Mississauga Wesley Tower at Daniels City Centre | ?m | 43s | Daniels | Rafael + Bigauskas

Those townhouses totally ruin the downtown-style urbanity.
I don't think so. Once fully built out, a stroll along the south-to-north (Wesley to SQ1 District condos) pedestrian mews will be pretty cool,...
1604270900129.png

^^
You actually like that? It screams tower-in-the-park.
Tower-in-the-Park often features a lack of walkways/through routes, places to sit, focal points, and may even feature a fence along the sidewalk to keep non-residents out. It also maroons the buildings in the middle of the lawns and surface lots, where these buildings all have a face on a street and likely street-facing retail.

None of that is the situation here.

^^
You actually like that? It screams tower-in-the-park.

There is nothing wrong with tower in the park when the park is actually a park. The issue people have with tower in the park isn't the fact that there are parks... it's the fact that what should've been parks ended up becoming private amenity space, parking lots, and parking garage ramps. This is none of those things.

There is nothing wrong with tower in the park when the park is actually a park. The issue people have with tower in the park isn't the fact that there are parks... it's the fact that what should've been parks ended up becoming private amenity space, parking lots, and parking garage ramps. This is none of those things.

It does create a major separation between buildings though, which is not very big-city -esque, especially when most of them in an area have parks like that.

It does create a major separation between buildings though, which is not very big-city -esque, especially when most of them in an area have parks like that.
Most people don't want to live in the Kowloon Walled City, they want space between the towers they look out of so that part of their views continue on into the distance. At ground level, however, if you walk along the fronts of these buildings on the streets to the west, north, and east, it will be continuous street-wall with only two short gaps along the north side where passages will take you into the park to the south (one one of those two passages will even be covered by podium floors). With the buildings having street-fronting retail all along the west, north, and east sides, this is simply not Tower-in-the-Park.

Other than density I don’t see this having a traditional downtown feel at all. It looks like what it is... a bunch of high rises and townhouses Surrounding a mall. Having said that I haven’t driven out there to have a walkabout. The keys words are ‘driving‘there ‘to see if it has a pleasant walking feel.

the area between confederation and duke of york isnt so bad. I think that due chiefly to the grid street pattern and relatively narrow streets. I can see that part accquiring an increasingly urban feel. but everything east of the mall is a mess for the time being.

Other than density I don’t see this having a traditional downtown feel at all. It looks like what it is... a bunch of high rises and townhouses Surrounding a mall. Having said that I haven’t driven out there to have a walkabout. The keys words are ‘driving‘there ‘to see if it has a pleasant walking feel.
You can take a bus there, you don't have to have motorized private transportation.

True enough however unlikely. Leslieville to Mississauga Centre and back how long would that take? I’ll look it up😀

Back