Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

Cheer up! This beautiful (derelict) building has the potential to look stunning once complete. They are rebuilding it brick by brick so if it's done right, it should recapture the beauty of its glory days.

Last edited:
Can't wait until it's done. Not only will a nearby grocery store be a godsend (no more walking from QQ and Stadium to Fort York and Spadina for groceries), but it will turn a previously derelict (almost depressing) corner into one with light and life.

Now if only something could be done to improve pedestrian friendliness...

I wonder where the main entrance will be to Loblaws? Will it be along Lake Shore or in the 'back' by the Gardiner?

I wonder where the main entrance will be to Loblaws? Will it be along Lake Shore or in the 'back' by the Gardiner?

At the corner of Lake Shore and Bathurst I imagine.

EDIT: Scratch that, apparently not. Interesting...

5075-57074.jpeg

Cheer up! This beautiful (derelict) building has the potential to look stunning once complete. They are rebuilding it brick by brick so if it's done right, it should recapture the beauty of its glory days.

I'm sure that ultimately it will look pretty good, I'm just growing weary of every old building becoming a facade or sporting an unsympathetic glass hat.

This facade was restorable. The owner did try to lease it out for many years but, they never put any money into it. Much of Allied's success is that they didn't wait to sign leases before renovating. I just think the best way for Toronto to protect heritage structures from facadectomies is to cap densities and allow air rights to be transferred from these heritage sites to other sites. Will create taller buildings too.

I know it looks like that on the public art document, but I'm pretty sure that the pedestrian area (and art) is one level above the parking.

The tower design is just so uninspired—I can't help but cringe every time I see the project renders. Would've been nice to have a non-Cityplace development inject some much-needed architectural intrigue to an area so badly devoid of it. The addition of a surface parking lot would really be the final dagger.

Back