to the west is ok if you remember to push the button :) Crossing to the south is ok too. Crossing west then south is more problematic depending on the streetcars.

Lakeshore & Bathurst has been identified as one of the worst intersections in the city because of its confusing turns, streetcar and pedestrian crossings.

indeed, and thanks for the reply. my worry is that traffic can only get worse here with this new added destination coming online. I guess just avoid shopping during rush hour.

Traffic will only get worse. There is the rumoured supermarket for the Minto-Freed building as well (with underground parking), and all the residential development. Traffic will suck permanently.

I don't think traffic has become noticeably worse at Queen & Portland since Loblaws opened there. People in the neighbourhood arrive on foot and buy smaller amounts more frequently (not large hauls in the trunk of a car), and hopefully the neighbourhood at Front & Bathurst will behave the same. Lake Shore & Bathurst is more vehicle-oriented.

I agree, most of us want it to proceed and will take that..... watered down or not, it beats this structure sitting around for another 10 years deteriorating.

The only thing is that Loblaws made a big deal about preserving/rebuilding the facade as is. That they are backing away from it suggests that they are not keeping to their word on this particular issue - which was a significant part of the approval process.

Given how they intend to proceed on this project, there is nothing stopping them from rebuilding/reproducing what already exists.

I believe i heard, now there is going to be a major supermarket in one of the Onni development phases..i guess. while they settle what to do with this location:confused:

You may have mixed up Onni's development in Etobicoke (West Lake) which will have a Metros in the base, vs Onni's Garrison+Yards+Local @ Fort York project (which has no grocery store component in the podiums)

There was a Genie Lift and some temporary fencing all along the south side of the building this past weekend. Are we seeing some initial inspections?

Is there any news on the OMB application?

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 12 222660 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Aug 1, 2012

Project: Warehouse Multiple Projects

Description: Proposal to demo existing 1 sty portion of building on north side (below Gardiner Expressway), plumbing & drain work, and shoring for future street (Housey St). Future "LOBLAWS" location.

Back