Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

So, I noticed that what looks like the start of some scaffolding was coming up around the building today. Not sure if this is anything to be excited about? Probably just another film shoot or something, huh....

So, I noticed that what looks like the start of some scaffolding was coming up around the building today. Not sure if this is anything to be excited about? Probably just another film shoot or something, huh....

Just noticed this as well. Anyone have any information on this?

Talked to the guys working on the scaffolding today. They said that work is indeed starting on the new store. The plans include restoring the original brick -- they'll be removing it, restoring it and then reinstalling it.

Talked to the guys working on the scaffolding today. They said that work is indeed starting on the new store. The plans include restoring the original brick -- they'll be removing it, restoring it and then reinstalling it.

That's great! :) Is there any plan to have condos go on top of this building ('cause that would be the right way of densifying the area, especially since it's just outside the downtown area). Thanks.

FINALLY! Life comes to The Fort York Nieighbourhood and possibly a new bar/restaurant at 17 Fort York Blvd. The Fox and Fiddle has applied for a liqor licence. It's to be built into a 42 story condo, just west of Bathurst. Local residents are, of course, not happy about the situation and claim they already have a restaurant "a block away" at the St. Louis Bar & Grill. Is Spadina only 1 block away from Bathurst Street? Somebody get these people a map! lol I read this in the local rag, The Bulletin. Locals are claiming the bar/restaurant will casuse too much noise. I guess they prefer to live in a ghost town, in downtown Toronto. No stores, no restaurants, no people. What is wrong with these people? If I lived in Fort York, I'd be begging for stores, restaurants, bars, cafes and some signs of life. (as well as eyes on the street, for safety) Ship these people back to the 905, please! They don't deserve to live in downtown Toronto.

That's what happens when you build more condos downtown. Those people have to move from somewhere, and a lot of them are from the suburbs.

Is it transplanted 905ism, really, or just NIMBY-ism by numbers?

Though amidst the whole Cityplace-demographic controversies (y'know, Jersey/Lake Shore types and worse), I suppose that any sign of empty-nester inhabitants and attitudes might come to be disarmingly reassuring, in a way...

Hate to burst your bubble but, 17 Fort York Boulevard is in the West One block of Cityplace. The residents are right with respects to it being "a block away"

Why shouldn't they complain about noise? The problem is not with the complaining, it is when decision-making is driven by the complaints. Someone memo Rob Ford and Steven Harper.

Ship these people back to the 905, please! They don't deserve to live in downtown Toronto.

You've got be kidding me, seriously. I genuinely hate this type of attitude. I'm from the 905 and I fully support that area being developed; after Strachan/Stadium Ave, that whole area becomes a wasteland. Some stores, bars and night life would benefit that area.

Oh but I guess my opinion does count, right? Because I'm from the nasty 905? Oh right, I should get out of your town. Maybe the residents in that area are those who work long hours and have stressful jobs, or maybe starting a small family? And they've found an area of the city, that's quiet. Maybe they want to continue to enjoy that way of life? Or hark! Maybe they're native Torontonians who've grown up and enjoyed a quieter downtown life?? God forbid!!

Seriously, I've only been apart of these forums for two weeks and I'm already mortified beyond belief at some of the attitude some people have. If I wanted a bitchfest about the 905, I'd read blogTO more often; I though there was going to be a more sophisticated and focused discussion here.

I hear you. I get the same from suburbanites regarding people who live downtown (pompous, spoiled, latte-swilling, etc....).

Back