Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

Glad to see the progress of the construction, I bought a unit in pre-sale and worry about the delay in completion by this summer 2019, since heard that it is common issue in CA. Frankly, although the exterior is not as good as our expectation and likely will be stunning in night time.

Glad to see the progress of the construction, I bought a unit in pre-sale and worry about the delay in completion by this summer 2019, since heard that it is common issue in CA. Frankly, although the exterior is not as good as our expectation and likely will be stunning in night time.
Yes, clearly better at night when the boring (and shoddy looking) exterior may be less visible.

What's that supposed to mean? We have a beautiful city.

I don't mean to be aggressively negative — just having fun and exaggerating a bit for comedic effect.

I love the city but I do think that is largely true. Toronto is a great city, but generally — in terms of our buildings, the state of our streetscapes, etc. — not a very beautiful one to me. Through the messiness and shabbiness and tackiness there is a kind of beauty that emerges and I've come to appreciate it. But to me at least, the city definitely looks better at night. As the spandrel recedes into darkness the city becomes glowing sheets of light. The city feels very dynamic and futuristic to me at night.

If you blur your eyes and stare into the half-distance at 6:22 pm on a partially-cloudy spring solstice, Toronto looks super amazing. I've heard you can even see Jesus giving the "thumbs up" sign in the reflection off First Canadian Place

So leave?
Why would I leave just because Toronto isn’t a physically attractive city? That would be a rather silly, trivial reason. I’m not going to abandon all of my family members, just so I can live in a more beautiful place. Despite Toronto’s general ugliness, it does have many beautiful buildings, charming neighbourhoods and other redeeming characteristics. The amount of park space/ravines and trails is also something that is important to me; though those areas could improve with greater investment and personal initiative (which I have done in my neighbourhood; not to toot my own horn).

I was born and raised in Toronto. Most of my memories are tied to this City, and basically everyone I know and love, lives here. I’m not going to leave all of that behind for something so frivolous.

I always find it odd that when someone objects to Toronto, in some way, that it is taken as a personal insult and the only way someone can respond is by telling that person to go live somewhere else; as if people base their lives around singular issues, such as what I described.

It’s not like Toronto’s messiness and delapidated buildings/public realm was consciously planned. They are a result of civic/political apathy and neglect. Instead of embracing this diminished state, I would prefer to see more action taken to make the City look more beautiful and presentable, rather than justifying and lauding its disheveled appearance.

Last edited:
Was someone grumpy today?

Is this how you generally engage people in a discussion? They offer one view of one aspect of something and your response is that they could just / should just leave? Jesus.
Must say that if I lived somewhere I though was ugly and squalid I wiuld probably leave (-or want to). It was a question that seemed reasonable to me. We got an answer involving nostalgia, family ties etc. Now, the job is to roll up your sleeves and help make the city LESS squalid and a place you want to be.

Now, the job is to roll up your sleeves and help make the city LESS squalid and a place you want to be.
Which is precisely what I said I have done with respect to my local neighbourhood. I relentlessly pestered my local councillor to remediate a severely damaged creek in a local ravine. After years of raising this issue, something was finally done, despite ambivalence, due to cost. I have also -- on multiple occasions -- undertaken rigorous spring cleanups of said ravine (on my own), filling dozens of garbage bags with litter that blanketed the ravine floor. I have also strongly advocated for murals to be painted in my neighbourhood, which has resulted in some beautiful additions in the last few years. I am not trying to draw attention to myself, rather, I am just demonstrating that I have done my own small part to help make the City a more pleasant place; speaking of which: no one here has claimed that they don't want to live here, rather, I, and others, lament the status quo. There is nothing unreasonable about expecting and wanting a more pristine public realm.

Back