Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

Does anyone know what the activity at this site is for now? For the last week I have seen a variety of cars and trucks parked on the southwest side of the property. You can see a little bit under the garage and see men moving about... any idea what for?

An update courtesy of today's Globe, Business section, real estate classifieds.

2310232937_5d863ed3c2_o.jpg

I see in this post, construction to start late 2008 or early 2009. Has anyone seen any new info? Thanks

I think I saw that in the Globe a year or so ago as well. Loblaws hasnt been doing too poorly lately... and MLG has been cancelled, so I hope this one starts moving along.

I think I saw that in the Globe a year or so ago as well. Loblaws hasnt been doing too poorly lately... and MLG has been cancelled, so I hope this one starts moving along.

Maple Leaf Gardens has been canceled? When did this happen?

I hear Loblaws has signed up for the commercial space vacated by Home Depot in the RioCan/Tribute development at Queen and Portland. That's pretty close to this site, making me think its unlikely a Loblaws will also open here.

Daily Commercial News

I guess this is a good indication the proposed retrofit of the Daily Bread Food Bank (former Loblaw Groceteria Company Building) into a Real Canadian Superstore is moving forward ~

MODs ... could the thread title be updated to enable easier searching ? :)

Daily Bread Building Retrofit - RCS (500 Lake Shore Blvd W, Loblaws, 2s)

GROCERY STORE ALTS
Proj: 1324234-10
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
PREPARING PLANS
Real Canadian Superstore, 500 Lake Shore Blvd W, at Bathurst St, M8V
$26,000,000 est

Note: Owner is in negotiations with the City of Toronto to determine the scope of work for this project. Scope of work is subject to change as negotiations proceed. Design and construction schedules have not been determined. Further update Spring 2010.

Project: cast-in-place concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, brick veneer exterior, masonry exterior, metal deck roof structure, composition shingle roof, fuel fired heating system, package air conditioning/heat pump system, steam/hot water heating system, proposed construction of an addition and alterations to a heritage building with two levels of underground parking. Also proposed for this project is a two level parking structure with two levels of underground parking.

Scope: 25,921 m²; 2 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 3 structures; parking for 532 cars

Development: Alterations

Category: Retail, wholesale services

First report Wed Apr 13, 2005. Last report Thu Mar 12, 2009.
This report Mon Aug 31, 2009.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=b8c66ca0c3044d52a85eb4a6ae76a252da72d0f3&projectid=1324234&region=ontario

I guess this is a good indication the proposed retrofit of the Daily Bread Food Bank (former Loblaw Groceteria Company Building) into a Real Canadian Superstore is moving forward ~

MODs ... could the thread title be updated to enable easier searching ? :)

Daily Bread Building Retrofit - RCS (500 Lake Shore Blvd W, Loblaws, 2s)

GROCERY STORE ALTS
Proj: 1324234-10
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
PREPARING PLANS
Real Canadian Superstore, 500 Lake Shore Blvd W, at Bathurst St, M8V
$26,000,000 est

Note: Owner is in negotiations with the City of Toronto to determine the scope of work for this project. Scope of work is subject to change as negotiations proceed. Design and construction schedules have not been determined. Further update Spring 2010.

Project: cast-in-place concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, brick veneer exterior, masonry exterior, metal deck roof structure, composition shingle roof, fuel fired heating system, package air conditioning/heat pump system, steam/hot water heating system, proposed construction of an addition and alterations to a heritage building with two levels of underground parking. Also proposed for this project is a two level parking structure with two levels of underground parking.

Scope: 25,921 m²; 2 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 3 structures; parking for 532 cars

Development: Alterations

Category: Retail, wholesale services

First report Wed Apr 13, 2005. Last report Thu Mar 12, 2009.
This report Mon Aug 31, 2009.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=b8c66ca0c3044d52a85eb4a6ae76a252da72d0f3&projectid=1324234&region=ontario

This sounds like good news! Solaris, is this site generally accurate? Based on your experience how long do you this it would take to build the RCSS?

Thanks!

^ Daily Commercial News is highly accurate. They are in a sense the ultimate "insider" source of info for projects approaching the tendering stage. The emphasis is on opportunities coming up for contractors and subcontractors.

As for timing of this project, as their post says, it is pretty indefinite at this point. Loblaw has other priorities than the development of this property, although it will definitely happen in time.

Rumour (unconfirmed but believed reliable): Watch for Loblaw to have something to say within the next few months regarding their property on Dundas near Roncesvalles.

Last edited:
I can't help but feel they're going to butcher it somehow. Loblaws hasn't shown any urban or architectural sensitivity in the past.

You don't think so? Of all of the grocery chains, Loblaw stores have been the most progressive architecturally: they typically raise their more urban locations over the parking lot to avoid massive open-air lots (St. Clair Market, Queens Quay Market, Bayview Village) and they follow a modernist glass and steel bent on the exterior, whereas as Sobeys and Metro are typically old-timey peaked-roof brick or precast.

In this case, Loblaws knows they have a beautiful old building here, and I think there is reason to expect they will treat it well.

Back